Disney slowly losing some of what made it special.

flynnibus

Premium Member
In any competitive market, it'll always close in on the market leader. And that's ok. After 40 years of going to the same location with various levels of change, you're going to have to rely on nostalgia and memories rather than brand new experiences. There is only so much to expect.

Or.. you can be entertained or pampered to and enjoy that. But when Disney runs the SAME DAMN SHOW for 20 years... it's called coasting. Or when the other Disney locations update and revamp their Fantasmic and DHS sits back year after year... it's called declining. It's nothing to do with how frequently someone goes or not...

I can only imagine the levels up enjoyment you or anyone gets out of 40 years of going. Going as a kid. Going as an adult. Going as a parent. Going as a grandparent. The actually experience may not change often, but the experiences with others can.

There are people who go to the same lake house or beach community for 40 years. The beach and the restaurants very rarely change year to year. I liken it to that in my own mind.

I too have gone to the same beach resort for every year of my life.. and we are owners there now too. I'm familar with change or not...

You can't sweep the kinds of changes Disney has been going through as 'emotional' or clinger problems. They are explicit actions, lack of action, or specific changes in approach.

Phil12

Or.. you can be entertained or pampered to and enjoy that. But when Disney runs the SAME DAMN SHOW for 20 years... it's called coasting. Or when the other Disney locations update and revamp their Fantasmic and DHS sits back year after year... it's called declining. It's nothing to do with how frequently someone goes or not...

I too have gone to the same beach resort for every year of my life.. and we are owners there now too. I'm familar with change or not...

You can't sweep the kinds of changes Disney has been going through as 'emotional' or clinger problems. They are explicit actions, lack of action, or specific changes in approach.
The visitation to WDW is higher than ever. They're not interested in your opinion.

JD80

Tha

I mean you can be frustrated that it hasn't changed a lot in 20 years or the updates don't come fast enough. That's fine. Disney is not built that way though right now. Everything is up up up right now for them. Then don't need new experiences right.

That being said after a decade or so of stagnant changes, you are getting some big ones right now that are in the works.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Tha

I mean you can be frustrated that it hasn't changed a lot in 20 years or the updates don't come fast enough. That's fine. Disney is not built that way though right now. Everything is up up up right now for them. Then don't need new experiences right.

That being said after a decade or so of stagnant changes, you are getting some big ones right now that are in the works.

So you are saying... Yes Disney of today is not built as it used to be... and they don't need to change because there are enough suckers in the world to keep the machine fed.

And you wonder why people don't just fall in line with your justifications?

Lack of updates is just one thing... we could go on in detail if you actually cared about the subject.

Raineman

to the original poster, undoubtedly true and regrettable. But this is thread # 456,000 on the topic.
It definitely has been beaten to death on here, and no matter what your personal view is on the OP's statement, no amount of convincing is going to change your mind. The doom-and-gloomers and pixie dusters will battle it out, and fence sitters (such as myself) just grab the popcorn and watch.

21stamps

But there are tourist attractions that sell out.

When we went to Berlin, if you wanted to visit the dome on top of their parliament building (Reichestag) then you need to book in advance, but no more than a month before and some time slots at peak season were taken very very quickly. If you turned up in Berlin hoping to visit then its a several hour line for the small amount of day tickets.

In fact in terms of planning to sight see all the major attractions, Disneyworld is quite comparable to a capital city or major city such as New York, Berlin, San Francisco, London.

I'm sure tickets to Liberty Island in New York also sell out quick and if you decide to try and do it once in New York it could be impossible.

I book a sea plane to Dry Tortugas in Key West well in advance before I go.

That’s just one example. Like you said, there’s many destinations that require planning and advance tickets.

willsdad01

Very new to this forum, but not to Disney. First visited as a youngster myself and then took my family beginning in 2007 and have been 7 times since, most recently last Fall. I think the original post has merit regardless of how often it's been brought up. For my family, 2007 was one of the best visits. Low crowd level in October, first time with the family creates a feeling which can't be replicated, no viewable construction (no scrims), no app to deal with, night time parade in Magic Kingdom, all rides working, and awesome weather. Over the period of 10 years, a lot has changed with the parks for the positive and negative. I'm a planner, but wow...much like anything anymore unless you are an early bird who sits on the internet, finding Fast Passes and restaurant reservations can be difficult. Not impossible, but challenging. Viewing the night time fireworks has become quite the challenge. Now that the castle has become a projector screen, everyone is jockeying for the ultimate viewing, hours in advance. Disney takes away some prime viewing real estate for those who either have more money or spend more money. Last fall several colleagues of mine visited WDW and noticed many rides breaking down or closed for periods of time. I too noticed upon our visit. It was much more frequent than in the past. I can't comment on special experiences the original post mentioned as my family didn't take advantage of those opportunities. Overall, many of the improvements are helpful and progress needs to happen, but I will admit, as much of a fan as I am, the overall cost is getting too high for the things we like as a family. I could care less about fancy wrist bands, ride photos, and the app. All are conveniences, but don't add to the experience and quite honestly, can take away from the experience. As with much in our society today, park guests can also ruin some of the magic as I've experienced a much higher level of impatience and rudeness in the last 7 years. Just look at this forum and many of the rude comments. Disney can't help that. Overall, to me, the magic is about the overall experience...just like our first family visit. From the time we stepped on to Disney's Magical Express, we were swept into a different world, not just an amusement park with gift stores and fancy technology. The music, the smells, the visual beauty (everything looking pristine) and the little things all contributing to feeling as if my family and I were whisked away to a different land. No knock on Universal or Sea World, but at those parks you feel as if you are at an amusement park. My hope is they continue to view this wonderful place through Walt's eyes...a place for ALL families to come and to enjoy, not as a set of financial statements.

eliza61nyc

Very new to this forum, but not to Disney. First visited as a youngster myself and then took my family beginning in 2007 and have been 7 times since, most recently last Fall. I think the original post has merit regardless of how often it's been brought up. For my family, 2007 was one of the best visits. Low crowd level in October, first time with the family creates a feeling which can't be replicated, no viewable construction (no scrims), no app to deal with, night time parade in Magic Kingdom, all rides working, and awesome weather. Over the period of 10 years, a lot has changed with the parks for the positive and negative. I'm a planner, but wow...much like anything anymore unless you are an early bird who sits on the internet, finding Fast Passes and restaurant reservations can be difficult. Not impossible, but challenging. Viewing the night time fireworks has become quite the challenge. Now that the castle has become a projector screen, everyone is jockeying for the ultimate viewing, hours in advance. Disney takes away some prime viewing real estate for those who either have more money or spend more money. Last fall several colleagues of mine visited WDW and noticed many rides breaking down or closed for periods of time. I too noticed upon our visit. It was much more frequent than in the past. I can't comment on special experiences the original post mentioned as my family didn't take advantage of those opportunities. Overall, many of the improvements are helpful and progress needs to happen, but I will admit, as much of a fan as I am, the overall cost is getting too high for the things we like as a family. I could care less about fancy wrist bands, ride photos, and the app. All are conveniences, but don't add to the experience and quite honestly, can take away from the experience. As with much in our society today, park guests can also ruin some of the magic as I've experienced a much higher level of impatience and rudeness in the last 7 years. Just look at this forum and many of the rude comments. Disney can't help that. Overall, to me, the magic is about the overall experience...just like our first family visit. From the time we stepped on to Disney's Magical Express, we were swept into a different world, not just an amusement park with gift stores and fancy technology. The music, the smells, the visual beauty (everything looking pristine) and the little things all contributing to feeling as if my family and I were whisked away to a different land. No knock on Universal or Sea World, but at those parks you feel as if you are at an amusement park. My hope is they continue to view this wonderful place through Walt's eyes...a place for ALL families to come and to enjoy, not as a set of financial statements.

I was totally with you until the last. Disney has always been expensive. Poor folk have never been able to visit wdw without some sacrifice. It took my parents a whole bunch of saving to finally get 1 trip for us to the world. ALL families were never able to go. the only way to do that is to make disneyworld free. Most things in life come with "financial" statements. If you have the dough you get to live in better, less crime ridden areas. I would seriously love an Audi q7 suv but the reality is, it's based on my income and right now that income is saying "not in your budget sweetie". I got ridiculous priced tickets to Hamilton the play on Broadway. lol, I will NOT be doing any other entertainment for the rest of September because this play is ridiculous. I use to be able to go to the theater extremely inexpensively.
You (not you personally) can either afford a certain thing or you cannot. no company has any obligation to make things affordable to all people.

Last edited:

willsdad01

I was totally with you until the last. Disney has always been expensive. Poor folk have never been able to visit wdw without some sacrifice. It took my parents a whole bunch of saving to finally get 1 trip for us to the world. ALL families were never able to go. the only way to do that is to make disneyworld free. Most things in life come with "financial" statements. If you have the dough you get to live in better, less crime ridden areas. I would seriously love an Audi q7 suv but the reality is, it's based on my income and right now that income is saying "not in your budget sweetie". I got ridiculous priced tickets to Hamilton the play on Broadway. lol, I will NOT be doing any other entertainment for the rest of September because this play is ridiculous. I use to be able to go to the theater extremely inexpensively.
You (not you personally) can either afford a certain thing or you cannot. no company has any obligation to make things affordable to all people.

I don't disagree with your comments. Disney has always been expensive. Affordability and value are perspectives. It does seem the price is getting out of control.

eliza61nyc

I don't disagree with your comments. Disney has always been expensive. Affordability and value are perspectives. It does seem the price is getting out of control.
Lol me too, but I think we tend to advance this narrative that back in the day any one who wanted to go to Disney could afford to do so and that wasn't really the case.
Now for me I don't compare any thing to what its price was 30 years ago. I'd be clinically depressed if I did, I generally compare it to other vacation venues out there now. I just returned from a 7 day trip, I spent roughly what I spend going to the Jersey shore for a week. Lol talk about prices out of control. I use to be able to rent a 1 bedroom condo at the beach for 800 bucks in 2006 Exact same spot this year is now 3500.00 insane.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Lol me too, but I think we tend to advance this narrative that back in the day any one who wanted to go to Disney could afford to do so and that wasn't really the case.
Now for me I don't compare any thing to what its price was 30 years ago. I'd be clinically depressed if I did, I generally compare it to other vacation venues out there now. I just returned from a 7 day trip, I spent roughly what I spend going to the Jersey shore for a week. Lol talk about prices out of control. I use to be able to rent a 1 bedroom condo at the beach for 800 bucks in 2006 Exact same spot this year is now 3500.00 insane.
It's only insane if someone's paying it.

MAGICFLOP

I compare to back in the day as far as experience.. from 1978 to 1998 the experience was better.. back then, hop in line and you were in the attraction in 30 to 45 min, now its no longer the case. Now with fast pass, magic bands and the other non sense, you are forced to play the game. The original FP require you to scurry around collecting tickets and scurry back later.. now with bands you hassle to do it on the computer and get there and 1 person can't get in... to me they turned the park into a rat race.. Attraction to crowd ratio was better I am guessing.
VALUE. in the 80's making $5/hr ( min wage ish) 5 hours work could get me admission, now how many hours do a min wage person work to buy a ticket? Now add food / parking.. Back then airfare was the hurdle ..

Now, I can buy a ticket in less than 2 hrs work, but still don't feel the value I got back then... WDW is not min wage friendly anymore

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I am not fond of FP+. I am not fond of the price increases or the crowds. I think for older, long term Park attrendees, these are rather common gripes.

But, I don’t see them changing anytime soon, if ever. Not unless there is another major economic downturn for the Parks, like what happened in the mid 2000s. And, that brings with it other gripes due to cutbacks in staffing and maintenance.

That said, I just got back from a trip that I booked well within the windows (I didn’t even get tickets until the week prior), only two ADRs (one of which, Sci Fi, we probably didn’t need), and very limited FPs.

We had no trouble getting into Table Service we wanted.

We were still able to hit all the headliners we wanted, with the exception of Test Track and Peter Pan, and both of those were choices to skip. And, I did check during our stay (it isn’t difficult at all, plenty of time on the bus or in the line for another attraction) and was able to snag a Frozen FP.

It isn’t nearly as infeasable as some make it out to be...is my point.

Phil12

I am not fond of FP+. I am not fond of the price increases or the crowds. I think for older, long term Park attrendees, these are rather common gripes.

But, I don’t see them changing anytime soon, if ever. Not unless there is another major economic downturn for the Parks, like what happened in the mid 2000s. And, that brings with it other gripes due to cutbacks in staffing and maintenance.

That said, I just got back from a trip that I booked well within the windows (I didn’t even get tickets until the week prior), only two ADRs (one of which, Sci Fi, we probably didn’t need), and very limited FPs.

We had no trouble getting into Table Service we wanted.

We were still able to hit all the headliners we wanted, with the exception of Test Track and Peter Pan, and both of those were choices to skip. And, I did check during our stay (it isn’t difficult at all, plenty of time on the bus or in the line for another attraction) and was able to snag a Frozen FP.

It isn’t nearly as infeasable as some make it out to be...is my point.
I agree. We've been visiting WDW since it first started and Disneyland since it's inception as well. I have always insisted upon discounts for both admission media and for room rates. For many years we used the old Magic Kingdom Club for discounts and when they eliminated that in 2000 we had to scramble for discounts on the newfangled Internet.

I'm just the type of person that refuses to buy a new car, tool, gallon of paint, computer, cell phone or other such things without seeking and getting substantial discounts. I never pay MSRP for anything. I'm cheap.

And I've never made an ADR in my life. I figure if the place is that busy, they don't need my business. Yet, we've always been able to eat at any and all of the Disney restaurants (including Sci Fi) at our leisure. And yes, I have tipped the maitre d to secure a table. And I have also thrown a handful of quarters on the ground to distract other guests as I've moved ahead in line. Little tricks such as these make life more enjoyable for everyone.

The discounts are still there and lower crowd times still exist. If either were gone I would no longer visit.

restaurants-ma_tre_d-ma_tre_d_h_tels-going_out_for_dinner-tips-gratuity-mban3866_low.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom