News Disney Riviera Resort announced

CaptainAmerica

But would you pay Polynesian rates for them?
This is the part I can't figure out. You know me, I'm all "supply and demand, Disney can charge whatever they want and the fanbois can cry about it." I have no problem with Polynesian rates or Animal Kingdom Lodge rates or Fort Wilderness Cabins rates. But I'm very very confused as to who they're targeting here. Who is ACTUALLY going to pay Poly rates for this place?

Club Cooloholic

This is the part I can't figure out. You know me, I'm all "supply and demand, Disney can charge whatever they want and the fanbois can cry about it." I have no problem with Polynesian rates or Animal Kingdom Lodge rates or Fort Wilderness Cabins rates. But I'm very very confused as to who they're targeting here. Who is ACTUALLY going to pay Poly rates for this place?
Maybe they figure a guest who has been there a bunch of times and wants to ride the new skyline are willing to shell out more for it. They might drop the process down after a few years Also it's a DVC property, so they want people to think they are getting their money's worth especially since new buyers won't be able to use points at the old properties. And Grandfathered in DVC owners will probably see it as a bad value for their points.

Nick Pappagiorgio

Seemed a little high to me as well, but isn't it all based on Skyliner access?

CaptainAmerica

Also it's a DVC property, so they want people to think they are getting their money's worth especially since new buyers won't be able to use points at the old properties.
Is that true? I thought it was the opposite of that... if you buy (resale) at one of the old properties, you can't use your points at Riviera, not the other way around.

Regardless, that argument only works if people actually pay the cash price. People make the same argument about the dining plan, how it props up artificially high prices at restaurants. In theory that's true, but there aren't enough dining plan guests (or DVC members) to support these things on their own if nobody is actually willing to pay the cash price.

Seemed a little high to me as well, but isn't it all based on Skyliner access?
I guess, if you place Skyliner access on par with monorail access. I don't expect people will.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

They are just “probing” the limits...an iger trademark.

They feel that Star Wars zeal combined with Epcot festival revelry will allow a higher price than the place will be worth.

The consumers will cave...at least at first

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Is that true? I thought it was the opposite of that... if you buy (resale) at one of the old properties, you can't use your points at Riviera, not the other way around.

Actually both are true.
BLT got a lot of criticism when it opened but has many fans now. This looks much nicer than the BLT.
BLT isn’t a good design or build...they screwed up the contemporary dining to do it as well.

I know that’s not a popular opinion...but I thought it since I set foot in it the first time. Have only stayed twice...compared to about 10 at DAK.

nickys

Premium Member

Regardless, that argument only works if people actually pay the cash price. People make the same argument about the dining plan, how it props up artificially high prices at restaurants. In theory that's true, but there aren't enough dining plan guests (or DVC members) to support these things on their own if nobody is actually willing to pay the cash price.

Direct buyers at any resort can use their points at any resort.

Those who bought resale before Jan 19th can use their points at any resort.

New resale buyers at the Legacy 14 resorts cannot use their points at Riviera.

Resale buyers at Riviera will only be able to use their points at Riviera, nowhere else.

Riviera will sell out, just like every other DVC resort. And in the meantime, people will pay the prices to stay here. Just like they do for the Poly, GF and all the other deluxe resorts.

By allowing cash sales from Dec 16th, they will get people booking for SW:GE. It’s already hard to book a studio for mid December! As we get closer, the actual opening date will be confirmed and it’s likely that it will be a month or more earlier. The 16th December is just when they are absolutely sure it will be ready.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If we posit that Iger/Disney is a greed machine, then it follows that Iger/Disney wouldn't have built all these new DVCs at such a high price point if they didn't think they'd have the buyers for it. They may be wrong about it in the end, but, they surely are sure they have the buyers to go through with this new tower. And they're the ones with access to the figures and results for DVC sales and inquiries and surveys.

Missing20K

Which high-end Italian/French Riviera (or anything in Europe) hotel sleeps more than 3? Asking for a friend.
Lots and lots and lots. Yes you might pay a premium for them, but they do exist. I was fortunate enough as a young lad to stay with my family (of 4) in a very adequately sized hotel suite in Monterosso.

My wife and I had a two bedroom condo to ourselves just outside Paris.

Now, our hotel in the middle of London was a shoebox, but nonetheless. One can stay many places throughout Europe that have rooms comparable to American Hotels. Some cases even larger.

nickys

Premium Member
Every single Courtyard by Marriott in the country. Their model is called “Bistro” enjoy!

Except the article linked by @cjgren says the Seattle one is a new concept.

So you’re saying Starbucks operates already these in every single Courtyard by Marriott? I just checked the one in Boston, but no mention of a Starbucks or even a Bistro.....

nickys

Premium Member
Lots and lots and lots. Yes you might pay a premium for them, but they do exist. I was fortunate enough as a young lad to stay with my family (of 4) in a very adequately sized hotel suite in Monterosso.

My wife and I had a two bedroom condo to ourselves just outside Paris.

Now, our hotel in the middle of London was a shoebox, but nonetheless. One can stay many places throughout Europe that have rooms comparable to American Hotels. Some cases even larger.

Including the DLP hotels lol!

Club Cooloholic

I guess, if you place Skyliner access on par with monorail access. I don't expect people will.
You're right if you buy at Riviera direct you can still use at the old resorts
But hanging over your head is that if you try to sell your buyer can only use it there. Not the most attractive product to market

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
https://courtyard.marriott.com/courtyard-experience/

Not sure which Boston Courtyard you looked at, but the ones I looked at had them.

Right. Indeed there is a Bistro, which sells Starbucks coffee.

I can go into any petrol station (gas station) in the U.K. and get a cup of branded coffee from a machine, be it Starbucks, Costa or whatever. It doesn’t make that a Starbucks / Costa etc.

Semantics? Maybe. But a Starbucks coffee shop has a Starbucks logo above the door.

Nextinline

I wonder how much research went into this design. Did anyone from WDI actually go the French or Italian Riviera to study the location??? Based on the final product it looks like they flew into central France and stayed at the airport hotel for some inspiration.

Time: 2018. Place: any Courtyard Marriott

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom