Disney Springs testing new no-stop security scanner for new entry screening when the parks reopen

disneygeek90

The reality is that these units, even the higher end ones, will pay for themselves in short order with lower labor costs. They can probably cut 80% of the security force at the entrance. Like now they will catch the "forgetful" people aka "I forgot I had that gun on me." I also think that eventually they will replace the ticket system with a facial recognition system. That way we could get rid of the finger scanner and hopefully a lot of the problems at the entrance. Doesn't Unni already use facial recognition on some of their expresspass lanes? I know they have some big cameras setup in some of them.
There’s no facial recognition in Universal as far as I know.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Why isn’t 1 guest every 3 seconds not going to cut it?
Additionally, I would assume if facilitated in the parks they would have several operating.

What makes you think they would only use one of these?

Logistics and cost are going to matter too. If there's a goal to move 25k (hypo #) through in one hour before demand decreases, Disney is choosing between 7 standard of one type and 20 thermal that costs more. In scenario thermal costs near 300% standard, and the gap widens with actual cost. Logistically theyd have to figure out how to space out 20, easier at some places than others. Those 20 also require more cast members that increase costs too.

If goal is significantly less than 25k in first hour than the need for stations and costs obviously decreases quickly. And maybe the machines don't cost so much that difference in costs is peanuts.

Clamman73

If it prevents them from crushing my snacks, ditto.

Most of my interactions with the bag check security folks are quite positive. Some are busy focusing on being efficient and quick but serious about the work they were doing. Others like to make a bit of Disney magic themselves to the start of your day, so they comment on something fun I'm wearing or take an extra moment to look through my pin bag to see what I'm trading that day and wish me luck on whatever I'm trying to trade for.

And then, there's the rare person who's just being... yeah. Like the guy who wasn't looking in people's bags at first. He was groping them on the outside and then guessing/proclaiming what he felt the items inside were (aka showing off for the cute security girl standing next to him who was trying to smile but seemed equally unimpressed by him holding up the line that way), calling out "phone!" "wallet!" "keys!". When he got to my bag and started feeling the outside of it and smashing his hand down on top of things that were inside, I politely asked him to please be careful as I had some snacks I didn't want to get crushed by his squeezing (a bag of chips and a banana) and he turned to me in a fury and shouted "EVERYTHING OUT OF YOUR BAG NOW!" Somewhat taken aback, I removed the chips and banana and returned the bag to him wide open for his inspection. He shouted at me again "EVERYTHING! TAKE EVERYTHING OUT RIGHT NOW!" I was so confused by this aggressive behavior at my polite request and frankly shaken by his anger at me, that I took everything out of my bag and he proceeded to take extra time touching and squeezing and going through each and every item, including rifling through my wallet although even a simple visual inspection would have shown nothing of concern. How I felt about this treatment must have shown on my face to the security person ahead at the metal detector who asked what was wrong. In frustration, I just nodded my head behind me at the guy and said "that one". The security person gave me a sympathetic face and a nod of understanding as I made it through and away from there as quickly as possible. Immediately afterwards I was mad I hadn't gotten the guy's name to report him for harassing a guest and showing off for a girl instead of just doing his job, but I did not want to go near him again to return to ask for it.
I hear ya...The problem I always had with bag check was inconsistency b/t people doing bag checks....I’m usually Park hopping and in and out of the monorail hotels, etc...so I would go through security a lot and some are quick about it just reaching in a bit and looking, some start taking out things and whatnot...

FigmentsFangirl

If it prevents them from crushing my snacks, ditto.

Most of my interactions with the bag check security folks are quite positive. Some are busy focusing on being efficient and quick but serious about the work they were doing. Others like to make a bit of Disney magic themselves to the start of your day, so they comment on something fun I'm wearing or take an extra moment to look through my pin bag to see what I'm trading that day and wish me luck on whatever I'm trying to trade for.
I keep getting guards like that, nicer older folk seeming to just be happy to work and they make a good grand joke of it and get everyone in line involved. For an example the last time I went t oepcot my bag I had with me only held {and I can easily remember this} my phone charger, phone cables, a hat, and my wallet. The Guard held it in his hand and goes "Lady, please go shopping, get some Disney stuff, this is empty!" his partner cracked up

Mickey5150

I believe at Disneyland they take AP "mugshots". But don't fool yourself... there are a million cameras at the gates and Disney has a photo of every time you have entered the park. The Guest Services cast can pull these photos up with their iPads if there is any question of pass sharing.
At Disneyland they take a picture for every ticket. They check your picture every time you enter the park.

MickeyCB

I'm wondering how this will work for people like my husband. We always travel bagless into the parks so we can avoid that line. But, he always sets off the metal detectors as he has 2 knee replacements and a chemo port in his chest. And even then, there is variability with the security team, some wand him, some see the port and just wave him in. Not super consistent for sure.

disneygeek90

I'm wondering how this will work for people like my husband. We always travel bagless into the parks so we can avoid that line. But, he always sets off the metal detectors as he has 2 knee replacements and a chemo port in his chest. And even then, there is variability with the security team, some wand him, some see the port and just wave him in. Not super consistent for sure.
It seems like this AI would eliminate many false positives (belts, surgical related items etc). Should be a lot more accurate than the current process that only checks for a certain amount of metal, not what the metal object actually is.

FigmentForever96

I keep getting guards like that, nicer older folk seeming to just be happy to work and they make a good grand joke of it and get everyone in line involved. For an example the last time I went t oepcot my bag I had with me only held {and I can easily remember this} my phone charger, phone cables, a hat, and my wallet. The Guard held it in his hand and goes "Lady, please go shopping, get some Disney stuff, this is empty!" his partner cracked up
I get the same joke as I usually get my bag fairly empty so that I can save plastic when I buy stuff lol. Usually has sanitizer, face wipes, charger and rubbing alcohol starting off.

rowrbazzle

I believe at Disneyland they take AP "mugshots". But don't fool yourself... there are a million cameras at the gates and Disney has a photo of every time you have entered the park. The Guest Services cast can pull these photos up with their iPads if there is any question of pass sharing.

They did this on our last trip when my son couldn't get his finger scan to work. They pulled us aside, grabbed an iPad, and thumbed through pictures from our entries the past few days to be sure it was the same person.

Magic Feather

I wonder what the lead time is on 200 of theses?

In a related question not to Peter I would love to test this with strollers and ECVs. Those will probably be a human the old way meaning no real check.
Not even close to 200. Not even 100.

If this technology ends up getting used on a larger scale, I won’t be able to help but laugh a little. Disney has spent the last ~3 years revamping their security infrastructure to match their current system. This new infrastructure is way overbuilt for a more simplified and efficient process like this.

Giss Neric

Very good strategy for Disney opening way later than most theme parks. I hope they will be so prepared by monitoring how others are doing that their reopening will be smooth and problem free. This is one aspect that can contribute to that.

cmwade77

Does this mean security checks are going to become a fixture at Springs in the future and that they intend to create a permanent secure zone there? I was under the impression the current ‘checks’ were just temp screening.
We live in California and were shocked when Disney Springs doesn't have security checks considering Downton Disney here had implemented them quite a while before that trip, so I would imagine they will become a permanent fixture.

cmwade77

Very good strategy for Disney opening way later than most theme parks. I hope they will be so prepared by monitoring how others are doing that their reopening will be smooth and problem free. This is one aspect that can contribute to that.
Actually Six Flags parks has already said they were going to be using this at all of their parks, which is probably what gave Disney the idea to look at it.

robhedin

We live in California and were shocked when Disney Springs doesn't have security checks considering Downton Disney here had implemented them quite a while before that trip, so I would imagine they will become a permanent fixture.
WDW and DLR are two different beasts though. DLR is basically one (relatively) small complex so they just put in bag check at the parking deck, by the bus drop off, and going to the hotels. It's the most economical way to do it. Bag check really isn't necessary just for a "mall", but Downtown Disney gets it by default just because of its location.

robhedin

Actually Six Flags parks has already said they were going to be using this at all of their parks, which is probably what gave Disney the idea to look at it.
I suspect it's actually been in the works for far longer; chances are the vendor has been on a major sales push for a while. I know Mercedes Benz Stadium here in Atlanta tested 3 different systems last season (maybe in September or October?) -- it worked really well then, btw; Getting people into major venues is difficult and expensive so anything they can do to make that easier/faster/cheaper is a win.

I suspect the temperature monitoring add on is probably a fairly recent addition.

Ldno

Went to a disney outlet store and got yelled at for my kids not wearing masks and at least they offered me masks to get in, but at one point my girlfriend lowered her mask for a second and someone quickly jumped at her to slide it back up... damn imagine the parks and with florida humidity, zero chills given. Granted scored some sweet disney park merch from the outlets!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom