Disney Skyliner

danyoung56

No stopping except for the handicap/ECV/etc pull off at all stations except Riviera. Really, the system should never stop except for breakdown/emergencies/weather.

I'm not so sure about that. If you're old enough to remember the Skyways in MK and DL, the buckets became totally unhooked from the cable for load and unload. The cable never stopped (except for breakdowns), but the buckets absolutely did.

trainplane3

I'm not so sure about that. If you're old enough to remember the Skyways in MK and DL, the buckets became totally unhooked from the cable for load and unload. The cable never stopped (except for breakdowns), but the buckets absolutely did.
There are tires in the station that keep them moving at a snails pace. You can see the operations down below:

Goofyernmost

Did you do that just for the reaction??? Compare 1970 technology to today's? Almost a 50 year gap there.

Janir

My worry is the mindblowing speed of these. I dont think it will take long before they start flying off the cables... killing everyone onboard in a fiery death.
No fiery death. No A/C on the gondolas so no juice in them. Just horrifying mangled bodies steaming away in the Florida heat post crash. I hear that Reedy Creek it training a fire team to provide flames to start a crashed gondola so the Fire Dept. has sometime to put out.

ninjaprincesst

Yes on the ski resorts, but I wonder how many people that will rely on these are skiers.
I don't know, and I would think they would have to be easier to get on than ski lifts with all the kids and older people and such. I'm looking forward to at least trying them out though.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It's different. Monorails stop. Moving gondolas can truly throw off those that have not used them.

Lift Blog posted in the main thread a while back how he operates a ski gondola system in the off season with non-skiers and rarely had a problem with people boarding them. Is you personal experience with these systems different?

mdcpr

Lift Blog posted in the main thread a while back how he operates a ski gondola system in the off season with non-skiers and rarely had a problem with people boarding them. Is you personal experience with these systems different?
I've never had issues with any ski lifts, but let's just say that the majority of skiers tend to me more fit and agile than a number of people at WDW. I don't mean to be insulting, I really don't want anyone to take it the wrong way.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I've never had issues with any ski lifts, but let's just say that the majority of skiers tend to me more fit and agile than a number of people at WDW. I don't mean to be insulting, I really don't want anyone to take it the wrong way.

Yes, I would agree with that, but we have first hand evidence that less able bodied non-skiers don't seem to have a problem with these systems.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

People know how to get on a slow moving conveyance. Cf. Moving sidewalks (plenty of them in WDW rides) and escalators. Plus, they'll see how the people in front of them do it. Humans have mammalian imitation reflexes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom