Disney revoking AP's if you resell merch

Ismael Flores

I'm ok with this. It shouldn't be difficult to see who the flippers and resellers are. Does Disney scan the passes during the purchases? I am sure they do, all they have to do is have the system keep track of multiple of the same item bought and then reviewed to see if it could be a possibility of it being used for business/profit

Last edited:

DisneyDreamer08

I saw a FB page awhile back about someone who did a subscription type service. Her and husband would go in to the parks (I feel like this was in Disney World) with big double strollers but no kids. They would load up on goodies, from packaged snacks to shirts to toys etc. They’d post pictures of their strollers overflowing with bags. On their website, you picked a monthly fee and a theme and you received a box each month with random items. I remember thinking, wow I’d love that job :joyfull: Makes sense though on Disney’s part. I’m sure they made quite the profit.

Darkbeer1

I'm ok with this. It shouldn't be dificult to see who the flippers and resellers are. Does Disney scan the passes during the purhcases? I am sure they do so all they have to do is have the system keep track of multiple of the same item bought and then reviewed to see if it could be a possibility of it being used for business/profit
I know both Cedar Fair and Six Flags have that detailed info in its apps. In fact Six Flags in its Membership program has a frequent visitor program where people are awarded gifts and front of the line passes for getting points.

And of course Disney has a similar data base.

mickEblu

What I don’t understand is why they don’t make everything that’s available at the park available on the shop Disney Parks app? A lot of the collectible stuff is always available “in store only.” Then they could have each item be limited to 1-2 quantity max for each AP. Of course, non APs could still find ways to get as many as they want but would it matter if Disney is getting paid full price?

Is this maybe about Disney thinking they could convert some of these people that hire personal shoppers into guests or APs if less flippers or personal shoppers were around? Or is this about the effect that flippers may have on phased roll outs of certain items? If Disney is trying to create a demand and the Flippers / APs are buying everything at a discounted price then Disney is losing a little bit of potential profit in the long run. I just can’t imagine it’s a whole lot.

What I do know is they re not revoking people’s passes because they care about fans/ guests not getting a particular item.

Darkbeer1

What I don’t understand is why they don’t make everything that’s available at the park available on the shop Disney Parks app? A lot of the collectible stuff is always available “in store only.” Then they could have each item be limited to 1-2 quantity max for each AP. Of course, non APs could still find ways to get as many as they want but would it matter if Disney is getting paid full price?

Is this maybe about Disney thinking they could convert some of these people that hire personal shoppers into guests or APs if less flippers or personal shoppers were around? Or is this about the effect that flippers may have on phased roll outs of certain items? If Disney is trying to create a demand and the Flippers / APs are buying everything at a discounted price then Disney is losing a little bit of potential profit in the long run. I just can’t imagine it’s a whole lot.

What I do know is they re not revoking people’s passes because they care about fans/ guests not getting a particular item.

Let me state MY opinion, with no inside info.

It is an image thing. When AP's stand in line and then get turned away, well you have unhappy folks.

Not sure why they just don't limit the amount pet AP. Computers can be programmed to track the sales, and turn down a sale if the barcode has already been used for the item.

Simple, easy and let's the most AP holders get the limited items.

mickEblu

Let me state MY opinion, with no inside info.

It is an image thing. When AP's stand in line and then get turned away, well you have unhappy folks.

Not sure why they just don't limit the amount pet AP. Computers can be programmed to track the sales, and turn down a sale if the barcode has already been used for the item.

Simple, easy and let's the most AP holders get the limited items.

I don’t think this is it. If this was the case they wouldn’t be releasing extremely limited quantities of a particular item but allowing folks to buy 10 each.

Last edited:

SukaVayne33

I think they should monitor it and if you are an AP, have it revoked. Some people go in and get the limited stuff then sell for higher prices. They sometimes are probably making a big profit and do it over and over. Which other AP's are following the rules. I think it was some months back someone posted on FB & Insta, some ladies had more than the limit 2 amount. Then probably selling them for higher prices because it was an exclusive to WDW, DLR. It's like the days of Xmas shopping for the Cabbage Patch Dolls, & the Beanie Babies. They were limited or exclusive and people buying more than stores allowed but only to sell them in newspaper ads for high $$ amounts.(Although when the Cabbage Patch mess I was like 10). So IMHO, they should take them away, if they notice it is the same AP's over and over.

Darkbeer1

Totally different. The people that are buying a bunch of one item are depriving other guests of their ability to purchase the merch straight from Disney. If someone posts pics of the parks on a website that has ad revenue, they are supporting themselves in a way that doesn't affect other people in a negative way.

The park prohibits professional photographers. The press must get permission and are restricted as to what they can photograph. It is why so many news station use the Anaheim Hotel to report things.

And I speak from first hand experience.

Disney has that right, and uses it on a regular basis, same with folks that offer tour guide services.

I know of folks that have been banned for doing so.

Ever wonder why the Unofficial Guides don't use photos?

Darkbeer1

I won't post the entire article, but here are some key paragraphs.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/12/...asses-of-guests-who-buy-and-resell-souvenirs/

>>Lately, observers say that Disney appears to have aggressively targeted these resellers, cancelling their annual passes under a provision in the passholder contract that bans people from using their discounts and then reselling items they purchased inside the parks.<<

>>Even though her pass has been canceled, Cudnohufsky said she is still obligated to pay Disney monthly until May.

“They’re not stopping the payments,” Cudnohufsky said. “I still have to make my payments or they will send me to collection. It’s about $71 a month.”

Disney responded to requests for comment with a written statement that “Park Rules and Annual Pass Terms and Conditions are in place to help protect the experience for all of our Guests.”<<

>>Everyone interviewed for this story agrees that this violates the annual passholder agreement, which states that “benefits and discounts are for personal use only and may not be used for any commercial purpose including, without limitation, to obtain or purchase items or services with the intent to resell such items or services.”<<

>>People reading Disneyland fan Facebook pages on Friday seemed overwhelmingly enthusiastic Friday about the prospect of fewer resellers in the park.

Many pass holders feel frustrated they can’t buy limited-edition merchandise because the resellers have already bought it all up.

“I don’t think they should be banned, but they should only be allowed to buy one (item) per family,” said passholder Rori Gelfand of Irvine.

Others were more blunt.

“Good riddance, they should’ve done that years ago,” one fan wrote on the Disneylanders Facebook fan page. Another cheered that “finally” she might be able to buy merchandise she was seeking.<<

Let me add Disney's policies in regards to Annual Passes that get terminated for whatever reason. They take the price paid, and will substract the daily ticket price for each day used to enter the park(s) plus parking if applicable. If there is any amount remaining, say only two days used, you would get a refund for the difference. So for the vast majority, the amount is zero. And if you signed up for monthly payments, you signed a contract, so you are out of luck.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Violate the T's&C's and you don't have a leg to stand on.

Now if they'd just crack down on the line jumpers...

images(32).jpg

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
If I pay for an annual pass that has the benefit of a discount, what I do with the merchandise I purchase with that pass is my business. Disney has the right of first sale, it isn't legal to dictate resale terms. First-sale doctrine 17 U.S.C. § 109.

I don't buy and resell merch, but I kind of want to see this play out in court.
Can't see it going that far. I would think Disney has a good idea of what is legal before doing this.

westie

I guess I've lost out soo many times that I don't care. Like the PotC 50th shirts that sold out in 15 minutes. I went from gate drop to the shop and they were gone. I was an angry pirate aarrgghhh!

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Can't see it going that far. I would think Disney has a good idea of what is legal before doing this.

Business pro-tip, it's only illegal if they get caught. They're making the same bet you are, they can't see it going that far. Take enough people's ability to go to a park away while they still have to pay for it and watch the legal fireworks.

I'll bring the popcorn. :joyfull:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom