Disney Springs Was Mateen's Original Target! -- NBC News

Rumrunner

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...d-attack-disney-world-prosecutors-say-n860786

Who didn't think this might be the case at the time...? So, there IS value in "security theater"...
What bothers me is his dad was working with the FBI as an informant. How in the world did the FBI miss this guy? They even interviewed him.
Did he get a free pass from the FBI because of his dad? Who knows, the FBI never told us a thing-it took the trial of his wife for that to be exposed.

Unplugged

But we can remain calm about this as this is nothing new. Almost every terrorist plot looking at mass destruction has reviewed WDW & Universal as a potential targets due to the volume of people in a small area as well as the International tourism impact. Dating back to 9/11, this was an issue, whether you've heard about it or not.

So, Security is always a value. For the neigh sayers, they don't need to walk around with M-16s to provide value to the community. We appreciate the fact that the Disney Security does put themselves at risk by wearing the uniform, and I think they do a fine job of trying to walk the line between making themselves visible to dissuade potential harm, while also making themselves blend in to not make vacationers uncomfortable.

Unplugged

What bothers me is his dad was working with the FBI as an informant. How in the world did the FBI miss this guy? They even interviewed him.
Did he get a free pass from the FBI because of his dad? Who knows, the FBI never told us a thing-it took the trial of his wife for that to be exposed.
You're right as that is the bigger concern. Many of the recent mass shooters have, one way or another, been flagged / reviewed / or had someone close to them reach out for help, and yet we end up with this horrible crimes. Have to wonder what it is that allows the investigators to determine they are no threat.

Rumrunner

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...d-attack-disney-world-prosecutors-say-n860786

Who didn't think this might be the case at the time...? So, there IS value in "security theater"...
Our last visit I was appreciative of the security. They searched our strollers thoroughly every time we visited the park. Most likely they have improved and knowing Disney I am sure they have been in contact with Israeli security for information and assistance. They are the best in the world. Unfortunately there is no guarantee.

lazyboy97o

Well, he did go through with an alternate plan that led to the murder of 49 people. We can't really make assumptions, but the situation may have actually had far fewer casualities at Disney Springs as it is a much more open space and there are armed police officers everywhere.
This. What made Pulse a “better” target is that it was a confined space and it was easy to trap people inside. We saw the same thing happen in Las Vegas where the secure perimeter trapped people inside the venue. The openness of theme parks and large shopping complexes does help protect them as people can disperse.

matt9112

Indeed. As a practical matter Disney can't reveal their security measures. Privacy freaks would go nuts if Disney disclosed the depth of their data and its uses.

alot is rooted in the fact that the FBI sneaks stuff past the TSA in record numbers and Disney security isn't the TSA. I want to be safe but i also understand there's always a way.

Phil12

There's a big difference in securing one of the World's biggest tourist attractions and being skeptical and considering the ethics about general security measures. The US government spies and invades their citizens privacy all the time in the name of "security" which has been a known fact for years.
Disney does not care about your privacy, safety or civil liberties. They care about their bottom line. In that interest they will take draconian measures to keep their guest visits ever higher along with their profit margins. You can be as skeptical as you desire and it makes no difference.

Phil12

If it's a weapon then I'm sure they do care.
No, you're absolutely wrong. Disney has a no weapons policy and they hope that most guests will voluntarily comply. However, they also realize that some folks will sneak weapons into the park. Disney takes reasonable steps (such as bag checks and selected metal detector screenings) to look for weapons and other items but they know their security can be defeated. They also realize that body searches would be needed along with other techniques to prevent people from sneaking weapons into the park. That sort of scrutiny would be too expensive and impact guest visitation. They can only do so much and beyond that they don't care.

It's a theme park. They want to push in and out as many guests as possible in their allotted time. It's a matter of liability for Disney as well. They are just interested in making sure that their secuirty is resonable and prudent. It doesn't have to be effective because there are just too many ways around their security. Again, it's a theme park and it was not designed as a high security installation.

Tom Morrow

No, you're absolutely wrong. Disney has a no weapons policy and they hope that most guests will voluntarily comply. However, they also realize that some folks will sneak weapons into the park. Disney takes reasonable steps (such as bag checks and selected metal detector screenings) to look for weapons and other items but they know their security can be defeated. They also realize that body searches would be needed along with other techniques to prevent people from sneaking weapons into the park. That sort of scrutiny would be too expensive and impact guest visitation. They can only do so much and beyond that they don't care.

It's a theme park. They want to push in and out as many guests as possible in their allotted time. It's a matter of liability for Disney as well. They are just interested in making sure that their secuirty is resonable and prudent. It doesn't have to be effective because there are just too many ways around their security. Again, it's a theme park and it was not designed as a high security installation.
Oh I get it, you're trying to be all edgy and saying that Disney doesn't care about the safety of it's visitors because they're a big evil megacorporation and we're all just like, numbers, man?

rnese

Bad people who want to do bad things don't play by rules. They don't follow laws. They'll adapt to whatever rules, security measures, etc. that are in place.
It is in Disney's best interest to keep it's customers safe. They've got top men working on doing just that. If and/or when (God forbid) something does happen at The World, it won't be because of "Disney Neglect", although there will be a media outcry that there was, it will be because the bad guy(s) that wanted to do bad things adapted.
Unfortunately, that's the world we live in.

andysol

I'll never understand people who complain about "security theater" because doing something, whether or not 100% effective, is still better than doing nothing at all.

People can roll their eyes at metal detectors and bag checks- but I agree, better than nothing.

The one thing no one can roll their eyes at? Working dogs. The best and most effective deterrent would be 4-5 bomb and gunpowder dogs spread out able to sniff nearly every person.
Some might think there would be difficulty with the loads of kids; But unlike “therapy dogs”, these dogs are rarely distracted by children, eye contact, etc.

When there are elevated threat levels, dogs often work the security line at airports more and every single guest gets a nose tap by the dog.

If you had a bomb or gun, and you saw dogs tapping every person- think you’d try to sneak it in? Negative.

Last edited:

Kamikaze

People can roll their eyes at metal detectors and bag checks- but I agree, better than nothing.

The one thing no one can roll their eyes at? Working dogs. The best and most effective deterrent would be 4-5 bomb and gunpowder dogs spread out able to sniff nearly every person.
Some might think there would be difficulty with the loads of kids; But unlike “therapy dogs”, these dogs are rarely distracted by children, eye contact, etc.

When there are elevated threat levels, dogs often work the security line at airports more and every single guest gets a nose tap by the dog.

If you had a bomb or gun, and you saw dogs tapping every person- think you’d try to sneak it in? Negative.

Fair, but theres no entrance line at DS. Or the resorts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom