'Disney Springs' - Downtown Disney expansion officially announced

SirLink

I don't get how it takes 3 years though - weren't people saying 16-19 months, so we have effectively doubled the time frame. Again eh?

saxamoophone

Good stuff! Obviously we would all like more details, but I think we'll have to wait for dirt to move to get a lot of them.

Still would like to see more nighttime fun added ;)

asianway

I don't get how it takes 3 years though - weren't people saying 16-19 months, so we have effectively doubled the time frame. Again eh?
Which is why I asked about the Golden Gate in the other thread. How long does it take to build a bridge...

OFTeric

Let us not forget that the worst recession since the great depression was going on for more than half of that 8 years. Had that not happened PI would have been filled inside of a year.

I won't ignore that fact, at all. But had Universal Orlando not seen truly massive increases in Guest Spending during that same period I would not raise this as a frustration at all.

mgf

Garcia: "Staggs said "vast majority" of new retail at Downtown Disney will be third party businesses"

Which was expected.

mgf

Garcia: "Also said third-party tenants will ultimately pay more than half of total capital investment in the project"

Which leads me to wonder if this project will ever really get off the ground.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
2 reasons. As we discussed before, Disney can spread the budget out over a few years to make Wall St happy. Second, building in a location while trying to keep everything open is a real pain and can suck up time like you would not believe.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Aww. And I was enjoying them. I love a good gif.
There is such a thing as too much of a good thing. It's funny until they are overdone and I think we are fast approaching the over saturation point.

mgf

2 reasons. As we discussed before, Disney can spread the budget out over a few years to make Wall St happy. Second, building in a location while trying to keep everything open is a real pain and can suck up time like you would not believe.

Second reason makes sense, but see my previous post. Disney doesn't want to foot the bill for this one either.

captainkidd

They can do whatever they want to Pleasure Island and the West Side, but they need to leave the Marketplace alone. There is nothing wrong with that section.

saxamoophone

We're probably still 6 months until dirt moves (unless engineering documents are already made), and then they will probably build in phases to avoid shutting down the whole area. I imagine the parking garages will be the first phase. Things like the expanded bus loop will be last.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I won't ignore that fact, at all. But had Universal Orlando not seen truly massive increases in Guest Spending during that same period I would not raise this as a frustration at all.
They also built the most eagerly anticipated them park property in history and were coming off some of the worst years in their existence.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom