Disney Studios to get Lucas-Land?

silverboyd

alot of people think George Lucas is just known for Star Wars. He's done lots more. He's had his hands in tons of classic Hollywood movies. For example, Willow, Indiana Jones, etc....it could be a great expansion on Disney Hollywood Studios.

IROC it

At this rate, let's just call it "Harrison Ford's Highest Grossing Roles-Land."

I personally would just include American Graffiti to round out the Ford-Lucas collaborations, and we're all set.

Of course they'll need a Harrison look-alike to walk around the Star Tours area, or incorporate him on film somehow.

FWIW- I'd much LOVE the idea of a ST2.0 redo that has you seated behind Solo & Chewie instead of that doofus non-movie droid.

Enigma

Account Suspended
Forgert the cantina...They should build that uber-hip nightclub from Episode II: Attack of the clones. They could even have cast members walk up to kids and ask "Wanna buy some deathsticks?"

Since1976

I personally would just include American Graffiti to round out the Ford-Lucas collaborations, and we're all set.

I thought that would be cool too. A Modesto, CA area of Lucas-land would be great, with the cars, and diner, etc.

But then I remembered that American Grafitti is already represented at Universal Studios.

Oh well...

JLW11Hi

I dunno guys, American Graffiti? Willow?

I mean, I like these films, but is that really something that you would see represented in a mondern day Disney theme park? Not everyone would "get it".

I understand Star Wars has a big fan base. Probably the most notorious fan base in history. But wouldn't you think going full bore into theming an entire land on something like this would really alienate other guests? I mean, I like Star Wars, but as I said before, the films are already represented in the park. I could see adding some things here and there around Star Tours along with an updated simulator film, and maybe even making that are themed to Science Fiction films so you could incorporate other films of that sort.

Then again, I keep trying to think of live action films that Disney owns that would be worth creating attractions out of. I can't think of a ton that would really be popular enough with guests. I keep hearing obscure things like Willow and Narnia, but I don't think either of those would be as familiar or relevant to most guests.

Enigma

Account Suspended

I mean, I like these films, but is that really something that you would see represented in a mondern day Disney theme park? Not everyone would "get it".

What matters is that the attraction is good not that people "get it". Mr.Toad's Wild Ride is very popular and I bet nobody has even heard of the movie it came from. Same thing with Splash Mountain...of the tons of people who go on it daily have never seen Song of the South and im sure most haven't even heard of it.

I personally think Labyrinth and Dark Crystal would be perfect in a Jim Henson miniland.

And how would a Star Wars land be any different than a Pixar Land (which is being built as we speak) and a Harry Potter land (ditto) ??? Star Wars has more than enough content to support its own theme park yet people feel it doesn't even deserve a land?

tirian

^^ To the contrary, "The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad" has been released to home video twice, and is currently a "Gold Collection" title, which means that it will not be back in the vault any time soon. :cool:

I agree: Star Wars is one of the biggest pop culture items in U.S. history. It ranks high with Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, and Snoopy. A Star Wars mini-land will do extremely well.

jt04

I understand Star Wars has a big fan base. Probably the most notorious fan base in history. But wouldn't you think going full bore into theming an entire land on something like this would really alienate other guests? I mean, I like Star Wars, but as I said before, the films are already represented in the park. I could see adding some things here and there around Star Tours along with an updated simulator film, and maybe even making that are themed to Science Fiction films so you could incorporate other films of that sort.

Then again, I keep trying to think of live action films that Disney owns that would be worth creating attractions out of. I can't think of a ton that would really be popular enough with guests. I keep hearing obscure things like Willow and Narnia, but I don't think either of those would be as familiar or relevant to most guests.

Willow and Howard the Duck were mentioned as a joke. You have to be joking. Obviously they would not be considered. And to mention Willow and Narnia in the same sentence seems to indicate a lack of perspective by you. How bout instead of dwelling on what won't work, you write down something that you think would work. Be specific, can't wait for your great ideas!

Chezman1399

Imagine if they broke DHS into a few lands:

Disney Studios
Pixar Studios
SkyWalker Ranch
Henson Productions
ABC Studios
Hollywood Records(Disney Label that has bands like Breaking Benjamin and Hilary Duff I believe)

The only thing is if they started theming the entire park, I can't see how you could have some rides like RnRC and ToT next to each other.

jt04

Imagine if they broke DHS into a few lands:

Disney Studios
Pixar Studios
SkyWalker Ranch
Henson Productions
ABC Studios
Hollywood Records(Disney Label that has bands like Breaking Benjamin and Hilary Duff I believe)

The only thing is if they started theming the entire park, I can't see how you could have some rides like RnRC and ToT next to each other.

My guess is that RnRC and ToT are Hollywood (the place) that fall outside the Studios you mentioned. Kind of a catch all area for attractions that are "Hollywood" (a Hotel, and Rock and Roll Recording Studio). I love the idea of the Studios you mentioned and hope they do go in that direction. Brilliant. And there are all sorts of connections between them. Especially QUALITY ENTERTAINMENT. I think that is the main thing that makes them right in Disney's Hollywood Studios.

Epcot82Guy

I've really been looking at this a lot recently. I agree that the theme of Sunset is hard. But, I think tying areas to particular studios isn't as effective as elements of Hollywood, but that's just me.

What about this, though? I have always seen Hollywood Blvd. as celebrating the idea of modern Hollywood while Sunset celebrated the classic. Why not flip them? Make Hollywood Blvd. celebrate the look and glamour of classic, romanticized film. Then the GMR ties in very well as a celebration of the classics. You then have Sunset Blvd. as modern Hollywood. You have a record stuido tour, the nighttime spectacular, and an old, abandoned hotel that is just now rediscovered. It likely could use some additional attraction to tie it in, but that would solidify that area.

I know I've said it before, but that would break out quite nicely:

Hollywood Blvd. - Classic Hollywood ideals
Sunset Blvd. - Modern Hollywood
Animation Ct. - Traditional Animation/Classics
Pixar Place - Computer Animation
TV Circle - Classic television
Epic Dr. - Into major films
City St. - "Working set"
Commissary Lane - Characters come together
The Backlot - Pure "how to" of production

Chezman1399

That sounds good, I think any theming though should definately use streets or studios, since well, when you go to Hollywood, that's a pretty good portion of it well, except with hookers and stuff. However it's theme is a working movie studio and I like that best, honestly.

wiikraken

I could see this happening because Islands of Adventure is getting Harry Potter and Lucas films have a much larger fan base. I would rather go to a Park with a Lucas Land than a stupid Harry Potter land!

Epcot82Guy

I am really afraid of that because of the short shelf-life.

While both are very popular and have a huge following, I think an entire land themed to it is just not the traditional Disney style. I would much rather see some Lucas attractions in a more generalized theme in the park. Then individual attractions could be traded out/added without being specifically tied to Lucas properties.

Also, when it comes down to it, a large portion of the population ties Star Wars to Star Wars, not Lucas, so using his name may not carry as much as some may think. That especially goes for the younger audience.

Enigma

Account Suspended
^^ To the contrary, "The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad" has been released to home video twice, and is currently a "Gold Collection" title, which means that it will not be back in the vault any time soon. :cool:

Right. They only put there popular movies in the vault. Thats why you can walk into the local walmart and pick up the barebone dvd's for "Adventuers of mr. toad", "Sword and the Stone", "Robin Hood", "home on the range", etc. Heck, Disney sometimes even gives these movies away for free as part of a promotion.

darthjohnny

Also, when it comes down to it, a large portion of the population ties Star Wars to Star Wars, not Lucas, so using his name may not carry as much as some may think. That especially goes for the younger audience.

I doubt if this idea went through, they are going with "Lucas-Land."

But evn if they did, Lucas is basically a household name, so I think it would bring in a lot of people.

JLW11Hi

The other thing that's been bothering me is the idea that DHS would split up their different areas into "lands". The previous attempt at this was making the different areas into Streets. (Hollywood Blvd, Mickey Ave, Streets of America, etc.) I think this works to a degree, but to start making lands along with the streets just seems to further confuse the make-up of the studios. I would hope that if they made a "Lucas-Land" or "Pixar Land" they would totally reconfigure some of the layout in those areas, especially back by Star Tours and Muppet Vision. I think that area of DHS is the most confusing area to get around in any Disney theme park.

But anyway...ideas? I dunno, I'm not the one with lots of ideas. I guess I just thought there'd be more ideas out there than just Star Wars.

Epcot82Guy

I agree that is one of the worst parts of the current MGM. It is nuts getting around, especially SOA. I really think making the Muppets entrance through a major facade of NYS, really sectioning off the Toy Story Area, and finally adding a larger attraction back along where teh SF skyline area is would really help deliniate this. I can travel Disney with my eyes closed, and I still get really turned around back there.

Champion

I think you're all forgetting one important part of George Lucas and Lucasfilm.

Industrial Light and Magic.

The vast numbers of movies they have worked on is amazing, and it wouldn't be too much to at least consider the possibility that they could partner with one of the popular properties they have worked on and get that into Lucasfilm Studios (it just isn't going to be called Lucas Land.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom