News Disney Riviera Resort announced

ToTBellHop

I would expect to see a "resort" style pool. Have you ever seen a pool shaped like this in your life? It makes no sense. The pool slide is a joke; two turns and it's done. A pool at a Disney resort should be the main attraction. I don't see where this wows anybody. Not much you can do about it now, so it is what it is. A missed opportunity.
French Quarter’s slide is one turn. Wilderness Lodge is hardly incredible. Same for AKL. It’s not always jaw-dropping. They have water parks. I wonder what children think of the pool complex.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I would say the WL main pool’s slide is surprisingly long. The pool also has 92 times more ambience than the main Riviera pool due to lake proximity, the little creek flowing over the rocks into the main pool, the faux Old Faithful, etc. I do agree the pool at WL isn’t among the very best. I’ve hit every pool with a slide at WDW (including the really lame secondary pool at SS that has a slide). I love Disney pools and at some future point will visit the Rivieras. I don’t have high hopes for it though based on the pictures. I own some points at Beach Club just for Stormalong Bay. I consider that complex a whole separate entity though with regards to pool ratings. Anyway, IMO, the only way Disney gets away with a so-so main DVC pool is if the area around the pool is somewhat compelling without the adequate splish splash area.

Also, I was just catching up (heading to the sunshine state right now) and I almost made a premature “Menards dry wall anchors joke.”

Minthorne

So quick Riviera impressions:

1. Underwhelming lobby -Grand Destino was more impressive.
2. Topolino was disappointing- better dinners this trip at Mama Melrose and The Wave.
3. Took Skyliner over for dinner from Boardwalk. During dinner rain started and the Skyliner went down. Only option back to boardwalk was a bus to Disney Springs then catch another bus.

I much prefer staying at boardwalk.

Last edited:

mj2v

The thing is, Disney used to do more - much more in this segment and the levels below it.
This is a high end resort, themed on the ultra luxury of the Riviera and it's just ok.
Looking at the images of the pools and the water slide outside, all I can think of is; "That's it???"
It's not bad, it's nice... but it's far below what it should be and what Disney used to do.
"Not bad" shouldn't be the Disney standard for their deluxe accommodations.
So you have stayed at the resort?

Parker in NYC

So quick Riviera impressions:

1. Underwhelming lobby -Grand Destino was more impressive.
2. Topolino was disappointing- better dinners this trip at Mama Melrose and The Wave.
3. Took Skyliner over for dinner from Boardwalk. During dinner rain started and the Skyliner went down. Only option back to boardwalk was a bus to Disney Springs then catch another bus.

I much prefer staying at boardwalk.

No one was forcing you to take the bus to Disney Springs. You could have taken a lyft/uber/minnie van/taxi.

Oops, sorry. Wrong thread!

Notes from Neverland

Walked through this resort the other day (stopped by from the Skyliner) and thought the landscaping was quite nice. It has a feel that's pretty similar to the Gran Destino. Inside, we only checked out the main lobby and popped into the cafe and store off of the lobby, but our main thoughts were that it was pretty small. It does seem to match more of a homely vibe rather than the larger and more impressive Gran Destino lobby. We saw some AP deals for $360ish a night in the Studio rooms, but even that "discounted" rate seems way too steep for the room even with the awesome Skyliner access.

flyerjab

We are booked at the Riviera for March. Considering its location and points-per-night, I didn't think it was worth it but DW wanted to give it a try. Opinions please. Do we keep or cancel our reservation?

Thanks!

We have actually stayed in the resort. Contrary to many, my wife and I absolutely fell in love with it. We ate breakfast twice at Primo Piatto and the food was great. And that opinion is not just mine or my wife’s but also my 3 teenagers - and they are picky. We were also fortunate to have had dinner at Topolino’s Terrace and again it was an excellent experience. The service was as it should be for signature dining. We all had pasta dishes and we all went crazy for them. I had the bucatini and I would recommend that to anyone.

The rooms are beautifully appointed, and come in a close second only to the Grand Floridian Villas (I rate these the best on property so to say the Riviera rooms are a close second is pretty significant).

The resort grounds are wonderful. One of the days we were there we we stayed at the resort the entire day. We used both pools and enjoyed both of them. The Riva Bar is a nice pool bar, and they have a gelato cart by the main pool. Also, the seclusion of the smaller infinity pool that is created by the high hedge is a nice touch. We walked the loop that goes through Caribbean Beach and just remembered how nice it is to have the refurbed restaurant and bar located there as it adds another little destination to go to.

Let me put it this way. It never hurts to try something new. Before going to this resort my wife had absolutely no intentions of buying here. And after the experience, well...we now bought a new contract here so it is now our 2nd home away from home. It obviously all comes down to personal taste and how you assess value and expense. I’ve posted on here long enough that if anyone understands the finances behind the parks it is you. 😊 I would tell you to give it a shot. It isn’t an over-the-top themed hotel. But honestly, I don’t think that is what they were going for in this case. This is more akin to an inspired-by design aesthetic IMO. But you can be your own judge. We - all 5 of us in our family - loved it. My kids asked if we could stay at Riviera every time. Rarely are my kids as impressed as me and my wife. So we jumped at the opportunity to own. Anyway, I hope you decide to give it a try. Enjoy!

Last edited:

mj2v

I believe I can make comparative judgments pretty well from pictures.
Sure you can.

just like people make judgements about a ride from a video.

I can tell you from having been to the riviera that it is much nicer than I had hoped. I was not overly excited about it until I got to see it in person.

I had the same experience at Destino. I had no expectations for being highly impressed.

ryguy

Gran Destino and addition of the new restaurant in the lake are a home run. Convention goers should be very happy about these additions.

If I had a magic wand I would now eliminate the Contemporary convention center and make a third tower to even it out. And while they are at it redo that pool area because that one stinks too. But looking at the Riviera pool I have little faith in their ability to do that successfully. Unless of course you think a Disney pool should be "adequate" Disney pool designers are experts at that.

Incomudro

Sure you can.

just like people make judgements about a ride from a video.

I can tell you from having been to the riviera that it is much nicer than I had hoped. I was not overly excited about it until I got to see it in person.

I had the same experience at Destino. I had no expectations for being highly impressed.

It's quite a bit easier to judge pools fairly by images on a comparative level, than it is to judge a ride which is an experience.
We can look at pools and judge size, theming, landscaping, water slides...

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
New Disney view. Stationary gondola from the Riviera in the rain
2C8C0B70-0841-4374-A077-99D3A19580D6.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom