Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

tissandtully

So has it been confirmed the cause of the stoppage was the cabins that crashed into each other on dispatch? Or was that just the effect from a different cause?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Disney Statement

“We have a team diligently looking into the cause of last night’s malfunction on the Epcot line of the Disney Skyliner. We have been in contact with the guests, many of whom were on the Skyliner for more than three hours until we were able to restart the system. We express our sincere apologies for the inconvenience and continue to work with each guest individually”.

So...

1. More than three hours.​
2. Disney does apologize! Which is odd, because we were told Disney and big corporations never apologize out of fear of admitting guilt.​
In this case there’s no denying guilt. There are hundreds of witnesses with photos and videos everywhere. Best to bite the bullet and get the word out that you are taking the situation seriously with a diligent investigation and that those inconvenienced are being “worked with” which is code for free stuff ;)

When this thing reopens they want people to feel it will be safe and in a worse case scenario if it does get stuck they will make up for your lost time.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I didn't know pixie-dusting and union-hating went hand in hand, but every post you've made on this thread is absolute garbage.

It's neither pixie dust nor union hating - it's called the facts. Don't like them?
giphy.gif

flynnibus

Premium Member
If passengers are unable to get out in that allocated time, what is the procedure to delay new arrivals?

The movement in the station is tied to the movement on the rope. So all they do is slow down the line, which slows everyone down, to give them more time before the cabin leaves the zone. If the cabin isn't cleared or something happens, they can stop the cabin, which stops everyone in that station and on that line.

That's why in normal operation you should get slowdowns (think Haunted Mansion) but you should normally not get stops unless someone really struggles. ECVs/wheelchairs have their own loading/unloading zones off the main line. Except at riviera, where ecv/wheelchairs must enter/exit in a normal load/unload zone.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But Flynnibus said I’m a bad engineer for saying that. I’m still hurt about it.

So you can consul each other about both being wrong? The Fire & Rescue of Reedy Creek is not part of Disney.. nor is Reedy Creek Improvement District. RCES is Lilo's failed attempt at using the wrong acronym because the power utility has nothing to do with this conversation.

Disney in effect controls RCID - it is not part of Disney.

Hawg G

RCES typically refers to Reedy Creek Energy Services, which is WDW’s power company and is indeed a subsidiary of the Disney Co.

RCID operates the emergency services and is a public government. It isn’t “owned” by any individual or company.

From Wikipedia:
A five-member Board of Supervisors governs the District, elected by the landowners of the District. These members, senior employees of The Walt Disney Company, each own undeveloped five-acre (2.0 ha) lots of land within the District, the only land in the District not technically controlled by Disney or used for public road purposes. The only residents of the District, also Disney employees or their immediate family members, live in two small communities, one in each city. In the 2000 U.S. Census, Bay Lake had 23 residents, all in the community on the north shore of Bay Lake, and Lake Buena Vista had 16 residents, all in the community about a mile north of Disney Springs. These residents elect the officials of the cities, but since they don't actually own any land, they don't have any power in electing the District Board of Supervisors.

I guess you can split hairs on “own”, but anyone with a brain can figure out RCID was a master stroke by Walt. He created his own government of sorts. So he can avoid the local city gouging Disney for everything under the sun. It is a puppet government, controlled by Disney, ran by Disney employees.

Some folks just can’t admit when they are wrong.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I guess you can split hairs on “own”, but anyone with a brain can figure out RCID was a master stroke by Walt. He created his own government of sorts. So he can avoid the local city gouging Disney for everything under the sun. It is a puppet government, controlled by Disney, ran by Disney employees.

Some folks just can’t admit when they are wrong.

Still a separate legal entity... which is what the discussion was about. Influence is not 'owned' or 'part of'. The reason the Board are all usually Disney employees is because Disney controls the elections. Legal obligations do not covey simply because Disney controls all the votes.

But I mean... what's another atom or two in a molecule right? It's pretty much all the same thing...

Hawg G

RCES typically refers to Reedy Creek Energy Services, which is WDW’s power company and is indeed a subsidiary of the Disney Co.

RCID operates the emergency services and is a public government. It isn’t “owned” by any individual or company.

More than power...

• Utilities – wastewater treatment and collection, water reclamation, electric generation and distribution, solid waste disposal, potable water, natural gas distribution, and hot and chilled water distribution, through Reedy Creek Energy Services, which has been merged with the Walt Disney World Company[10]

lazyboy97o

What city? The area that is now Reedy Creek Improvement District was unincorporated before the District was created. Except a few things like the building codes, the District is not exempt from county law or taxation.

flynnibus

Premium Member
More than power...

• Utilities – wastewater treatment and collection, water reclamation, electric generation and distribution, solid waste disposal, potable water, natural gas distribution, and hot and chilled water distribution, through Reedy Creek Energy Services, which has been merged with the Walt Disney World Company[10]

So? What does wastewater treatment and collection, water reclamation, electric generation and distribution, solid waste disposal, potable water, natural gas distribution, and hot and chilled water distribution have to do with HIPAA again?

MrPromey

I am curious about the latest status of the skyliner. Was there an official announcement of the actual reason it failed? Any idea when it is going to reopen.

It isn't worth looking through pages of comments to find the news. It would be great to have a pinned thread that only contains the latest news and not every comment, complaint and whine":)

I assume you were posting this ironically since your own comment, complaint and whine has just added to the thread that you yourself refuse to read through for information.

That's what you were doing - being funny - right? ;)

Anyway, the point of a thread is to allow people to comment. Some will be useful and have important and insightful information, many, like yours for instance, won't.*

If you're looking for details and accurate hard facts, my suggestion (I'm being serious for a moment) would be to stick with checking the front page of the the site. Steve is good about updating with the most accurate and relevant information. If you don't want to dig through the weeds here, that's honestly your best bet.

*Not to say I've been any help here, either, btw. :D

Last edited:

Hawg G

Still a separate legal entity... which is what the discussion was about. Influence is not 'owned' or 'part of'. The reason the Board are all usually Disney employees is because Disney controls the elections. Legal obligations do not covey simply because Disney controls all the votes.

But I mean... what's another atom or two in a molecule right? It's pretty much all the same thing...

That’s sorta like saying the DPRK truly IS a Republic, since it holds elections that everyone votes in. Just ignore the fact that if you are caught not voting for Dear Leader’s descendent, you and your entire family will be out in labor camps. And that there is only one person on the ballot.

You are only arguing still because you must get paid by Disney per post, regardless of its content. Any reasonable person would look at RCID as being owned by Disney. To think RCID has its own interests in mind, over Disney’s, EVER is pure folly.

What city? The area that is now Reedy Creek Improvement District was unincorporated before the District was created. Except a few things like the building codes, the District is not exempt from county law or taxation.

They can prevent a city from annexing them, and imposing vulture like laws and fees.

Last edited:

Hawg G

So? What does wastewater treatment and collection, water reclamation, electric generation and distribution, solid waste disposal, potable water, natural gas distribution, and hot and chilled water distribution have to do with HIPAA again?

Well, if you want to switch back to that, all of those areas have employee health monitoring in place for one thing or another. Audiometrics, air contaminates, whatever. And they all employ health professionals.

They also have people unlike you that know if you screw up ANYTHING, and get a HIPAA violation lawsuit, it gets very expensive, very fast.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You are only arguing still because you must get paid by Disney per post, regardless of its content. Any reasonable person would look at RCID as being owned by Disney. To think RCID has its own interests in mind, over Disney’s, EVER is pure folly.

Except you were trying to say the entities were --legally-- tied together and obligated by HIPAA --due-- to that relationship. None of which is true. Your deflection to lay understandings of RCID is a nice deflection.. but has no standing when it comes to your earlier claims. Which were, and still are, bunkus.

This isn't horseshoes or hand grendades...

Last I'm posting about this. Even the minors can follow this one... clearly you can't and don't want to. So p00f

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom