Disney stock...

Slpy3270

Between the news of WDW Disney CMs probably never coming back and the possibility that Disney parks will likely face a Paul Pressler 2.0-era, the only reason Disney stock is exploding right now is because venture capitalists and hedge funds are scooping in and preparing for 2021 to be the year Disney is dismantled for parts.

There's no reason to believe the stock price rise is based on economic or market reality, especially if Black Widow is moved again or Disney doesn't return to 2019 levels for years.

Either that, or WDW Pro is being a bullter about the company's financial health. Either way, he and the bulls can't both be right.

seascape

Between the news of WDW Disney CMs probably never coming back and the possibility that Disney parks will likely face a Paul Pressler 2.0-era, the only reason Disney stock is exploding right now is because venture capitalists and hedge funds are scooping in and preparing for 2021 to be the year Disney is dismantled for parts.

There's no reason to believe the stock price rise is based on economic or market reality, especially if Black Widow is moved again or Disney doesn't return to 2019 levels for years.

Either that, or WDW Pro is being a bull****ter about the company's financial health. Either way, he and the bulls can't both be right.
The Walt Disney Company will be profitable in 2021 even if Disneyland remains closed and WDW has limited visitors. The Studios quarterly profits were $419 million because of the $454 million from the Direct to Consumers and International Division. BTW, the $454 million was up from only $90 million the prior year. In otherwords it looks like the Direct to Consumer and International will be paying the studios over $2 billion in the current fiscal year and probably over $2.5 billion. Revenue for Direct to consumer was up $1.4 in just the last quarter. The continued rollout in Latin America and Asia should continue in about the same amount plus HULU has increased their live TV package $10.00 a month so that should also add to the bottom line, so the only Division that may lose money in 2021 is Parks and Resorts. Disney is not going out of business and no other company is big enough for a hostile take over. The market cap of the company today is $277 billion, or $97 billion more than the $180 billion they were worth prior to the Fox merger.

seascape

The more I look at The Walt Disney Company and it's financial statements, the more positive I get. Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu should all be profitable in 2021 based on the number of customers Bob Iger predicted they would have in 2024 and said that all would be profitable then. Disney+ will have over 100 million customers soon and since each of the Streaming Services will be profitable and that billions of dollars a year will be funneled to the Studios and counted in that Division. I actually see over $3 billion a year added to the company's bottom line thanks to streaming, and that is a conservative number.

If the vaccine is available in the numbers that are predicted and all the domestic parks are open with no limits starting Memorial Day, the parks will start producing profits of $1 billion in the second half of 2021 and the Studios will start making hundreds of millions more from the box office. 2021 will be a much better year than 2020 but just think of how big 2022 will be!

seascape

Stock is acting very weird lately. No way this is normal considering that Disneyland may not open by next summer.
The stock is acting exactly as it should. It won the Christmas download race over HBO Max. The reality is that on the next conference call Disney will announce Disney+ has passed the 100 million customer count. Hulu and ESPN+ have also grown their customer base and Disney's streaming services are catching up to Netflix revenues.

No one is concerned about the themeparks right now as the Vaccines are being distributed right now and Johnson and Johnson's vaccine is going to be approved in January and it's a one shot vaccine and easier to produce. April is the month everyone who wants a shot will be able to get it.

Darkprime

I don't think the stock is doing anything weird at all. The U.S. has 2 COVID vaccines approved, With a third and fourth on the way with J&J most likely in January and NovaVax sometime in the spring. UK just had its first vaccine approved today as well. Its not unreasonable that Disneyland could reopen in some capacity by the summer. What will cause the stocks to fall hard is if the Biden administration announces another lockdown early next year. And film and tv production has to pause again for the duration of said lockdown. Messing up Disney+'s production schedule. The stock is still obviously riding high on the Disney investor day announcements.

Last edited:

Slpy3270

What will cause the stocks to fall hard is if the Biden administration announces another lockdown early next year.
We've never actually had a national lockdown and I highly doubt that Biden will implement one, either, lest he provoke the wrath of the GOP-controlled courts.

seascape

2020 is now over! One of the worst years ever for The Walt Disney Company's themeparks and movie theater business. However, thanks to the Fox Merger and streaming business the Company actually had a very good year in the stockmarket. Their stock closed at $181.18 a share today and now has a market cap of $328 billion as the stock price rose 26% for the year.

I know that many fans here hate Iger and Chapek but if it weren't for the decision Iger made, the company wouldn't be in the position to not only survive the Covid19 pandemic but thrive. Iger has left the company's movie studios in a position to have income from Disney+ and Hulu so they can still have profits even with the movie theaters closed. Thanks to that revenue stream Chapek can now start planning his legacy. 2021 will be profitable and 2022 and 2023 will be hugely profitable so Chapek can decide on expansion and leave his mark. What will it be? Continued international themepark expansion? Enter into different Entertainment Markets? The money is there thanks to Disney's streaming services.

It is time for Chapek to prove he was the right choice to lead the company and expand. Think of Entertainment beyond the parks. Build 2 or 3 major theaters with actual leg room, unlike Boadway, and put on real Broadway plays for guests to WDW. Restart Reflections on Bay Lake. Build a new moderate resort and another value. Expand the existing 4 parks. Build a new resort in India and a second in China. Invest more in Latin America and don't forget Africa. Think BIG! Build BIG. Take advantage of what you were given, the opportunity to imagine and provide entertainment to kids of all ages. Listen to your cast members who talk with your customers. Don't think of just the parks but the full vacation people want. Thrill rides are nice but most people want much more than just rollercoasters. Experiment with some smaller attractions like those on International Drive or in Branson or Pigeon Forge. JUST TAKE CHANCES AND DON'T SIT BACK AND JUST MAKE MONEY.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
2020 is now over! One of the worst years ever for The Walt Disney Company's themeparks and movie theater business. However, thanks to the Fox Merger and streaming business the Company actually had a very good year in the stockmarket. Their stock closed at $181.18 a share today and now has a market cap of $328 billion as the stock price rose 26% for the year.

I know that many fans here hate Iger and Chapek but if it weren't for the decision Iger made, the company wouldn't be in the position to not only survive the Covid19 pandemic but thrive. Iger has left the company's movie studios in a position to have income from Disney+ and Hulu so they can still have profits even with the movie theaters closed. Thanks to that revenue stream Chapek can now start planning his legacy. 2021 will be profitable and 2022 and 2023 will be hugely profitable so Chapek can decide on expansion and leave his mark. What will it be? Continued international themepark expansion? Enter into different Entertainment Markets? The money is there thanks to Disney's streaming services.

It is time for Chapek to prove he was the right choice to lead the company and expand. Think of Entertainment beyond the parks. Build 2 or 3 major theaters with actual leg room, unlike Boadway, and put on real Broadway plays for guests to WDW. Restart Reflections on Bay Lake. Build a new moderate resort and another value. Expand the existing 4 parks. Build a new resort in India and a second in China. Invest more in Latin America and don't forget Africa. Think BIG! Build BIG. Take advantage of what you were given, the opportunity to imagine and provide entertainment to kids of all ages. Listen to your cast members who talk with your customers. Don't think of just the parks but the full vacation people want. Thrill rides are nice but most people want much more than just rollercoasters. Experiment with some smaller attractions like those on International Drive or in Branson or Pigeon Forge. JUST TAKE CHANCES AND DON'T SIT BACK AND JUST MAKE MONEY.
One minor quibble: It was the linear TV channels that kept the company from going backwards (too much), not streaming so much... at least, not yet.

For the next plague in five years from now, it will be streaming that saves them as cord cutting progresses.

This should be a lesson to Disney to diversify a little more into ventures that are plague-proof. If they had good video games...

They should also create a backlog of strategic content, always having a years' worth of more content than needed to release when times are tough.

seascape

One minor quibble: It was the linear TV channels that kept the company from going backwards (too much), not streaming so much... at least, not yet.

For the next plague in five years from now, it will be streaming that saves them as cord cutting progresses.

This should be a lesson to Disney to diversify a little more into ventures that are plague-proof. If they had good video games...

They should also create a backlog of strategic content, always having a years' worth of more content than needed to release when times are tough.
Of couse as usual you are right that TV and Cable made a huge difference. But it was streaming that gave the Studios their profits as evidenced by the international transfers from Direct to Consumer to Studios. However, none of that matters because Chapek as to use thr profits to grow the company. If the market cap is not $1 trillion in 5 years Chapek must be considered a failure. I know that seems high but it's just over 3 times the current market cap and in 5 years Disney's streaming services will have a combined customer base at least 3 and probably 4 times their current count.

Indy_UK

I wonder if Adding Star Internationally will move the needle much on Subscription numbers? I doubt the 'man in the street' even knows that Disney bought Fox and it's all their content. I think the Marvel TV shows will give the biggest boost in subscriber numbers

Slpy3270

With DLP reopening being delayed to April and Disney likely giving up on releasing movies to theaters in the spring and summer (all but guaranteeing mass layoffs in the studio division a la Warner Bros.), I wouldn't be surprised if the stock is down by 50%, like under $100, at the end of the year.

Sure, the parks may all be open by then, but how are they going to go back to pre-pandemic profitability and strength by 2022? Follow Netflix's path and mass produce bull for D+ and treat every division of Disney that's actually profitable like they're fat that needs to be constantly trimmed? Bear in mind that AT&T is doing this crap and their stock hasn't even managed to crack $40 despite Hollywood trades and the Snyderbots calling their day-to-date strategy "forward thinking" and "genius" as thousands of WB and Turner employees are treated as expendable.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
With DLP reopening being delayed to April and Disney likely giving up on releasing movies to theaters in the spring and summer (all but guaranteeing mass layoffs in the studio division a la Warner Bros.), I wouldn't be surprised if the stock is down by 50%, like under $100, at the end of the year.

Sure, the parks may all be open by then, but how are they going to go back to pre-pandemic profitability and strength by 2022? Follow Netflix's path and mass produce bull**** for D+ and treat every division of Disney that's actually profitable like they're fat that needs to be constantly trimmed? Bear in mind that AT&T is doing this crap and their stock hasn't even managed to crack $40 despite Hollywood trades and the Snyderbots calling their day-to-date strategy "forward thinking" and "genius" as thousands of WB and Turner employees are treated as expendable.
Wall Street has the same info as you and they disagree.

Simba’s Mom

It would REALLY have to tank to get down to what I bought it for A few months after 9/11, I bought $1000 worth at $20/share Boy, wish I'd bought more!

Darkprime

Sure, the parks may all be open by then, but how are they going to go back to pre-pandemic profitability and strength by 2022? Follow Netflix's path and mass produce bull**** for D+ and treat every division of Disney that's actually profitable like they're fat that needs to be constantly trimmed? Bear in mind that AT&T is doing this crap and their stock hasn't even managed to crack $40 despite Hollywood trades and the Snyderbots calling their day-to-date strategy "forward thinking" and "genius" as thousands of WB and Turner employees are treated as expendable.

That seems a bit dramatic. I've seen analysts have a much more positive outlook on the movie industry. The vaccine rollout is well underway and with actual leadership I think the U.S. can get the pandemic under control in around in 100 days. With a solid mask mandate and actual restrictions. Would that mean a lockdown under Biden who knows? But if you guys can get COVID under control by Spring. Theaters and parks could hypothetically then reopen in the summer.

mharrington

I'm not sure if this is the best place to put this, but...

I don't know how reliable @WDW Pro is, but (s)he produced an article (which was put up on Clownfish TV) which stated that Disney is running out of money, which explains why they had stopped work on the Tron and Guardians coasters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom