Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

joelkfla

I have ridden in cable cars too in other countries, but let's be honest the way these are secured to the pulley system don't look incredibly safe to begin with.
There's no difference in grip operation between Skyliner and all the other Doppelmayr D-Line systems that have been built over the past few years. Older systems and ones by other manufacturers are slightly different, but they all follow the same basic detachable grip design and operation.

LSLS

I was stating a fact with the first part of my post. I have visited numerous blogs and disney sites and those topics were addressed.
People knew something like this was going to happen.

Reinforcing my point to mention the heat. I didn't think that wasn't allowed.

And I legitimately asked a question. Why are they necessary in the first place?
Disney does things and people don't question it because it's Disney. I still don't understand the reason for them.

Which site stated there absolutely would be a crash?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I was stating a fact with the first part of my post. I have visited numerous blogs and disney sites and those topics were addressed.
People knew something like this was going to happen.
That ranks right up there with the precognition prowess of a fortune teller that predicts "someone you know will die in the next 50 years" It is a mechanical system built, operated, maintained and used by humans. An incident was an inevitability. About the only thing remotely surprising is how soon it happened.

And I legitimately asked a question. Why are they necessary in the first place?
It should be pretty obvious...the current transportation systems are overtaxed and a new one was needed. The gondolas are a very logical choice. They are low cost, safe, used all over the world and me Disney's needs.

NelsonRD

The reality of it is, that most people will not remember the details of this incident. Even those who read about it in the news. I believe while we may discuss it at length on these forums, the only those who were actually stranded, or really obsess over the Skyliner will have any lasting doubt - unless it reopens, and there is another incident soon after. But overall, most people won't know, or won't care.

TrojanUSC

I have ridden in cable cars too in other countries, but let's be honest the way these are secured to the pulley system don't look incredibly safe to begin with.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not "quaking in my boots", but Disney needs to work out the safety issues.
And those emergency packs in the gondolas ...that's a topic for another time.

I simply rent a car when I go down, or drive there myself. It is far more convenient and I'm not crammed into public transportation like a sardine.

What? This is a state-of-the-art system from the world's most respected manufacturer. Stop espousing nonsense as near-fact.

NelsonRD

We are traveling down to Disney soon. While discussing our trip to some co-workers, who casually visit Disney, I mentioned the incident on the Skyliner, and how I was hoping it would return to operation so I can experience it. Their response was mostly, Oh, that sucks. - Not, your still going to get on the sweat box, with no A/C, that will strand you for hours, make you sick, and risk your life after a major collision that shook the whole epcot line?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Funny part is I don't think anyone said the gondolas would crash into each other?

Sure death boxes, alligators and brain eating amebas, the usual stuff.
Well, that's because gondola collisions are entirely possible - none of the other so-called hazards were realistic.

captainbuzzy

I like facts so I went to an article published by The National Ski Areas Association on chairlift safety. I know they want to promote the safety of their operations but their report primarily talks about chairlifts where the occupants are unrestrained and not gondola systems which I would rate as safer due to being enclosed.

"In short, a passenger is five times more likely to suffer a fatality riding an elevator than a ski lift, and more than eight times more likely to suffer a fatality riding in a car than on a ski lift"

I won't have an issue riding the Skyliner when it opens as they will definitely have the root cause identified and fixed.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 87

Goofyernmost

I think they look secured just fine, if I'm being honest, and that is where you're flare for exaggeration has come in and likely why you're not getting the reactions you seem to desire. I was down last month and watched them. Nothing I saw made me worried and this still doesn't make me worried. But as I've acknowledged, Disney has some lessons to learn here. I'm just not concerned they won't figure it out. And this is coming from someone who got evac-ed off two different rides in a 48 hour period last month.
I've got an idea of how I could make money. I have been going to WDW at least once a year for 36 years (46 trips total) and have never once been evac-ed from a ride or ever stopped more than 4 or 5 minutes. So here's my plan. I can move on down to Kissimmee and for a fee (plus admission) will accompany any of you folks for your days adventures. Apparently, I have some mystic power that just doesn't allow any ride or attraction to go down while I am on it. It's a very valuable power and I am willing to sacrifice my time and your money to prevent anyone (I'm not picky) from having their vacation ruined.

Last edited:

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I've got an idea of how I could make money. I have been going to WDW at least once a year for 36 years (46 total) and have never once been evac-ed from a ride or ever stopped more than 4 or 5 minutes. So here's my plan. I can move on down to Kissimmee and for a fee (plus admission) will accompany any of you folks for your days adventures. Apparently, I have some mystic pow
eFfmdb3.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom