Disney Springs testing new no-stop security scanner for new entry screening when the parks reopen

KikoKea

Sounds much more convenient.

What bothers me is the line roulette game you have to play- choosing a line that you hope will move and not come to a halt while the one next to yours whizzes along and you haven't moved a step. Or your line gets hijacked by the next line over when the security person yells for everyone to make each table 2 lines. I invariably seem to choose the one that moves the slowest.

I would rather there be one line that feeds all tables. That way, the large family unit with 6 backpacks and a fully loaded stroller (or two) isn't blocking anyone...the line just keeps moving.

Ldno

So does that mean they will have X-ray machines at every entrance along with facial recognition being used with magic bands to let the parks know who’s where and when you are nearby? I could see this happening with more expensive magic bands that monitor your health,etc

the.dreamfinder

TrainsOfDisney

Springs should have bag checks, its a huge security problem. The Pulse shooter was seen in Disney Springs, observed in security camera footage AFTER the fact.

I don’t feel any safer in the parks than I do at Disney Springs or walking around a resort.

The only times I’ve felt I was in danger it was due to Disney’s over crowding in the MK hub for New Years and Disney’s over crowding of the space in between security and tap points for “Star Wars rise up early or don’t ride”

Disstevefan1

I don’t feel any safer in the parks than I do at Disney Springs or walking around a resort.

The only times I’ve felt I was in danger it was due to Disney’s over crowding in the MK hub for New Years and Disney’s over crowding of the space in between security and tap points for “Star Wars rise up early or don’t ride”

I hope they keep this technology at Springs and add it to the parks. The perfect example is a family went into Springs with a suitcase that had a barbeque in, thank goodness it was a barbeque and not something to do harm.

As for feeling safe or unsafe anywhere at anytime, that's different for folks for different reasons. We have to hope bag checks and this technology is there not only to make us feel good.

On one night on one of those jammed packed nights at the magic kingdom after the fireworks. I felt genuine anxiety not being able to move in the mobs. One NYE at EPCOT, it almost came to blows, the only thing stopping me is that I did not want to be banned for life from WDW. We do not go to WDW for NYE anymore.

mergatroid

I am very likely having an operation in the next 12 months which will involve two electrodes being inserted into my brain and being hooked up to a battery placed in my chest. This means I won't be able to go through a 'metal detector' as it can disrupt what the electrodes do (they give me a special card explaining this for airports etc). Anybody know whether this 'new system' will affect me or not, or would I have to avoid it?

icc2515

If the Express unit is using the same technology as their EDGE, it's a combination of millimeter wave and electromagnetic sensors plus somesort of secret sauce AI to classify the threat level from the sensor readings.
From my understanding the Edge is still Evolv's top of the line product. The product information says that Edge can detect both metallic and non metallic items of interest. The Express solution brief says that it detects metallic weapons. I think that this would be a great addition to Disney Springs as they do not have any sort of bag check now. In my opinion the Express does not replace bag check, the Edge does. There are plenty of non metallic threats out there that the Express will not catch.

Kevin_W

I am very likely having an operation in the next 12 months which will involve two electrodes being inserted into my brain and being hooked up to a battery placed in my chest. This means I won't be able to go through a 'metal detector' as it can disrupt what the electrodes do (they give me a special card explaining this for airports etc). Anybody know whether this 'new system' will affect me or not, or would I have to avoid it?

Good question. My dad is probably having that same surgery in a few months, so I've read up on it. I haven't seen anything about interface with millimeter wave scanners. My guess is that they probably won't want to risk it.

On a side note, good luck with the surgery - it sounds relatively scary to me, but I know it can give good symptom relief to many.

Kevin_W

On one night on one of those jammed packed nights at the magic kingdom after the fireworks. I felt genuine anxiety not being able to move in the mobs. One NYE at EPCOT, it almost came to blows, the only thing stopping me is that I did not want to be banned for life from WDW. We do not go to WDW for NYE anymore.

We had a similar experience at Epcot on NYE. They opened the auxiliary exits after the 6PM fireworks, but not after the midnight fireworks. We got swept/caught into the side area where Duffy used to meet. We couldn't move and we're pressed in from all sides with my daughter on my shoulders to get her off the ground. "Genuine anxiety" is a good phrase.

My wife goes into the mosh pits at rock concerts and swears she will never do NYE fireworks at WDW again.

TrainsOfDisney

I still go... but I watch from behind the castle and ride fantasyland rides from 12-1 and leave as late as possible.

mergatroid

Good question. My dad is probably having that same surgery in a few months, so I've read up on it. I haven't seen anything about interface with millimeter wave scanners. My guess is that they probably won't want to risk it.

On a side note, good luck with the surgery - it sounds relatively scary to me, but I know it can give good symptom relief to many.

Much appreciated, thanks.

Obobru

This a great improvement. I have always felt Disney parks should be like the airport, one lane for Americans and one lane for all others, if you will be a bunch of gun lovers thinking it's the wild west you should be inconvenienced while the rest of us should just breeze in. Since that wasn't implemented this will do.

icc2515

I have always felt Disney parks should be like the airport, one lane for Americans and one lane for all others,
Which airports have this. I like this idea because whenever I get held up in a line at the airport, it's always some foreigner with 10 bottles of water, 3 bottles of shampoo, 2 bottles of sunscreen, 6 cans of Coke, etc etc that are in front of me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom