Disney Stock Price

erasure fan1

The stock price has nothing to do with the parks right now. The earnings suck because of the entertainment division. Prices will increase until people stop going.
Well in my opinion I can't help but think that Disneys complete lack of respect for the parks and its guests, have impacted the entertainment side. I would bet that there are more people like myself that aren't as gung-ho on Disney just because of how the parks have gone over the last 5 or so years especially. I know it's not the majority, but it's part of the equation in my opinion. I don't make it a priority to run out and see the latest offering, or buy the blu-rays, soundtracks... We used to go to the parks every year. From 94 through 2016 we went every year except the 2 years my kids were each 5 months old. We haven't been back to the parks since, and interest has significantly dropped off on all things Disney in our household. Maybe it's just me.

JoeCamel

Well in my opinion I can't help but think that Disneys complete lack of respect for the parks and its guests, have impacted the entertainment side. I would bet that there are more people like myself that aren't as gung-ho on Disney just because of how the parks have gone over the last 5 or so years especially. I know it's not the majority, but it's part of the equation in my opinion. I don't make it a priority to run out and see the latest offering, or buy the blu-rays, soundtracks... We used to go to the parks every year. From 94 through 2016 we went every year except the 2 years my kids were each 5 months old. We haven't been back to the parks since, and interest has significantly dropped off on all things Disney in our household. Maybe it's just me.
The retail investor has little influence on $DIS. They are simply too little of the pool to even make a ripple. If your name is Vanguard or Blackrock it is different but Joe from Denver with his six voting shares won't move the meter if he sells out.

flynnibus

Premium Member

What Is the January Effect?​

The January Effect is a perceived seasonal increase in stock prices during the month of January. Analysts generally attribute this rally to an increase in buying, which follows the drop in price that typically happens in December when investors, engaging in tax-loss harvesting to offset realized capital gains, prompt a sell-off.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
It’s not just you, these boards are littered with stories, dating back 2 decades, of people whose kids get older and have done everything and don’t want to go anymore, and say it’s because Disney parks changed.

Maybe, but your situation changed too, everyone’s does, every year.

You aren’t going but the parks have never been busier so someone is going in your stead.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

What Is the January Effect?​

The January Effect is a perceived seasonal increase in stock prices during the month of January. Analysts generally attribute this rally to an increase in buying, which follows the drop in price that typically happens in December when investors, engaging in tax-loss harvesting to offset realized capital gains, prompt a sell-off.

So the $104 drop in 18 months is gonna be offset next Tuesday?

I better search my cushions for loose change to buy up 💰👍🏻

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s not just you, these boards are littered with stories, dating back 2 decades, of people whose kids get older and have done everything and don’t want to go anymore, and say it’s because Disney parks changed.

Maybe, but your situation changed too, everyone’s does, every year.

You aren’t going but the parks have never been busier so someone is going in your stead.
You realize this can be misconstrued as “Lord Disney, my master, can doth do nothing wrong”, correct?

CastAStone

Premium Member
You realize this can be misconstrued as “Lord Disney, my master, can doth do nothing wrong”, correct?
My point is that park attendance is great and has literally nothing to do with the drop on the stock price. It’s all about structural market things and DMED.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My point is that park attendance is great and has literally nothing to do with the drop on the stock price. It’s all about structural market things and DMED.
Today?…no…

But there is some structural uncertainty wirh parks as well that will become more of a nuisance to Bob the coward as well.

Structural market things? DMED?
Ambiguous and intriguing

But this is 2022 performance on the Dow 30…I guess it academically could’ve been worse?

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

CastAStone

Premium Member
Today?…no…

But there is some structural uncertainty wirh parks as well that will become more of a nuisance to Bob the coward as well.

Structural market things? DMED?
Ambiguous and intriguing

But this is 2022 performance on the Dow 30…I guess it academically could’ve been worse?
It certainly is extremely likely that at some future date the stock will be highly impacted by something or another related to the parks. Hopefully for our sakes, a positive thing.

CastAStone

Premium Member
I’m not debating whether Disney had a good year, they obviously didn’t. Read their quarterly press releases or their 10-Qs to see why though. It wasn’t theme parks! Parks knocked it our of the park, all year. Especially domestic theme parks, which are broken out in the 10-Q.

mysto

I've been trying keep quiet about this, but I just can't help it.

In March of 2021 quarterly earnings were .32 per share and the share price was $203. That's a P/E of about 160, historically a normal P/E is 20 or so. If you bought the entire company for that price it would take you 160 YEARS to earn your money back. !!! What is that, 5 generations to break even?

The question is not "why has the stock dropped". The question is how did it ever get so high?

November 2022 quarterly earnings were .30, stock price $100. The P/E is still 83. WAY too high.

Would you go to the bank and buy a CD that promises to return your money in 83 years with no interest paid? The only reason to buy this thing is because you expect to sell it to someone else for even more.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Seems like the industry itself is tanking

To me, this is what anyone with any basic business sense saw coming. People weren’t going to keep subscribing to every new streaming service.
It seems that - at least to Wall Street - there was never really any “there” there…

And that’s what both bobs are getting crushed for.

It makes a lot of sense if we pull back and look at the trajectory over the last 5-10 years…

Any tv/revenue scheme is not gonna pump up quarterlies…EVERY quarter. That defies logic.

So if that’s what they really promised…behind the scenes? They’re gonna get racked.

They better pivot back to “solid Disney” with their push of products across the spectrum…which is EXACTLY what made them last and not pursue “Wall Street darlings”.

Or sell to Bezos now and pull the ripcord.

Goofyernmost

The stock price has nothing to do with the parks right now. The earnings suck because of the entertainment division. Prices will increase until people stop going. That’s how capitalism works friend.
People tend to either forget or refuse to acknowledge that the Parks are only one division of TWDC. That's the part that most of us see so that must be all there is. Short term the company can continue to live off the income of the Parks, but that isn't a long range plan especially considering the continued short range planning for the parks. It catches up eventually. The question is when!

Goofyernmost

Disney has a weird sort of solid fan base, they will go no matter what the price is or how much grief they want to put them thru, they still go yearly of more. If Disney said the will now require that they change their will and leave them have at least half to Disney, they would still do it.
Heck, people book a hotel w/ 5 day passes knowing that that they may not get a reservation for the park on some of their days.

the fact that they pay more for less is telling..
Habits are tough to break, but eventually society moves away from things just because they are bored with them. They find new more exciting and/or simple things to entertain themselves and that's when the rent comes due for places like Disney that has lived for many years on past reputations and Walt Disney's very long coattails..

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Read a "financial analysis" of $DIS yesterday. It was ... pure and utter twaddle by the author. Not even close to an accurate portrayal of the company and it's plusses and minuses right now. The gist of it - Chapek was unfairly fired because he was providing better financial results than Iger (and this clown completely ignored half a dozen problems with $lappie). The stock price peaked at $201/share!! He even increased revenues over 20% in 2022 vs 2021!!! There's a reason that the author has "formerly of... " and a whole list of companies in his bio. He couldn't correctly analyze a grade school spelling bee.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom