Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

Doug Means

every time the gondolas stop, there are a certain number of people who are now not in the parks for some amount of time (people in the gondolas and in the lines for the gondolas). That may mean i get one more ride in some park that i wouldn't have if those people made it to where they were going. Disney maybe stopping them on purpose to help with crowd control.

On the flip of that, when i do finally get to ride them, if i get stuck for a few hours, Disney better keep them attractions going after hours for the time i missed (after hours me a security guard and my family with the cast members running the attraction - Griswold style

Lilofan

Disney should market the Skyliner in a way that everyone should feel welcome to ride. On the flip side, most of the blood curling screaming when the elevators door open at the top of the Tower of Terror hotel can be heard around the Tower Courtyard and Sunset Blvd at DHS. That's great theatre and scary too for the first timer.😈.

BromBones

You're allowed to voice your concerns. Just as I am allowed to say that I think your concerns are a bit hyperbolic and that I find them exaggerated. Every form of transport at Disney and in general has been involved in accidents, from plane crashes to car crashes to monorail crashes, ect.

I kinda wish you'd been with me when I went on multiple gigantic cable cars/gondolas this summer to get to the tops of mountains in the German and Austrian Alps. If a car got stuck there, you're totally screwed as there's likely no equipment on earth that's going to get you down in a timely manner given the heights. The best part is depending on where you'd theoretically get stuck in this scenario, you could either freeze or be cooked! The views were glorious though :)

Every time something like this happens, we [as in humans] learn and try to make things safer. There is a reason your car is now fiberglass and not steel. Disney will learn here too. I'm not worried. And I'll still ride them. They don't scare me. If they leave you quaking in your boots, thankfully there are other transport options, as I listed for you.

[PS Lol. No I didn't think you'd ride them. That's obvious. Haha]

I have ridden in cable cars too in other countries, but let's be honest the way these are secured to the pulley system don't look incredibly safe to begin with.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not "quaking in my boots", but Disney needs to work out the safety issues.
And those emergency packs in the gondolas ...that's a topic for another time.

I simply rent a car when I go down, or drive there myself. It is far more convenient and I'm not crammed into public transportation like a sardine.

trainplane3

Did you see the way they came at me when I dared offer my opinion in the first place?
It was automatic dismissive mockery. Please go back and check out the history after my initial post on this topic and see what was posted.
I am going to defend myself. Sadly it looks like I actually have to here.
Opinion?
Your very first post wasn't a very good one and was more like you stating a fact:
It was only a matter of time before something like this happened.
We all saw it coming, but I don't think we ever thought it would happen this soon.

Now just imagine what it would be like in those cars in the summer for 4 hours in 95+ degree heat and 90% humidity.

Were the Skyliners actually necessary?
Coming out swinging with the typical "I knew this would happen" and the same old "what if it happened in the daytime" that we've heard many times isn't a great first impression.

BromBones

Opinion?
Your very first post wasn't a very good one and was more like you stating a fact:

Coming out swinging with the typical "I knew this would happen" and the same old "what if it happened in the daytime" that we've heard many times isn't a great first impression.

I was stating a fact with the first part of my post. I have visited numerous blogs and disney sites and those topics were addressed.
People knew something like this was going to happen.

Reinforcing my point to mention the heat. I didn't think that wasn't allowed.

And I legitimately asked a question. Why are they necessary in the first place?
Disney does things and people don't question it because it's Disney. I still don't understand the reason for them.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
So now voicing my genuine concerns is not allowed because I don't agree with the consensus of some on this site?
3d1sa9.jpg

bubbles1812

I have ridden in cable cars too in other countries, but let's be honest the way these are secured to the pulley system don't look incredibly safe to begin with.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not "quaking in my boots", but Disney needs to work out the safety issues.
And those emergency packs in the gondolas ...that's a topic for another time.

I simply rent a car when I go down, or drive there myself. It is far more convenient and I'm not crammed into public transportation like a sardine.
I think they look secured just fine, if I'm being honest, and that is where you're flare for exaggeration has come in and likely why you're not getting the reactions you seem to desire. I was down last month and watched them. Nothing I saw made me worried and this still doesn't make me worried. But as I've acknowledged, Disney has some lessons to learn here. I'm just not concerned they won't figure it out. And this is coming from someone who got evac-ed off two different rides in a 48 hour period last month.

You seem pretty scared, based on the your posts, but ironically, you're still far more likely to get into a car accident than to get hurt on these things. I'll also point out that the gondolas, as with everything, are optional. Your concern for others is admirable but I'm not going to put you on a pedestal for it.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Disney would love to invite all the "It's safe, if you have any concerns then don't ride it :p " to work in their PR Dept.

For myself the issue isn't safety. We've all seen the pictographs for impeccable gondola safety. I'm hoping to gauge the risk of lengthy delays in uncomfortable conditions &/or abundant downtime that would make it unreliable during our trip at this point. What happens over the next 4 weeks matters to me. Totally rational.

I'm excited to use it. We're going in less than 2 months out and worked into our plans. If it reopens and operates with little issue, we're keep our plans. If huge kinks are still popping up, I'm out for now and we'll need to adjust our plan. I have confidence it will be okay but I'm also following for confirmation. Not riding Skyliner will be disappointing but it's not a deal-breaker for our trip.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Did you see the way they came at me when I dared offer my opinion in the first place?
It was automatic dismissive mockery. Please go back and check out the history after my initial post on this topic and see what was posted.
I am going to defend myself. Sadly it looks like I actually have to here.
If you feel others are bullying you then report the relevant posts to the moderators. They are pretty fair

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So now voicing my genuine concerns is not allowed because I don't agree with the consensus of some on this site?

And from anything I have written, what makes you think I plan to go on those?

If you are to negative you will attacked as a hater, to positive as a pixie-duster. You have to walk a very fine line when posting here if you don't want people to attack you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom