Disney Springs testing new no-stop security scanner for new entry screening when the parks reopen

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Are these we saw people walking through in Tokyo, or were those only thermal?

One of these at 800-1300/hour with temp isn't going to cut it. At high end of 1300/hour you're looking at 1 guest every 3 seconds. At 3600/hour it's 1 guest per second.

I guess it could depend on how long temperatures are expected to be taken. Yes it's "indefinite" but does Disney bet bet indefinite and buy many more with temp scanning and maybe see temp recommendations loosened? Or does Disney bet on temp requirements loosening and do manual temperature checks for time being?

nickys

Premium Member
Just a quibble.

The 3,600 people/hour is for the scanner (for weapons). The add-on temperature module slows it down to 800-1,300 people/hour.

View attachment 476312

And, they have an option to add facial recognition. That would be great for CMs since the system would recognize them. It could even be used in place of a tapstile if people agree to be photo I.D.'d. No need to show IDs. It could also be used to spot people who are trespassed.

Imagine just walking into a park past one of these and it knows who you are, that you have the right ticket, and you're scanned. No stopping for anything.
When do you have to show ID at a tapstile?
How would that help with tickets? Even if it could identify you, I think I’m missing something. I have a ticket assigned to Nickys, are you suggesting a) I have to register somewhere with photo-Id so the system recognises me and b) they have to link this to MDE to show that I have a valId ticket?

disneygeek90

Are these we saw people walking through in Tokyo, or were those only thermal?

One of these at 800-1300/hour with temp isn't going to cut it. At high end of 1300/hour you're looking at 1 guest every 3 seconds. At 3600/hour it's 1 guest per second.

I guess it could depend on how long temperatures are expected to be taken. Yes it's "indefinite" but does Disney bet bet indefinite and buy many more with temp scanning and maybe see temp recommendations loosened? Or does Disney bet on temp requirements loosening and do manual temperature checks for time being?
Why isn’t 1 guest every 3 seconds not going to cut it? I’ve sat in a bag check line as one sorts through a backpack with 20 different pockets and zippers for far longer. A family of 4 with one backpack would take 12 seconds instead of the 3 walking through the “no bag” line in 1 second only for the remaining person to be stuck in a bag line for 7 minutes.

Additionally, I would assume if facilitated in the parks they would have several operating.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
When do you have to show ID at a tapstile?

My poor wording. CMs wouldn't have to show ID entering backstage. Guests wouldn't have to tap a ticket or magic band or touch for a finger scan. And yes, you would have to have a photo assigned to your ticket. I believe APers have that happen the first time they use their AP, and if not, can be added.

disneygeek90

My poor wording. CMs wouldn't have to show ID entering backstage. Guests wouldn't have to tap a ticket or magic band or touch for a finger scan. And yes, you would have to have a photo assigned to your ticket. I believe APers have that happen the first time they use their AP, and if not, can be added.
AP’s only get their picture taken if there’s problems with the finger scanner, so if there’s problems again with their finger their photo is already on record. I’ve never had my picture taken so if they did choose to go the picture route they’d have to fill the gaps in.

FigmentsFangirl

I only remember this happening when you get your keycard at the cruise line, without your photo you cant get in the ship. I dont remmeber getting a picture taken for any of my APs

epcotWSC

Really hope this works. The current arrival experience at the theme parks isn't the best and isn't consistent. Some cast members barely check our bag while others take everything out and we have to repack.
It becomes a game where you try to figure out which line is moving faster or has a person doing the least amount of checking. Not because you're hiding anything, but because you don't feel like spending tons of time waiting for checks or having them pulling everything out of your bags.

icc2515

My understanding is that the express model is a fast very fancy metal detector. The Edge model is a millimetre wave scanner as well and can check for more items than the express model. I cannot see the express model replacing bag check at the parks. Adding it to DS is better than what they have now, which is nothing.

How are they going to detect selfie sticks, glass bottles, and CBD products?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
My understanding is that the express model is a fast very fancy metal detector. The Edge model is a millimetre wave scanner as well and can check for more items than the express model. I cannot see the express model replacing bag check at the parks. Adding it to DS is better than what they have now, which is nothing.

How are they going to detect selfie sticks, glass bottles, and CBD products?
For the time being they may not have to worry about CBD etc

MarvelCharacterNerd

If this prevents security from touching my extra camera lens in the bag...make it so.
If it prevents them from crushing my snacks, ditto.

Most of my interactions with the bag check security folks are quite positive. Some are busy focusing on being efficient and quick but serious about the work they were doing. Others like to make a bit of Disney magic themselves to the start of your day, so they comment on something fun I'm wearing or take an extra moment to look through my pin bag to see what I'm trading that day and wish me luck on whatever I'm trying to trade for.

And then, there's the rare person who's just being... yeah. Like the guy who wasn't looking in people's bags at first. He was groping them on the outside and then guessing/proclaiming what he felt the items inside were (aka showing off for the cute security girl standing next to him who was trying to smile but seemed equally unimpressed by him holding up the line that way), calling out "phone!" "wallet!" "keys!". When he got to my bag and started feeling the outside of it and smashing his hand down on top of things that were inside, I politely asked him to please be careful as I had some snacks I didn't want to get crushed by his squeezing (a bag of chips and a banana) and he turned to me in a fury and shouted "EVERYTHING OUT OF YOUR BAG NOW!" Somewhat taken aback, I removed the chips and banana and returned the bag to him wide open for his inspection. He shouted at me again "EVERYTHING! TAKE EVERYTHING OUT RIGHT NOW!" I was so confused by this aggressive behavior at my polite request and frankly shaken by his anger at me, that I took everything out of my bag and he proceeded to take extra time touching and squeezing and going through each and every item, including rifling through my wallet although even a simple visual inspection would have shown nothing of concern. How I felt about this treatment must have shown on my face to the security person ahead at the metal detector who asked what was wrong. In frustration, I just nodded my head behind me at the guy and said "that one". The security person gave me a sympathetic face and a nod of understanding as I made it through and away from there as quickly as possible. Immediately afterwards I was mad I hadn't gotten the guy's name to report him for harassing a guest and showing off for a girl instead of just doing his job, but I did not want to go near him again to return to ask for it.

Rider

I only remember this happening when you get your keycard at the cruise line, without your photo you cant get in the ship. I dont remmeber getting a picture taken for any of my APs
I believe at Disneyland they take AP "mugshots". But don't fool yourself... there are a million cameras at the gates and Disney has a photo of every time you have entered the park. The Guest Services cast can pull these photos up with their iPads if there is any question of pass sharing.

icc2515

The reality is that these units, even the higher end ones, will pay for themselves in short order with lower labor costs. They can probably cut 80% of the security force at the entrance. Like now they will catch the "forgetful" people aka "I forgot I had that gun on me." I also think that eventually they will replace the ticket system with a facial recognition system. That way we could get rid of the finger scanner and hopefully a lot of the problems at the entrance. Doesn't Unni already use facial recognition on some of their expresspass lanes? I know they have some big cameras setup in some of them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom