Disney Survey on implementing a $15 resort fee

skyphotographer

This "fee" will have more impact on those staying at value resorts than it will at deluxe resorts. The deluxe resorts are already priced so ridiculously high that nobody will notice an extra 15 a night. At a value its a 15 percent increase. Maybe that's Disney's plan, to get some of the "lower spending" guests to go away.

PhilharMagician

Part of me says "this is really stupid and annoying," but that never stopped me from going back when they charged for WiFi.

Not quite the same since WIFI was never rolled up into the resort price. When WIFI was added to the resorts you had to pay for it from day 1. NextGen somewhat forced the hand to offer it for free so everyone would have access. Now if TWDC goes through with this resort fee, they are taking standard amenities that have been always been included in your room price and then charging you a separate cost.

Brad Bishop

A rule in business is to never itemize services (says my entrepreneur professor). A la carte would in the end cost more to operate opposed to charging less or the same for all of it.

I'm not wholly against itemizing services. For example, it kind of makes sense that the airlines charge bag fees. If you take one bag then you pay one bag fee. If you take two bags then you pay two bag fees. Maybe you could make the argument that the first bag should be free because why would you fly if you weren't going overnight but you actually may be flying out in the morning for a meeting a flying back in the evening so you'd not need a bag fee. Anyway, I get it.

On the other end of the spectrum though is something like milk: "Milk is $2.50." "Ok.. I'll buy some milk!" "There's a mandatory fee of $.50 for the jug and cap." Stuff like that seems dumb that it's not included. I suppose it'd make sense if we lived in a society where we all took our jugs back to be refilled, but that's not our society.

Hotels, on the other hand, start playing the mandatory fee and it's really just a "hidden" fee. If you want to charge me a fee for using the gym then, OK, I can buy into that. Charging me a mandatory fee for the gym whether I use it or not is bogus. Same with the pool or WiFi or whatever. It just becomes a bunch of junk fees.

With the other examples you could see a way where you'd get out of it: Don't fly with bags or bring your own container. With the hotels it's a mandatory daily fee whether you use those services or not. At that point I think it ought to just be included in the price so I can comparatively shop. When it doesn't happen and I get caught by it (Looking at you Dolphin hotel) I get annoyed and the hotel and/or chain goes on my: Do not use them - list.

note2001

Not quite the same since WIFI was never rolled up into the resort price. When WIFI was added to the resorts you had to pay for it from day 1. NextGen somewhat forced the hand to offer it for free so everyone would have access. Now if TWDC goes through with this resort fee, they are taking standard amenities that have been always been included in your room price and then charging you a separate cost.
Hey - I have an idea for Disney: On top of the park pass price, charge a daily convenience fee on top of it for wi-fi in the parks and clean bathrooms with TP! Everyone with a pass has the surcharge, even if they're 4 or 94.

PhilharMagician

Hey - I have an idea for Disney: On top of the park pass price, charge a daily convenience fee on top of it for wi-fi in the parks and clean bathrooms with TP! Everyone with a pass has the surcharge, even if they're 4 or 94.

I remember as a kid, department stores had "pay" locks on the bathroom doors that required a dime to open. My mother would get so mad if I had to go.

njDizFan

I absolutely agree. I'm not defending this as a "good idea," I'm just pointing out that this is no more of a "cash grab" than any regular old price increase.
I'm not so sure The cost of a resort room is so fluid that you could not pinpoint an exact amount, like you could for a 1 day pass tothe MK. With all the different seasons and views, you could quote a room price at the Poly at $500 or $800 I certainly would not know if you were even close to being accurate. But adding a specific dollar amount to resort rooms across the board feels like something different.

90% occupancy rates are telling Disney that yes we could support a modest increase...why advertise it? $15/night would go mostly unnoticed at most resort prices. This must be aimed at gaining revenue not currenly being accesssed. Be it DVC units, tax benefits, or the beta test for implimenting add-ons for MM+_ or other ammenities

Brad Bishop

Part of me says "this is really stupid and annoying," but that never stopped me from going back when they charged for WiFi.

I actually prefer to pay for WiFi at hotels. I don't want it as a mandatory convenience fee per day but if I need it, I'd actually rather pay for it and get good WiFi (they now have an incentive to make it good) instead of the incredibly crappy (barely works or mostly doesn't work) Free WiFi at hotels, bars, restaurants, etc.

I don't even try to get onto free WiFi any longer because 95% of the time it's just crappy or flat out doesn't work. There's no money in it so no one maintains it.

I used to pay for the wired access at the Disney resorts and it worked. I'd carry my own travel router so it was WiFi in the room.

rob0519

Ok, so on our family's last, at least 10 visits, staying at a Deluxe Resort, we did not use Magical Express, did not use the Wi-Fi (our mobile carrier had faster response time), do not have children that partake in activities, did not use pool and did not use the exercise room. We used the resort as a place to sleep and eat. Another $30 (we always have 2 rooms) for services we do not use is simply ridiculous on top of the cut backs and raised ticket prices.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Ok, so on our family's last, at least 10 visits, staying at a Deluxe Resort, we did not use Magical Express, did not use the Wi-Fi (our mobile carrier had faster response time), do not have children that partake in activities, did not use pool and did not use the exercise room. We used the resort as a place to sleep and eat. Another $30 (we always have 2 rooms) for services we do not use is simply ridiculous on top of the cut backs and raised ticket prices.

if you don't use any of the amenities at a deluxe resort, why do you stay at them? Convenience?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I'm not so sure The cost of a resort room is so fluid that you could not pinpoint an exact amount, like you could for a 1 day pass tothe MK. With all the different seasons and views, you could quote a room price at the Poly at $500 or $800 I certainly would not know if you were even close to being accurate. But adding a specific dollar amount to resort rooms across the board feels like something different.

90% occupancy rates are telling Disney that yes we could support a modest increase...why advertise it? $15/night would go mostly unnoticed at most resort prices. This must be aimed at gaining revenue not currenly being accesssed. Be it DVC units, tax benefits, or the beta test for implimenting add-ons for MM+_ or other ammenities
That's why I think it's a bad idea. I have no objection to "cash grabs" in general. I do think it's a poor tactical decision to raise prices in a way that says "HEY, LOOK OVER HERE! IT'S A BRAND NEW LINE ITEM THAT YOU'VE NEVER SEEN ON YOUR BILL BEFORE."

I suspect the survey is to figure out how many people think like I do versus any people who might prefer seeing the price increase like that because it "looks like" they're paying for specific services.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
So does this mean Disney is going to restrict access to their resort wifi networks to confirmed guests?

Ha! Valid point. Do only Disney Resort Guests have to pay to play or does the Disney Resort Guests foot the charges for day guests?
Impressive perspective! Kudos.

JohnWD

Exactly. That is why they are doing this. They are permitted to add a fee for these NON hotel features (Wfi cost b4). No where in your contract does it say they have to give you EMH or wifi.
I don't think so, but you may be right! It's hard to not be pessimistic, but I'll be optimistic since we already pay for it and it's already split out.

• Support Facilities - The use of certain facilities, including without limitation, general support and structural improvements, hotel check-in facility, back of ce facilities, telephone equipment rooms, etc., are being provided to the Resort pursuant to the terms of either the Property Management Agreement or as a support facility under the terms of the Master Declaration, the cost of operating and maintaining such facilities being apportioned among its users including Owners and are included in certain of the Cost Components in the 2016 Estimated Operating Budget, including Administration and Front Desk, Housekeeping, Maintenance, Utilities and Member Activities. If the Resort was required to provide such facilities within the Condominium Property and solely for the use and bene t of the Owners, the cost of operating the Condominium Property would increase.

JohnWD

Ha! Valid point. Do only Disney Resort Guests have to pay to play or does the Disney Resort Guests foot the charges for day guests?
Impressive perspective! Kudos.
Hotel WiFi is part of the operating cost of the hotel. In general, the Hotel WiFi is only available within the hotel. WiFi in the parks and common areas are part of the WDW operating expenses. This WiFi infrastructure is in place to help all guests spend more money easier. :)

RayTheFirefly

Can we be real here? For those that do not live in the state of florida or stay in orlando for that matter: Will this really impact you staying at a disney resort? With every change, we always cry foul at disney yet will turn around and post we just booked a magical vacation lol. Just saying
I do not live in Florida or Orlando, and this will absolutely affect my choice for hotel. The ONLY reasons I ever justified staying on property (because of their being so overpriced, even when I use a cast member friend's discount) were exactly those perks (even if people think they aren't worth anything, I think they make the experience better). But this changes it. Why would I pay more for something that was already my only justification for paying more than other resorts? Also, I find resort fees shady and not respectable. It won't stop me from going to WDW (although the new ticket prices may - different topic), but it will probably ensure me not staying on property again.

hokielutz

Hotel WiFi is part of the operating cost of the hotel. In general, the Hotel WiFi is only available within the hotel. WiFi in the parks and common areas are part of the WDW operating expenses. This WiFi infrastructure is in place to help all guests spend more money easier. :)

But do the onsite resort Wifi beacons have separate access IDs vs the in park wifi? I haven't stayed on property in a while, but wondering if they could differentiate the two?
It would sure of day guests who might have a reservation to Chef Mickey's, but can't get on WiFi to make FP+ changes while eating breakfast, because they are not Onsite guests.

JohnWD

But do the onsite resort Wifi beacons have separate access IDs vs the in park wifi? I haven't stayed on property in a while, but wondering if they could differentiate the two?
It would sure **** of day guests who might have a reservation to Chef Mickey's, but can't get on WiFi to make FP+ changes while eating breakfast, because they are not Onsite guests.
They have separate ids.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
So does anyone have an issue with most of the non-Disney resort hotels already charging a resort fee? Or is the problem specifically with WDW charging this, as you see them as already having rates higher than the non-Disney properties in the area and don't want to pay more beyond that?

note2001

I'm not reading anyone here saying that this is about Disney room prices going up by $15 (although, it would add up) What it is, is about how Disney would present it to us. In the form of a fee, it has all the grace and tact of an ambulance chasing lawyer.

Decades of expensive, and successful Disney marketing indicating all the services that are included in the cost of your room on Disney property all undone in one little fee line on the receipt. Why would Disney shoot themselves in the foot like that?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom