Disney Sewing Projects!

teacherlady19

I loved finding this forum, and this thread in particular! I used to sew a lot, but haven't done much recently except for costumes for elementary school plays. About the most recent projects were shopping cart covers for my baby grandchildren. My granddaughter has one with pink Winnie-the-Pooh print on one side, and pink velour on the other. The leg holes are bound with pink bias tape. My grandson has a tan-and-red Cars print on one side, and tan velour on the other. The leg holes are bound with red bias tape. Both daughters love these -- practical, cute, and of course Disney. I wish I had pictures of them -- both daughters owe me a photo of the cover in use. :)

With Halloween coming up, I'm thinking about making my granddaughter a costume to wear to her church Fall Festival. In October, she will be 20 months old -- currently in 18-month sized dresses (store-bought), but not sure where she'll be in 3 months. What pattern company has the most authentic looking Disney costumes? I saw a toddler fairy costume - Simplicity, a Cinderella and a Snow White also in Simplicity. It doesn't look like McCalls has any that small, though Butterick has one with Belle in a size 2-5. This year I may get to choose -- when my granddaughter is older, she may have her own ideas!

My grandson will be 9 months old then, and his mom seems to have a little costume for him already to wear to a church Halloween thing. So for this year, I'm off the hook.

Any advice???

Donna

QuiltinMom

I came across this site looking for Disney fabric, and I love it! I did a quilt inspired by my favorite place to be, The Polynesian Resort.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 94

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Oh awesome! I realize they make things easy but I am doubting that I can make this or that since I'm not much of a sewer, though I can patch a hole and sew on a button.
Well, there's never a better time to learn. ;)

I don't just automatically know what I'm doing. I promise you! Like when I first get a new pattern the first thing I do is pull out the instructions. I study the pattern pieces and what they are within the construction. Then I read the instructions step-by-step. I'm not talking reading like you'd read a book. I read the words and contemplate them carefully to fully understand and visualize in my mind what it's telling me to do. I try to obtain a full basic understanding of the contruction before I ever cut into my fabrics. The hardest and probably most important part is patience. I almost always mess something up. When I get done cursing and yelling I get out the seam ripper, carefully undo it, then go again. I won't say I've never scrapped an entire project because I wasn't pleased with where it was going or because I discovered it was beyond my abilities.

All that said, my favorite patterns are ones that say "Easy" or "Simple". I need easy and simple! LOL! There's also beginner stuff. Try those FIRST. Once you get the hang of handling things you can easily work your way into more complex things.

Find something truly easy-peasy and give it a whirl. Even if you don't have or know how to use a sewing machine. There is NOTHING wrong with hand-stitching. The things I've made in my life that I'm most proud of are the things I sewed entirely by hand. Many years ago when I was working night shifts I hand-sewed my mother a Raggedy Ann & Andy set. Every stitch of the dolls as well as every stitch of the clothing on their bodies I stitched with my hands, not on a machine. A friend of mine creates heirloom teddy bears entirely by hand. They are VERY valuable and highly sought after by collectors. Not a stitch of them ever runs thru a machine. I've actually been thinking recently that I need to find something to sew entirely by hand. I need to work on my hand work and fine-tune my finish work more. ;)

You don't happen to live near Houston, Texas, huh? I'd gladly sit and teach. I taught my sister-in-law to make a rag quilt over the summer. When she first approached me about the quilt, she wanted me to make one for her. I was so afraid she'd be displeased with my work that I insisted I show her and SHE do the work. This turned into the most amazing gift for both of us! I helped her find a great sewing machine and taught her to use it. I showed her how to make her plans, calculate how much fabric to purchase, and cut it all. We did layouts then we started the sewing. It was such fun. The best part was all the hours we spent together just being girls, laughing and talking. I wouldn't trade it for anything. The time meant the world to me. I found, tho, that I like to teach. I get such joy from seeing the pride in someone else's face. My poor sis-in-law never could sew a single stitch. Not even buttons! She was brave to jump in and let me teach her. Now she has a gorgeous quilt that she adores but most importantly she can say "I did this!" She sure did! My crazy fabric-stashing has rubbed off on her, too. LOL! She's been buying up tons of fabrics and planning quilts for lots of her other family members. So awesome!

Don't be afraid to try. At least if you try you will know whether or not sewing from patterns is your thing. If you never try you'll never know. Right?

NiarrNDisney

Well, there's never a better time to learn. ;)

I don't just automatically know what I'm doing. I promise you! Like when I first get a new pattern the first thing I do is pull out the instructions. I study the pattern pieces and what they are within the construction. Then I read the instructions step-by-step. I'm not talking reading like you'd read a book. I read the words and contemplate them carefully to fully understand and visualize in my mind what it's telling me to do. I try to obtain a full basic understanding of the contruction before I ever cut into my fabrics. The hardest and probably most important part is patience. I almost always mess something up. When I get done cursing and yelling I get out the seam ripper, carefully undo it, then go again. I won't say I've never scrapped an entire project because I wasn't pleased with where it was going or because I discovered it was beyond my abilities.

All that said, my favorite patterns are ones that say "Easy" or "Simple". I need easy and simple! LOL! There's also beginner stuff. Try those FIRST. Once you get the hang of handling things you can easily work your way into more complex things.

Find something truly easy-peasy and give it a whirl. Even if you don't have or know how to use a sewing machine. There is NOTHING wrong with hand-stitching. The things I've made in my life that I'm most proud of are the things I sewed entirely by hand. Many years ago when I was working night shifts I hand-sewed my mother a Raggedy Ann & Andy set. Every stitch of the dolls as well as every stitch of the clothing on their bodies I stitched with my hands, not on a machine. A friend of mine creates heirloom teddy bears entirely by hand. They are VERY valuable and highly sought after by collectors. Not a stitch of them ever runs thru a machine. I've actually been thinking recently that I need to find something to sew entirely by hand. I need to work on my hand work and fine-tune my finish work more. ;)

You don't happen to live near Houston, Texas, huh? I'd gladly sit and teach. I taught my sister-in-law to make a rag quilt over the summer. When she first approached me about the quilt, she wanted me to make one for her. I was so afraid she'd be displeased with my work that I insisted I show her and SHE do the work. This turned into the most amazing gift for both of us! I helped her find a great sewing machine and taught her to use it. I showed her how to make her plans, calculate how much fabric to purchase, and cut it all. We did layouts then we started the sewing. It was such fun. The best part was all the hours we spent together just being girls, laughing and talking. I wouldn't trade it for anything. The time meant the world to me. I found, tho, that I like to teach. I get such joy from seeing the pride in someone else's face. My poor sis-in-law never could sew a single stitch. Not even buttons! She was brave to jump in and let me teach her. Now she has a gorgeous quilt that she adores but most importantly she can say "I did this!" She sure did! My crazy fabric-stashing has rubbed off on her, too. LOL! She's been buying up tons of fabrics and planning quilts for lots of her other family members. So awesome!
Don't be afraid to try. At least if you try you will know whether or not sewing from patterns is your thing. If you never try you'll never know. Right?

Well said! I'm afraid I do not live by you so lesson wouldn't work out but thank you for inspiring me to try something new. I'm actually pretty crafty and have been known to make just about anything without any formal training or lessons so I am betting I can figure out how to make that cool little insert wallet you made, though I'm certain there will be a seam ripper and some band aids near by.

Where did you find the pattern again?

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Well said! I'm afraid I do not live by you so lesson wouldn't work out but thank you for inspiring me to try something new. I'm actually pretty crafty and have been known to make just about anything without any formal training or lessons so I am betting I can figure out how to make that cool little insert wallet you made, though I'm certain there will be a seam ripper and some band aids near by.

It's been a while but I think I got it off of Etsy. Hey! Message me your email address!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster

And I want to see your finished project!!!

teacherlady19

I just finished making my granddaughter a dress for her 2nd birthday. The fabric for the bodice was green Tinkerbell, which I also used as a trim for the white skirt. Then I made a coordinating dress for her doll. She loved it! In this picture, she is pointing at one of the Tinkerbells on the trim. Evidently she had to find ALL of the Tinks on the dress! (She loves Tinkerbell, which tickles her grandpa because he introduced her to the movies.)

Donna

valerienewdress.jpg

dixiegirl

Maybe someone here can help me, My youngest wants to dress up as The Maid from haunted mansion...well, I've found the fabric online but now I need a pattern...I've looked online and well came up with nada.. If it was really up to me I'd buy the costume, but, between ebay , etsy and pinterest, NOTHING!! So now yours truly gets to make it...Have I added that my sewing experience is about limited to making Valances and hemming pants, lol..But for my 10yr old daughter, not sure how much longer she is going to want to dress up...Any help would be very greatly appreciated!! Oh and have I mentioned that we leave in 3 1/2 weeks?? yeah , times a ticking!!

PARichards

Maybe someone here can help me, My youngest wants to dress up as The Maid from haunted mansion...well, I've found the fabric online but now I need a pattern...I've looked online and well came up with nada.. If it was really up to me I'd buy the costume, but, between ebay , etsy and pinterest, NOTHING!! So now yours truly gets to make it...Have I added that my sewing experience is about limited to making Valances and hemming pants, lol..But for my 10yr old daughter, not sure how much longer she is going to want to dress up...Any help would be very greatly appreciated!! Oh and have I mentioned that we leave in 3 1/2 weeks?? yeah , times a ticking!!

Just found this... looks like there's a nice apron that might serve as a good starting point/inspiration. Let us know how it goes!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...chandise-appearing-this-fall-at-disney-parks/

http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/831859

Last edited:

Soarin' Over Pgh

I would make, as PARIchards above linked, a general pattern and embellish as necessary. :)

Kat326

Aww yeah, this thread is right up my alley!

We're going to MNSSHP for the first time ever in a couple weeks, and since I was the only one in the family who can sew, I'm in charge of the costumes!!! I'm about 3/4 of the way done with everything. My costume (Donald Duck) and my BF's costume (Russell) are done! My parent's costumes are nearly done, but I don't have any photos of them yet. My mom's going as Cruella de Vil & my Dad's going as Goofy!

tumblr_nbss38IbEm1qdmqf8o1_1280.jpg

BxHReuRCQAAr1ia.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom