Disney To Announce Shanghai Disneyland After Olympics

duckburg85

Original Poster
Just read it over at IMDB.com today, I know it's coming from Jim Hill and he wont site any sources, but thought I should post it. I know this isn't new news, but thought I would mention it.

One crazy thing that was mentioned "the Chinese government has agreed to spend upwards of $40 billion on infrastructure".....

here is the link to the Jim Hill article
Look for Mickey to get Shanghai-ed in September

DisneyDellsDude

Is Hong Kong Disneyland really doing that good that they want to create ANOTHER resort?

I don't want Disney to become an overbranded theme park chain. (see Six Flags:lol:)

maryszhi

im surprised, but im sorry i dont believe it. i think they would prob. build one in europe. that way there will be two on each of the three continents(sp)

maryszhi

Is Hong Kong Disneyland really doing that good that they want to create ANOTHER resort?

I don't want Disney to become an overbranded theme park chain. (see Six Flags:lol:)
i hope not. i think two on three continents would be enough. it will be interesting to see what disney will do when all of the theme parks become for sale. i think disney needs to keep the themepark amounts to a min. if they go out and build more, then the attendence will be a yoyo, and many will have to close. case and point six flags.

I am all for growth but I hope now HKDL wont be the "Red headed Step Child".

Too late. I think HKDL was a mistake born of Glendale and Burbank foaming at the mouth to get anything built in China, and not wanting to wait for a better mainland site to come along.

It will be curious to see this year's attendance after the 20% drop the park had in its sophomore season.

duckburg85

Original Poster
"Hill also claimed that the park will mark a departure from the themes of other "Magic Kingdoms" in that it will be the first designed with the contribution of Pixar artists. "According to Imagineers that I've spoken with," Hill wrote, "Shanghai Disneyland will be the most Pixar-centric theme park on the planet."

I love the people at Pixar and the movies, but "Pixar-centric theme park on the planet." just sounds really really lame, With 40 billion dollars you would think they could try to create new and groundbreaking attractions, not that some of these rides wont be innovative, I just wish they would try to act like imagineers that made the original Disney parks....

wedway71

I dont mind another one in China,it is a huge country.
I dont see any Canibalization between DL and WDW and they are in the same country.

I think though,Disney should let HKDL flourish first and spend any money they would spend at a new one there.Add new Attractions and maybe even a version of Tokyo DL's Disney Sea since DKDL is right on a bay.

Then if the parks booms...then go and add one.

uklad79

im surprised, but im sorry i dont believe it. i think they would prob. build one in europe. that way there will be two on each of the three continents(sp)

We have 2 in Europe Disneyland Paris and the Studios. Both are a money pit. China like Japan laps up anything American so it will do well where as many Europeans have a distaste for Americanisation of the world.

The Empress Lilly

I think this is an excellent move by Disney - corporation wise.

China is simply so incredibly vast it boggles the mind. Two Disney parks still seem a on the low side.

Having said that, they will need to deliver this time. I don't think they'll get away with pulling another 'HKDL'. That is, an underdeveloped park. Going on the cheap works in America, but not in Asia. :rolleyes:

I think though,Disney should let HKDL flourish first and spend any money they would spend at a new one there.Add new Attractions and maybe even a version of Tokyo DL's Disney Sea since DKDL is right on a bay.

Then if the parks booms...then go and add one.
\

If I remember correctly Disney is required to add another park at the HKDL site or it will lose rights to the land. So we'll likely see a second under-developed park there, just so they can maintain the all-Disney island.

I wonder if they can out-underdo Disneyland Studios Paris?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Just FYI but there are six continents (Africa, Antarctica, Australia, Eurasia, North America, and South America)

tomm4004

Will all the restaurants serve Chinese food?

:)

I visited a modern mall in Beijing - just like you'd find in North America. They had a food court. It was the only mall food court I'd ever seen without a Chinese place!

As for Shanghai, I thought this was the better choice all along. It's tomorrow's Tokyo. I could never figure out why they built in Hong Kong on a fairly isolated island.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom