Disney revoking AP's if you resell merch

flynnibus

Premium Member
That's a pretty naive position to take.

Disney knew damn well that stories of "Big evil Disney took away my AP!!" were a slam dunk to be picked up by the big regional media outlets. They know anytime they mess with their AP base they are ready for the blowback. There is zero chance they started hard PULLING people's APs (in a land they don't even take APs from people misbehaving in the park...) without some oversight.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The sad thing with this is... such actions won't even impact the bigger places. They already use mules to buy items that are quantity limited. This kind of scan and ban activity only impacts the small players, not the bigger flippers. People just have to abstract their selling profile better from their personal profile.

So all this does is 'send a message' without actually impacting the real meat of the market you are trying to shutdown. It's saber rattling.

I'm happy Disney is trying to discourage this 'side business' crap... I just don't think it's very effective.

I'm against any resale business that has negative impacts on normal market distribution. You want to advocate you 'help people' - ok, buy like a normal person would and volunteer your ration to your cause... not disrupt distribution by creating artifical scarcity through overbuying and changing shopping dynamics.

It's the same crap as people buying the latest consoles online to flip, etc... "Im providing a service" - you're also screwing your neighbor.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Disney isn't able to block their ability to resell... but they are able to exercise their ability to limit the granting of a discount... through the AP. You don't abide by the T&C - they can revoke the discount (and admission) privilege.

Regan said that early in the morning he’d seen people with numerous collectible popcorn buckets that had just been released “running to their cars so they could get back and post them on eBay.”

What's the AP discount on popcorn buckets these days?

Just put your magic band in an RFID pouch, pay cash for your 32 popcorn buckets, and don't use the same email address for MDE that you use for your ebay account. Problem solved.

Seriously though, there's no magic here. Disney is buying some of these things off of ebay and linking the PayPal email address to user's MDE accounts.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Regan said that early in the morning he’d seen people with numerous collectible popcorn buckets that had just been released “running to their cars so they could get back and post them on eBay.”

Up to 15%

You're insinuating he is busted for selling those, without really knowing what products he was busted for... because you're trusting an isolated statement purely in a news piece. That's pretty shakey ground counselor.. I wouldn't recommend you back that horse.

Its like the folks that whine "but I didn't do anything wrong" - of course you think that sweetie... doesn't make it accurate.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Just put your magic band in an RFID pouch, pay cash for your 32 popcorn buckets, and don't use the same email address for MDE that you use for your ebay account. Problem solved.

Seriously though, there's no magic here. Disney is buying some of these things off of ebay and linking the PayPal email address to user's MDE accounts.

Objection, assumes facts not based in evidence.

DLR doesn't use MBs or MDE or RFID for APs.

You're making assumptions without actually knowing how the DLR AP system works or how these AP Holders are actually using their AP discounts to get the merchandise.

StarWarsGirl

As part of my job, I spend a good chunk of my day reading the terms and conditions for various pieces of software. You know how most people just agree to the terms and conditions when they install software? Yeah, I can't do that. For the most part, you don't need to unless you're using software for commercial purposes or you're thinking of rewriting the code, but if you're just downloading it and using it? Whatever. Anyway, now that I've gone off on a tangent...

It took me precisely two minutes to find this in the agreement:
1544581315937.png

That means that you cannot resell the merchandise. But why, you ask? Because you agreed to it when you purchased the pass. You entered a contractual agreement with Disney when you purchased your pass. Violate the agreement, and yes, Disney will exercise this part of the agreement:
1544581632005.png

Very, very simple. And if you tried to bring it to court, guess what? Disney would say, "Here's what you agreed to when you purchased the pass." A judge would say, "Oh yes, you're right, case dismissed."

Basically, anytime you are doing anything commercial (reselling, etc.) Read the fine print!

StarWarsGirl

I'm curious on how enforcement is working here. I've never had an AP on either coast so forgive my ignorance. At DL do they scan your AP every time you get your discount, or are they simply finding people selling online and matching them up with someone on the AP rolls. My impression was that WDW APs are not scanned for discounts.
At WDW, you just show your ID and you get the discount. Sometimes if I'm buying a soda, CMs don't even make me show my AP for my 60 cent discount, just the AP itself.

At DL, they scan your AP for the discount.

I would think (now I have no evidence to back this up) that there's less of an issue at WDW with this simply because the vast majority of AP holders are not locals. There's a lot of out-of-staters, like myself, who come multiple times in a year. Now in DL, a lot more locals = a lot more abuse of the system.

I kind of wish WDW could just scan your MB to determine if you're an AP holder; I hate fishing in my purse for my AP and ID. And yes, I am extremely lazy and spoiled by MBs.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Objection, assumes facts not based in evidence.

DLR doesn't use MBs or MDE or RFID for APs.

You're making assumptions without actually knowing how the DLR AP system works or how these AP Holders are actually using their AP discounts to get the merchandise.

Slow down and you might not trip and miss the implied sarcasm that ended with "Seriously though".

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Up to 15%

You're insinuating he is busted for selling those, without really knowing what products he was busted for... because you're trusting an isolated statement purely in a news piece. That's pretty shakey ground counselor.. I wouldn't recommend you back that horse.

Its like the folks that whine "but I didn't do anything wrong" - of course you think that sweetie... doesn't make it accurate.

32 popcorn buckets purchased by card holder Stormy Weathers, sold on Ebay by Stormy Weathers...this stuff isn't rocket science.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Slow down and you might not trip and miss the implied sarcasm that ended with "Seriously though".

Seriously though, you present facts that aren't even relevant to this situation. No AP Holder in the DLR is using a MagicBand, MDE, or an RFID to get their discount.

32 popcorn buckets purchased by card holder Stormy Weathers, sold on Ebay by Stormy Weathers...this stuff isn't rocket science.

Yes its not rocket science, Stormy Weathers wants to sell online then Stormy Weathers can buy the item at full price without using the AP to get the AP discount.

And if its an AP Exclusive item, well too bad then Stormy Weathers can just sell some other item online.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Tell me again what this has to do at all with my text you quoted?

Disney isn't able to block their ability to resell... but they are able to exercise their ability to limit the granting of a discount... through the AP. You don't abide by the T&C - they can revoke the discount (and admission) privilege.

You've just started to flail around instead of stick to the points raised.

As I said before, the big guys already use mules... and sellers just need to better obfuscate their seller identities vs their personal identities.

Nick Pappagiorgio

At WDW, you just show your ID and you get the discount. Sometimes if I'm buying a soda, CMs don't even make me show my AP for my 60 cent discount, just the AP itself.

At DL, they scan your AP for the discount.

I would think (now I have no evidence to back this up) that there's less of an issue at WDW with this simply because the vast majority of AP holders are not locals. There's a lot of out-of-staters, like myself, who come multiple times in a year. Now in DL, a lot more locals = a lot more abuse of the system.

I kind of wish WDW could just scan your MB to determine if you're an AP holder; I hate fishing in my purse for my AP and ID. And yes, I am extremely lazy and spoiled by MBs.

That makes sense, so I suppose in Florida it is much harder to enforce. A while ago I noticed there were several Florida based seller who walked around World of Disney and some of the other stores photographing items and putting them up on eBay despite probably not having the item in hand. Like this one: https://www.m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?sid=wesellthemagic&isRefine=true&_pgn=1

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Up to 15%

Disney can say it's wrong, but that doesn't make it wrong. It's just wrong in Disney's opinion. Again, portions of (or all of) terms and conditions are thrown out all the time when challenged

Seriously though, you present facts that aren't even relevant to this situation. No AP Holder in the DLR is using a MagicBand, MDE, or an RFID to get their discount.

Yes its not rocket science, Stormy Weathers wants to sell online then Stormy Weathers can buy the item at full price without using the AP to get the AP discount.

And if its an AP Exclusive item, well too bad then Stormy Weathers can just sell some other item online.

I was attempting to sarcastically portray the situation from the same misinformed perspective that you guys are. You don't have a clue how these people operated or got caught. You don't know that a discount was ever used, you are speculating.

Lol I was thinking the same thing. Sarcasm or not, MagicBands, MDE, RFID, etc. don’t make sense as examples for the situation.

Nothing anyone in this thread has made sense, it's all speculation.

Tell me again what this has to do at all with my text you quoted?

You've just started to flail around instead of stick to the points raised.

As I said before, the big guys already use mules... and sellers just need to better obfuscate their seller identities vs their personal identities.

Sellers will find a way, Disney won't even slow them down.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Disney can say it's wrong, but that doesn't make it wrong. It's just wrong in Disney's opinion. Again, portions of (or all of) terms and conditions are thrown out all the time when challenged

I was attempting to sarcastically portray the situation from the same misinformed perspective that you guys are. You don't have a clue how these people operated or got caught. You don't know that a discount was ever used, you are speculating.

Nothing anyone in this thread has made sense, it's all speculation.

Sellers will find a way, Disney won't even slow them down.

All I’ll say is you seem pretty sure of yourself for someone that is also speculating. Isn’t it even the slightest bit possible that you could be completely wrong?

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
😑

I’ve seen plenty of posts that make sense, excluding your sarcastic post that was clearly referring to WDW and not the DLR.

It certainly was, a few pages ago @Disney Irish Bruh corrected me when I mistakenly said WDW so I played on that.

All I’ll say is you seem pretty sure of yourself for someone that is also speculating. Isn’t it even the slightest bit possible that you could be completely wrong?

We're all speculating, I'm not sure of anything. Look back to my first comment and follow along from there as I paw at the mouse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom