News Disney Riviera Resort announced

cosmicgirl

I wish they'd revisit a DC area DVC and one in the Jackson Hole area would be swell. I get there's the RCI thing but I want Disney branded resorts

I'm far from an expert on DVC, but seeing how long it's taking them to sell Aulani and how much lower those contracts are valued in resale compared to park resorts my gut is telling me non-park resorts are not something we'll see again in the near future. I'm under the impression that many people want to visit the non-park resorts but (relatively) few want to own. I'd love a ski resort, though!

raymusiccity

I'm far from an expert on DVC, but seeing how long it's taking them to sell Aulani and how much lower those contracts are valued in resale compared to park resorts my gut is telling me non-park resorts are not something we'll see again in the near future. I'm under the impression that many people want to visit the non-park resorts but (relatively) few want to own. I'd love a ski resort, though!
I don't think Aulani is a valid comparison to any DVC located Stateside. I believe that the most significant speed bump slowing sales is the huge airfare expense. Flying a family round trip to Oahu equals what most people spend on their whole vacation. Plus, you lose a day going and another day coming back, especially if you live on the East Coast.

peter11435

I don't think Aulani is a valid comparison to any DVC located Stateside. I believe that the most significant speed bump slowing sales is the huge airfare expense. Flying a family round trip to Oahu equals what most people spend on their whole vacation. Plus, you lose a day going and another day coming back, especially if you live on the East Coast.
Agreed. That said, Having been to Aulani, it’s completely worth it.

cosmicgirl

I agree that distance is indeed a factor, but I believe the lack of parks is the bigger factor. And yes, Vero Beach and Hilton Head sold out without being next to a park but the relative buy-in cost of DVC has also gone up so the threshold is higher. If distance and resulting travel cost were the main reason for slower sales at Aulani then by that logic there would also be no owners from Europe, Japan, Australia, etc. at the park resorts, which is not the case. Our travel cost and time from Europe to FL or CA is about the same as that from the East Coast to Honolulu and that's not stopping middle-class Europeans from buying in, the UK is a prime example of that.

I also agree that Aulani is wonderful but I would not buy there because there are so many other island destinations to go to, whereas there are only six Disney resorts (in the non-hotel sense) in the world. I wouldn't want to commit to one and the same island, yet I would have no trouble committing to the parks because I know I'll go back to see what I can't see anywhere else. As much as we loved Aulani, for us the repeat rate is just lower than it is for the parks because there are so many alternatives around the world.

We'll have to wait and see how the Riviera turns out in terms of design and price point, but it'll certainly have its location going for it.

raymusiccity

Agreed. That said, Having been to Aulani, it’s completely worth it.

It sure is worth it. We'll be going back in October!
Aulani will soon benefit from their new next door neighbor, Atlantis!

"Atlantis Ko Olina
Budget: 1.5B
Announced:15 Dec 2013
Construction Start: 2016
Opening: 2021
Developer:China Oceanwide Holdings, Kerzner (Atlantis)
Ride Suppliers: Cloward H2O, ProSlide Technology, WhiteWater
Other Suppliers:Gateway Ticketing." Credit: 01/18/18 Themeparx

Last edited:

Donald Razorduck

It sure is worth it. We'll be going back in October!
Aulani will soon benefit from their new next door neighbor, Atlantis!

"Atlantis Ko Olina
Budget: 1.5B
Announced:15 Dec 2013
Construction Start: 2016
Opening: 2021
Developer:China Oceanwide Holdings, Kerzner (Atlantis)
Ride Suppliers: Cloward H2O, ProSlide Technology, WhiteWater
Other Suppliers:Gateway Ticketing." Credit: 01/18/18 Themeparx

Atlantis may get construction started full bore this year. They are wrapping up the China property right now, which is stunning.

And....yes Hawaii is totally different than it being in the mainland.

Then again, I think Disney is missing the boat on having an actual iverboat Cruises on the Mississippi, not Adventures by Disney, but a Disney Steamboat Willy paddlewheeler. Complete with a private stop Tom and Huck Water Park along the way. There could be a DVC alongside that.

AN all Marvel Park in San Antonio/Austin complete with hotels and DVC.

seascape

A Skiing DVC would be the best stand-alone idea they could come up with- moreso than DC. Skiing and high points in high season, horseback riding/archery and other outdoors activities in slow season (summer/fall).

No way any of this happens though. Why build a new standalone- even next to a park- when you can just convert rip up Riverside and connect it to Port Orlean's already existing infrastructure?

Maybe someone with some vision about how to best mold the long-term image and value of DVC will step in instead of someone who only sees quarterly dollar signs and sales numbers.
I think NYC DVC would do well for 3 and 4 day stays to see Disney on Broadway. They never should have scrapped their prior plans. Just include discount tickets.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
thought i read that the new resort is 300 rooms so that doesnt really add up to demolish close to 600 and only rebuild half that many.
Because of the various size of the units, the number of DVC rooms at a resort is usually listed in 2 bedroom equivalents. That basically means that for occupancy 300 DVC rooms is about 500 to 600 studio hotel rooms depending on room layouts. For comparison BLT is also listed as about 300 rooms. It’s a pretty large resort.

cosmicgirl

A Skiing DVC would be the best stand-alone idea they could come up with- moreso than DC. Skiing and high points in high season, horseback riding/archery and other outdoors activities in slow season (summer/fall).

No way any of this happens though. Why build a new standalone- even next to a park- when you can just convert rip up Riverside and connect it to Port Orlean's already existing infrastructure?

Maybe someone with some vision about how to best mold the long-term image and value of DVC will step in instead of someone who only sees quarterly dollar signs and sales numbers.
Who knows, maybe they got a 2-for-1 with Doppelmayer ;).

EricsBiscuit

What I did was do Aulani on the way back from Tokyo and Shanghai. I stayed in Hawaii 1 night on the way and 3 nights on the return.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Thursday, March 1, 2018. Some ground level views of the Riviera Resort construction. First photo is the beach view from the Aruba section of Caribbean Beach Resort.

IMG_0268.JPG

The view from the road bridge at Sea Breeze Drive, looking past Old Port Royale Centertown pool area.

IMG_0272.JPG

The view from the boardwalk around Centertown pool area.

IMG_0275.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom