Disney Survey on implementing a $15 resort fee

JohnWD

Eh, you forgot the end tag of "While offering less by making park-wide cuts and firings after showing record Q1 profits"
I don't think he said that, but I understand your view. Nobody likes price increases, but the "cuts" hit hard for those who used those services, and don't matter much to people who don't. I was looking forward to SWW myself - this year would be my first time. It's disappointing Disney "cut" it, but I am still going. On the whole, Disney is still magical for my family!

jaklgreen

I know you were teasing but ticket prices increase every year at a rate far exceeding salary raises. There is a point where 5% increases compounded annually become too much for people to pay.

Especially true for us since my husband has not received a raise in 4 years. The company stated that they need to keep costs low. But you bet your butt the greedy damned CEO got his raise.

DManRightHere

That's part of why this whole conversation is so ridiculous. Disney never plans to get rack rates on rooms. People act like they expect to sell out at rack rates and then the discounting is "proof" that the demand isn't there. If Disney labels a room $380, they always plan for it to sell at $285 (rough math). The reason they price high and discount is because it tricks people into thinking they're getting a deal, when in reality they're paying what Disney planned for them to pay in the first place. Anyone who actually does pay rack rates is just a bonus.

I'm going to use a really bad example.
Has anyone else heard about the "ala carte" pricing model survey? Someone over at DIS got one. They could only remember a few of the prices such as $5 for magic bands, $20 for 60 day access to FP+. The survey started with the $350.00 Deluxe room then gave suggested prices for DME, parking, WiFi etc. It looked like when it was all added up it would come out the regular hotel rate.

Why am I not confident that the $350 figure is anywhere in the realm of possibility.

A rule in business is to never itemize services (says my entrepreneur professor). A la carte would in the end cost more to operate opposed to charging less or the same for all of it.

ssidiouss@mac.c

I already stared splitting my Orlando vacations between staying at both Disney and Universals resorts a few years ago.. if Disney implements more nickel and diming with this silly resort fee thing I'll most definitely move my entire future vacations to staying solely at a Universal resort.

Uber is so cheap I can just bop to a Disney park for a day or two from there and still save money while enjoying the additional things Universal resorts offer that Disney cheaps out on. I used to like the magic of staying inside disney world.. but more and more I feel like I'm getting ripped off a bit. Especially when considering the price increases combined with cuts to the parks/resorts and now additional resort fee nickel and diming.

erasure fan1

So basically, whenever they give a blessed discount of up to 25% off, (which they have already raised the price to counter the discount price) it will be countered again with a resort fee per night. Hence, no discount. Sure doesn't create any brand loyalty.
I'm not too sure Disney really cares about brand loyalty right now. The reason being, they know people will show up no matter what the cost or offering. The problem is, erosion can be a slow process that one day down the road can lead to a major landslide. Disney is banking on the history of the brand out weighing everything and people will just come no matter what. The current model if not changed will only show its negative impact many years from now.

DManRightHere

I already stared splitting my Orlando vacations between staying at both Disney and Universals resorts a few years ago.. if Disney implements more nickel and dining with this silly resort fee thing I'll most definitely move my entire future vacations to staying solely at a Universal resort.

Uber is so cheap I can just bop to a Disney park for a day or two from there and still save money while enjoying the additional things Universal resorts offer that Disney cheaps out on. I used to like the magic of staying inside disney world.. but more and more I feel like I'm getting ripped off a bit. Especially when considering the price increases combined with cuts to the parks/resorts and now additional resort fee nickel and diming.

Well this is exactly what Disney wants. To take guests money to the point people do not find the value in it (and the guest stops or reduces spending).

DisneyJoe

But we would get so much we didn't have before with this new resort fee. haha

CdE0D-gWAAQtjoZ.jpg

@ScottGustin on Twitter

I find it curious that the usual Disney Copyright symbols aren't on every other official Disney term...

ssidiouss@mac.c

Well this is exactly what Disney wants. To take guests money to the point people do not find the value in it (and the guest stops or reduces spending).

After splitting my resort stays between staying at a Universal resort and a Disney resort a few years ago it really hit me how much Disney keeps cutting corners.

Small things like.. Cabana Bay, which is Universals value resort, always has a movie or two going at night. Disney resorts used to do this.. but I noticed the past few years some nights resorts have no movies and other nights they might just throw up a sign that says go to the nearby resort for tonights movie.. cheap cost saving move.

Cabana Bay also offers their own unique resort refillable mug. Disney used to do this but of course again they go for a cut and went the cheap route with bland Disney Parks mugs instead.

I could go on and on but I don't want too many people to start filling up my Universal resorts occupancy lol but you get the point.

CaptainAmerica

I'm going to use a really bad example.

A rule in business is to never itemize services (says my entrepreneur professor). A la carte would in the end cost more to operate opposed to charging less or the same for all of it.
I absolutely agree. I'm not defending this as a "good idea," I'm just pointing out that this is no more of a "cash grab" than any regular old price increase.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Have you ever asked? Just ask sometime to remove it if you do not use the service. Sometimes they will, sometimes they wont. I don't think that requires a dissertation to back up.

I know one major major hotel company that does not do this....even if you say you are not going to use the services/amenities included in the resort charge bundle.

disney4life2008

Can we be real here? For those that do not live in the state of florida or stay in orlando for that matter: Will this really impact you staying at a disney resort? With every change, we always cry foul at disney yet will turn around and post we just booked a magical vacation lol. Just saying

lebeau

Can we be real here? For those that do not live in the state of florida or stay in orlando for that matter: Will this really impact you staying at a disney resort? With every change, we always cry foul at disney yet will turn around and post we just booked a magical vacation lol. Just saying

If implemented, this change in and of itself would not prevent me from staying at a Disney resort. However, the cumulative impact of changes like this one have put me off WDW for the foreseeable future.

CaptainAmerica

Part of me says "this is really stupid and annoying," but that never stopped me from going back when they charged for WiFi.

hokielutz

a $15 per night fee on top of the cost of the resort, Florida tourism fees and taxes, a trip to a value resort just became a whole lot more expensive. $90 - $105 looks like more of a cash grab. For those staying in DVC or Deluxe resorts, this is a rounding amount... but a stay at the value just went up by almost another night. Along with all of the other recent cost increases... not a great PR move.

So does this mean Disney is going to restrict access to their resort wifi networks to confirmed guests?

Millionaire2K

I don't think Disney can add a resort fee to DVC members per our contract. Maintenance fee increases are another story, but must be presented and approved by the members.

Exactly. That is why they are doing this. They are permitted to add a fee for these NON hotel features (Wfi cost b4). No where in your contract does it say they have to give you EMH or wifi.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom