Disney slowly losing some of what made it special.

TwilightZone

People thinking WALLS Are a THING to do at Disney.....:banghead:
Walt-Disney-World-Walls-Feature-final.jpg
You should not underestimate the purple wall, it is our future leader.

Wilderness Nut

My experience in the parks has been that it's not Disney that's losing its magic. People are losing their own magic for whatever reason. There has not been a time that I've been in the parks that I haven't experienced rude, inconsiderate, negative, or entitled behavior. That's what I see getting worse. Sure the ride times are increasing, it's harder to get ADRs and FP times, tickets and rooms cost more. But I see that corporate behavior everywhere so that doesn't bother me. It's the rudeness from the people around me in the parks that sometimes brings me down.
I have to agree 100% with you on your unfortunate experiences of rude, inconsiderate, negative, and entitled behavior. I love the remarks I hear over and over again, "it's my vacation and I spent a lot of money to be here", everyone has, and that is a poor excuse to act like that.

DisneyFreak

I have to agree 100% with you on your unfortunate experiences of rude, inconsiderate, negative, and entitled behavior. I love the remarks I hear over and over again, "it's my vacation and I spent a lot of money to be here", everyone has, and there is NO excuse to act like that.

Fixed.

Cmdr_Crimson

compared to how the place was between 2009-2014, I'm perfectly fine with how the place is today!

I'd go just about 2004 - 2009 for me.....The times I went were never too busy there were things during the Eisner/Iger Switch that were just starting and it just felt good to be out there....Now everything feels too much like the name of the one store at Disney Springs which fits the real Concept of how they are representing themselves..
ls.jpg

NickMaio

Ok, so about 6 or 7 years ago I posted has Disney lost the magic. At that time I was disgusted by cast members, attitudes just taking with them. Not the prices or anything like that, but I wasn’t feeling the atmosphere. We just returned from another trip, the 2nd or 3rd since my OG post. I felt like a huge difference. It was awesome. The friendliness of the cast members, cleanliness, just a lot of fun and good times. I definitely felt like the magic was restored
Agree 100 percent.....It seems that perhaps some of my complaints to customer service were herd.
We had a great time.... All staff was amazing. 😃🎢

Tony the Tigger

on slower park day's.
details that made the park's stand out.

Let’s talk about plurals...

Ok, so about 6 or 7 years ago I posted has Disney lost the magic. At that time I was disgusted by cast members, attitudes just taking with them. Not the prices or anything like that, but I wasn’t feeling the atmosphere. We just returned from another trip, the 2nd or 3rd since my OG post. I felt like a huge difference. It was awesome. The friendliness of the cast members, cleanliness, just a lot of fun and good times. I definitely felt like the magic was restored

Can we also just say that sometimes you’ll encounter great cast members, and occasionally you won’t? And the times you don’t do not necessarily signal the end of an era, the failure of a CEO, or a lack of magic?

MAGICFLOP

The Bottom line is, this subject will continue to come up as long as people feel this way about Disney.. Also this could be a weather forecast of whats ahead if Disney keeps this course..

If there were a reoccurring theme in here about people being upset with FP, then Disney could address this and head off future problems to increase satisfaction. Its too late when people stop coming coming cause standy lines a 1.5hrs and FP glitches cause some in your party to be denied entrance..

If no complaints, then all is well and no improvements necessary and we need to charge more for the happiness we bring...

Kontra

Disney World is the Walmart location of their 6 sites. It's their money maker. There is a lot less IP takeover, crap souvenir stores and alcoholic themed beverages elsewhere. WDW listens to survey results to decide what to build next, not the creatives or Imagineers. Short term gains will drive WDW for the foreseeable future. Backstage busses and private canopies are two of the most extreme examples of the machine at work. I recommend Tokyo Disney Sea, Shanghai Disney or Hong Kong Disney for a better Disney Park experience (Wait for DLP to refurbish). WDW is a mall I hang out at a few times a year.

eliza61nyc

Disney World is the Walmart location of their 6 sites. It's their money maker. There is a lot less IP takeover, crap souvenir stores and alcoholic themed beverages elsewhere. WDW listens to survey results to decide what to build next, not the creatives or Imagineers. Short term gains will drive WDW for the foreseeable future. Backstage busses and private canopies are two of the most extreme examples of the machine at work. I recommend Tokyo Disney Sea, Shanghai Disney or Hong Kong Disney for a better Disney Park experience (Wait for DLP to refurbish). WDW is a mall I hang out at a few times a year.

lol except that if I'm spending all that dough to go to Hong Kong, I'm not spending it at a theme park. The reality is that if most folks find the expense of Disneyworld Orlando outrageous I'm thinking Shanghahi is not a realistic goal. not saying I know folks budget just going from the cries of how expensive disneyworld is

erasure fan1

The Bottom line is, this subject will continue to come up as long as people feel this way about Disney.. Also this could be a weather forecast of whats ahead if Disney keeps this course..
Yup, and as long as the prices reflect ultra premium and ultra premium isn't what you are getting, people will be upset. I haven't set foot in the parks since 2015 and before that it was 19 of the last 21 years. We have tentative plans for 2019 but who knows. Why? The value to price ratio just hasn't been there. Not enough new, too much of a nickel and dime mentality and sky rocketing prices.

Tony the Tigger

Yup, and as long as the prices reflect ultra premium and ultra premium isn't what you are getting, people will be upset. I haven't set foot in the parks since 2015 and before that it was 19 of the last 21 years. We have tentative plans for 2019 but who knows. Why? The value to price ratio just hasn't been there. Not enough new, too much of a nickel and dime mentality and sky rocketing prices.

That is everyone’s personal decision to make - what is their breaking point?

My prediction is once the Weekday Select pass goes away (if it does) we will no longer be AP holders. We’ll wait for those 3 day deals, or go up for a Christmas party, or just stay at a resort for a night or two on our way to somewhere else.

I’m not going to blame the company, take a fit, declare magic dead, etc. I’m going to be grateful for this time period when I was able to get great value out of these trips with minimal hassle.

And a trip will go back to being a once in awhile splurge, primarily funded by Chase points! (It’s probably more well-rounded to visit other places, anyway!)

Then, of course, there’s that Disney cruise on the agenda.

Who’s going to take a cruise entirely on Chase points? This guy - the same one who had dinner at Victoria & Albert’s entirely on Chase points.

eliza61nyc

But obviously that argument does not hold up. the reality is the parks are enjoying record attendance levels so SOMEONE some where must feel like they are getting their monies worth.

Now as been discussed previously one of the problems I think on these boards is folks suffer from "back in the day-ism". whether that is good or bad is subjective but the bottom line is Disney IS not going back to whatever formula created those "magical" long gone times.

I also think this prophesying of Disney's demise is hysterical. Do you know how long folks have been complaining about how Disney is "to expensive", "catering to the rich" "going to implode"? lol, I remember the freaky deaky meltdown people had when the park ticket price hit the $100 mark. you would have thought Disney short sheeted the Pope, yet it's planning a huge 50th bday celebration. I wish I had a buck for every time I heard that, lol set my retirement fund up real nice.

erasure fan1

That is everyone’s personal decision to make - what is their breaking point?
The problem is, it doesn't look like there is a breaking point. Thats why prices keep skyrocketing and they feel they can nickel and dime us with things like parking fees. Or charge full price for a park that at one point not that long ago, had 3 rides open.
And a trip will go back to being a once in awhile splurge, primarily funded by Chase points! (It’s probably more well-rounded to visit other places, anyway!)
Are you that guy who goes from store to store buying giftcards on your chase card?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m not going to blame the company, take a fit, declare magic dead, etc. I’m going to be grateful for this time period when I was able to get great value out of these trips with minimal hassle.

Everything you said was reasonable until you got to this.

You are the consumer...you never have to apologize for what you spent earlier at a Lower price. This mentality is why iger has floated doing stupid price tactics.

If I bought a Ford today...and it was a plastic piece of crap that is constantly in the shop...do I say “thanks” because a 97 Taurus i had ran like a beast??

...only Disney has their customers feeling guilty for not paying enough. Well...and Apple 😉

eliza61nyc

The problem is, it doesn't look like there is a breaking point. Thats why prices keep skyrocketing and they feel they can nickel and dime us with things like parking fees. Or charge full price for a park that at one point not that long ago, had 3 rides open.

?

But that's how (most) businesses works. Prices increase to what the market can bear. I grew up in my family's restaurant (lol all the kids work it), my grandparents charged the most they could for their product. If the price was too high, stuff did not move.

Southwest airlines just announced it is increasing it's fees for early bird boarding. I think it's 15 dollars and it's going up to I think 20 or 25 bucks on August 29th, Now the cost to offer that service isn't increasing so why the increase? no reason other than the market will bare (or is it bear??) it. They know folks will pay the extra bucks to be able to board early. when it started in 2009 it was 10 bucks so in less than 10 years it's more than doubled.

yes it sucks but again you have choices to get around not paying it.

erasure fan1

But obviously that argument does not hold up. the reality is the parks are enjoying record attendance levels so SOMEONE some where must feel like they are getting their monies worth.
That is true but a lot of people like myself have cut their trips. I know we are the minority right now. But in my (all be it small circle ) I hear more and more people tell me it was a one time trip, it was OK but too expensive too much hassle... Most had a good time but the experience didn't create that oh my god I need to start planning my next trip feeling. That won't do much in the short term, but down the road, that could take a really bad turn for Disney if they aren't careful.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom