News Disney Springs Begins Phased Reopening on May 20

Chi84

Premium Member
Lol sue for what??
Good question. Lawyers can't just "say" things like Disney should be magically able to protect people. Lawyers are prohibited from filing frivolous lawsuits on behalf of their clients - that is, lawsuits must have a basis in the law and must be supported by sufficient facts. If a lawsuit does not meet those requirements, it will be dismissed and the lawyer will face court sanctions. Sure, there are unscrupulous lawyers, just as there are unscrupulous people in every business or profession. But most are adhering to the proper legal requirements and ethical codes. It would be nice if people who know absolutely nothing about the law and lawsuits would stop posting nonsense, but I guess it's their right to post whatever comes into their heads.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Lol sue for what??
Lol when has that ever been a requirement for the US, the "sue happiest" place on the planet. Some one will find a skeezy lawyer to say that they thought the magic in Magic kingdom meant it magically prevented people from contracting covid and Disney did not make it clear.

Yes, you can sue for almost anything.

But lots of these frivolous suits get dismissed or a summary judgement.

And there won't be any such suits, otherwise, we'd have them already with people suing grocery stores for getting COVID.

It won't be a thing, because it hasn't been a thing, and would be dismissed if attempted.

Giss Neric

Yes, you can sue for almost anything.

But lots of these frivolous suits get dismissed or a summary judgement.

And there won't be any such suits, otherwise, we'd have them already with people suing grocery stores for getting COVID.

It won't be a thing, because it hasn't been a thing, and would be dismissed if attempted.
I hate that we can sue for everything which results in the most ridiculous things to sue about. I don't understand what goes to someone's mind to sue McDonalds for not having chicken nuggets available.

Chi84

Premium Member
I hate that we can sue for everything which results in the most ridiculous things to sue about. I don't understand what goes to someone's mind to sue McDonalds for not having chicken nuggets available.
Those suits don’t go anywhere. They’re dismissed as frivolous. The news media reports on any goofy thing that’s filed because it’s entertaining, but they never revisit the matter and report that the suit is dismissed without the plaintiff getting anything. Not all lawsuits are filed by lawyers. People can file on their own.

Giss Neric

Those suits don’t go anywhere. They’re dismissed as frivolous. The news media reports on any goofy thing that’s filed because it’s entertaining, but they never revisit the matter and report that the suit is dismissed without the plaintiff getting anything. Not all lawsuits are filed by lawyers. People can file on their own.
Point taken but i'm more geared towards why people think it's okay to sue for this particular scenario or event? Do they not care that they would most likely be a laughing stock or probably they just want attention. Crazy people and the waste of effort that they go through.

Alice a

Right now legislation is being drafted to deny unemployment to workers who are forced either to quit or to go back to work before extensive testing/tracking is in place. If I get seriously ill from covid-19 and suffer life-long effects because I was caught between a rock and a hard place, yeah, I would want to sue.

The threat of lawsuit is sometimes the only thing keeping workers safe, in some right-to-work jobs\states.

I work at a college that brings in a lot of out-of-state students in who want to go to school 'at the beach' and I'm scared of what's going to happen when they all come back to town in August, with no idea what their level of exposure is, etc. We had a measles outbreak run rampant last fall.

Lilofan

And when a company says on record " they will fight these charges in court " then it's a good sign to fight the suit. But lawyers nowadays look to get that S word -Settlement. On almost every TV commercial in Central Florida are lawyers advertising their services and actual clients saying how much 💰💰 they won.

Chi84

Premium Member
Up to 97% of the civil cases in this country are disposed of prior to trial - either by court disposition or settlement. The vast majority of criminal cases that are not dismissed - in my state around 98% - are disposed of by way of guilty pleas. Very, very few cases in this country ever get to trial, and most of those are not jury trials. That's why it sounds so silly when people post comments like it's not necessary to prove negligence in this country - all you have to do is convince a jury to find against "greedy Disney" or that lawyers can just "say" something that has no legal basis. One person posted that he could testify to something someone else told him and it would hold up in court. There is no way I would ever condone the behavior of unscrupulous lawyers who file nuisance suits - they do exist - but people have some odd and completely wrong notions about the law and have no problem with thoughtlessly posting them.

rowrbazzle

Right now legislation is being drafted to deny unemployment to workers who are forced either to quit or to go back to work before extensive testing/tracking is in place. If I get seriously ill from covid-19 and suffer life-long effects because I was caught between a rock and a hard place, yeah, I would want to sue.

The threat of lawsuit is sometimes the only thing keeping workers safe, in some right-to-work jobs\states.

I work at a college that brings in a lot of out-of-state students in who want to go to school 'at the beach' and I'm scared of what's going to happen when they all come back to town in August, with no idea what their level of exposure is, etc. We had a measles outbreak run rampant last fall.

I think filing a complaint or lawsuit against your employer is different than a customer suing a store.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Supposedly Universal has been facing similar pressure on Citywalk from the few third parties that they still have, but Uni is a very different beast considering how easy it is for locals to get to Citywalk vs Springs.
Have Universal given an official start of reopening date yet?

Piebald

I'd be shocked if Planet Hollywood doesnt reopen. They'll have a harder time controlling the queues for Chicken Guy and Earl since with their price points the lines on a regular day can get insanely long.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom