Disney returns to 2D Animation.

prberk

Pongo said:
But if you'll notice, Disney musicals kind of hit their peak, and then started to fizzle out, like in the case of Pocahontas, Mulan, and Tarzan.

I'm not sure how a Disney animated musical would fare in today's market. It could have the potential to be really successful, but overall, I think the super-popular Disney musical era has come and gone.

IMO

That's what they said in the '70s and '80s...

Then someone decided to start making them again and doing it RIGHT.

A great film is a great film, and creates great expectations. Sometimes, though, it also generates copycat pressures that ultimately ruin those expectations.

They just need to do it right (as in wonderful, timeless stories, with first-rate, timeless music).

Paul

imagineer99

We need a good Disney musical...

Considering the literal swarm of CGI movies hitting the market from now until the end of the year, a quality 2D Disney Musical would really stand out from the pack of Shrek and Nemo wannabes. In fact, all these CGI movies coming out look so similiar (in both visual style and storyline), it's becoming difficult to tell the difference.

Here's to a traditional animation renaissance!

WRE4ever

Mufasa's Pride said:
True, so far more than Cars (which in my opinion is one of the best Pixar movies). On the other hand, IMO I was severely dissapointed with Chicken Little.

I don't know last I checked ( yesterday) it has grossed 230 mill in the usa...but i dont know how it has done world wide

imagineer99 said:
We need a good Disney musical...

Considering the literal swarm of CGI movies hitting the market from now until the end of the year, a quality 2D Disney Musical would really stand out from the pack of Shrek and Nemo wannabes. In fact, all these CGI movies coming out look so similiar (in both visual style and storyline), it's becoming difficult to tell the difference.

Here's to a tradition animation renaissance!

I agree. CGI will never be able to match the flexibility of style that true hand-drawn animation can. I mean, all of the Disney*Pixar movies look and feel the same way. And, in all honesty, the Disney*Pixar pack looks no different than the other CGI studio releases in terms of style.

But, one wouldn't dare say the same about the slate of Disney Feature Animation releases. Compare Snow White to Sleeping Beauty. Mulan to Lilo & Stitch.

kennygman

They just have to remember their own mantra, "It's all about the story"
Sometimes they rush to get something out and it isn't a very good story.

erasure fan1

I was very happy to read this, I saw it in a news story from comic con. I just hope that it does well, if it doesnt, I feel that could be the last we see of 2d for a fair bit of time. I think the success of this will be on the story, if its not a good story we have a big time flop on our hands and a bunch of suits saying "see no one wants traditional animation." and that would stink.

I think the musicals are like fads....they do really well for a while, but eventually everyone gets tired of them and they dissapear. They eventually pop back up and then will dissapear again later on.

I'm not too concerned on whether it's going to be a musical or not...I'm just happy that they've decided to once again do traditional animation. I think there are way too many 3D movies on the market right now and by the time this gets released people should be pretty overwhelmed with the 3D options going to theatre.

The only 3D film I'm even interested in is Rapunzel. The shots and tests I've seen look beautiful and I really think this is a film that could catapult Disney. I haven't been too keen on the "Meet the Robinsons" stuff that's been released and I'm still undecided about "American Dog" because it's been kept very hush-hush and it's difficult to locate pictures or video on it at all.

It'll be nice to have Ron, John and Eric back at Disney tho.

mhead

uglybug2005 said:
Clements and Musker also brought us Treasure Planet. It will not matter what the style of animation is if the story stinks. Here's hoping it turns out well no matter what tools are used.

I really liked Treasure Planet. I think it got a bum rap.

Original19

What about the rumor that John Lasseter will bring Animated Shorts back to Disney movies? I read a while back that he got the green light to do two. Any substance to that?

hammysammy59

I think we need a CGI movie that's as epic and beautiful as Beauty and the Beast, Snow White, Lion King, etc. before it feels like CGI animation can stand up the way hand-drawn animation has.

Regardless, I'm happy to see Disney hasn't turned it's back on it's roots.

Mufasa's Pride

I'd love to see a Pixar 3-D musical....to go along with there great stories (I know Pixar movies like Cars have music in them, but I mean like Lion King, Little Mermaid , and Aladin music)

kcnole

I really don't think it matters whether they use CGI or hand drawn animation, I don't think it really matters if it's a musical or not. It's all about the story and the depth of the characters.

The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, etc... all had wonderful characters that you grew to adore, then they had compelling stories, a beautiful score that moved you, and great artwork as well. We've seen that both from old disney animation and Pixar's movies. If the story is good, the movie will do well.

Hunchback, Tarzan, and Pocahontas all fell short of expectations because they didn't meet the whole formula. I tried to watch them and it wasn't the musical format that made them boring to me, it was the whole package. The characters were thin, the story bored me, and in a few cases the music just felt uninspired.

If Lasseter could get behind the traditional animation and breathe a wonderful story, compelling characters, and a beautiful story into it, then a traditional animated film could do just as well as anything else out there.

Mufasa's Pride

kcnole said:
I really don't think it matters whether they use CGI or hand drawn animation, I don't think it really matters if it's a musical or not. It's all about the story and the depth of the characters.

The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, etc... all had wonderful characters that you grew to adore, then they had compelling stories, a beautiful score that moved you, and great artwork as well. We've seen that both from old disney animation and Pixar's movies. If the story is good, the movie will do well.

Hunchback, Tarzan, and Pocahontas all fell short of expectations because they didn't meet the whole formula. I tried to watch them and it wasn't the musical format that made them boring to me, it was the whole package. The characters were thin, the story bored me, and in a few cases the music just felt uninspired.

If Lasseter could get behind the traditional animation and breathe a wonderful story, compelling characters, and a beautiful story into it, then a traditional animated film could do just as well as anything else out there.

Amen!

Mufasa's Pride

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Frog_Princess

Fom Wiki:

"The king sets his sons, or an old peasant woman, her sons, to marry, and tests their chosen brides. The king may set them to shoot arrows and find their brides where the arrows land, and the youngest prince's arrow is picked up by a frog; the two older sons may already have girls picked out, but the youngest son be at a loss until a friendly frog takes pity on him and offers to marry him.

The king then assigns his three prospective daughters-in-law various tasks, such as spinning cloth and baking bread. In every task the frog far outdoes the lazy brides-to-be of the older brothers. Still, the young prince is ashamed of his froggy bride, until she magically is transformed into a princess. In some versions of the story, the transformation is a reward for her good nature; in others, she is transformed by witches out of amusement; and in others, she is revealed to have been an enchanted princess all along."

This story is based on Slavic (Russian) Mythology. This would only be the 2nd Disney movie to be directly based on mythology with Hercules being the 1st, right?

I know story artists and scriptwriters delete and add to the origional inspiration for the movie as needed, but do you think the idea has the makings of a great story?

dopey

Mufasa's Pride said:
I know story artists and scriptwriters delete and add to the origional inspiration for the movie as needed, but do you think the idea has the makings of a great story?

A frog story could have legs.

imagineer boy

I'm really happy about this. I think Disney was really on a role when they used the innovative technique blend of CGI and animation which was beautiful in Brother Bear and Tarzan. Now they can improve and expand on this technique along with a good story and characters.

And I agree, it would be great to have a fantastic quality traditional Disney animated movie in the midst of all of these bad quality CGI movies coming out from many studios. They do indeed all look like they're trying to rip off Shrek and Nemo.

Lewis Carroll

Account Suspended
I think they should greenlight the 2D fairy tale movies that Eisner shut down because just reading about them I could tell they would have been huge hits at the box office. Im talking about The Snow Queen (which at one point, Eisner asked John Lasseter to direct), Don Quixote, and rapunzel (UNunbraided). Rumplestiltskin would be cool too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom