Disney Reservation System Plans Outage

minorthr

I was able to retrieve all of my dining reservations today except for 2...I even tried to pull them up by using the confirmations # & they weren't there. :(
I attempted to call the WDW reservation #, but there was a 25 minute wait...maybe I'll try back a little later.

I was able to pull all but 3, also would not come up by confirmation. I did call last night and oddly enough the three I had them check and they said are confirmed are the three that are missing, but I remembered all the dates and times for those.

NYwdwfan

I could only see 3 of my 7 ADRs so I called to confirm the rest - I'm at work so what else do I have to do :rolleyes: - and got to listen to the HM music while on hold (score!!). The agent told me they were still working on the upgrade and offered to confirm my info over the phone so I asked if that's all the agents have been doing today and she just laughed. She said system would be intermittant over the next few days but that everything is still there.

ThinkTink721

I finally got through on the phone line & they confirmed that the 2 reservations that are not showing up on the website list are actually there!...Whew! :D :wave:

disneydata

Everything is still there. The software to access everything is what's being upgraded. The master database o' stuff is not being touched.

askmike1

Guys, you have to be patient in this. This was the biggest software upgrade that has ever been done at WDW. First off, the scheduled/announced downtime was always an estimate. It was a mark of when the core of the upgrade would be complete (ie, basic functionality). Bugs of course needed to be fixed, and I honestly wouldn't expect the system to be up to 99% functionality until late next week after the next set of upgrades.

I know when a lot of people think of installing new software, they think of popping in a CD or running an exe file. That's not how it works though. This is a very complex project with very numerous interdependencies.

More importantly though, if you know about an outage, either make your reservations in advance or be prepared to wait for the dust to settle. Whenever something like this occurs, a huge traffic overload happens, and this doesn't have to do with software. Imagine walking down Main Street after the fireworks... it is really crowded, but you eventually make it to the end. Sometimes it goes slower, sometimes faster (depending on the season). Now imagine it is the fourth of July (and the park was closed the day before) and standing at the entrance of the park is Justin Beiber, Obama and Oprah. Main Street is still the same size, but now there is many more people trying to go down it in a much more disorderly fashion. That is basically what happened in the days after the upgrade.... doesn't matter how many people with wands are there.... nothing is going to help if more people are trying to go down a street that is the same size.

And by the way, if your reservation isn't for weeks or months.... just chill. When in doubt, forget about the web... just call the number 407-WDW-DINE and the Cast Member will retrieve the reservation for you (it might take a while, but...). Again, this is like a reverse hurricane effect. You know... it might be announced days or weeks before... but the day before it hits everyone goes to the store to get water and supplies. They had all week, but they decide to go then. People here feel the need to go on right when the system returns.... unless the reservations are that time-sensitive, just wait. :)

Anywho, there are a couple of more scheduled downtimes over the rest of this year, but none of them should be nearly as big as the first. Summary of my story I guess: Be patient and plan well

Tom

Beta Return
Guys, you have to be patient in this. This was the biggest software upgrade that has ever been done at WDW. First off, the scheduled/announced downtime was always an estimate. It was a mark of when the core of the upgrade would be complete (ie, basic functionality). Bugs of course needed to be fixed, and I honestly wouldn't expect the system to be up to 99% functionality until late next week after the next set of upgrades.

I know when a lot of people think of installing new software, they think of popping in a CD or running an exe file. That's not how it works though. This is a very complex project with very numerous interdependencies.

More importantly though, if you know about an outage, either make your reservations in advance or be prepared to wait for the dust to settle. Whenever something like this occurs, a huge traffic overload happens, and this doesn't have to do with software. Imagine walking down Main Street after the fireworks... it is really crowded, but you eventually make it to the end. Sometimes it goes slower, sometimes faster (depending on the season). Now imagine it is the fourth of July (and the park was closed the day before) and standing at the entrance of the park is Justin Beiber, Obama and Oprah. Main Street is still the same size, but now there is many more people trying to go down it in a much more disorderly fashion. That is basically what happened in the days after the upgrade.... doesn't matter how many people with wands are there.... nothing is going to help if more people are trying to go down a street that is the same size.

And by the way, if your reservation isn't for weeks or months.... just chill. When in doubt, forget about the web... just call the number 407-WDW-DINE and the Cast Member will retrieve the reservation for you (it might take a while, but...). Again, this is like a reverse hurricane effect. You know... it might be announced days or weeks before... but the day before it hits everyone goes to the store to get water and supplies. They had all week, but they decide to go then. People here feel the need to go on right when the system returns.... unless the reservations are that time-sensitive, just wait. :)

Anywho, there are a couple of more scheduled downtimes over the rest of this year, but none of them should be nearly as big as the first. Summary of my story I guess: Be patient and plan well

Good explanation, except that I wouldn't be one of the people in line on July 4 if the guests of honor were those listed :lol:

As a side note, and in case it hasn't been mentioned yet, the reservation system is going down again at 6:00pm ET on Tuesday, October 19 and will re-open Wednesday morning, October 20.

This will happen again on November 16, and then two other undetermined nights in November and December.

They're saying that the entire system should be operational by the morning of the 20th, so hopefully that means Online Dining will work again as well.

askmike1

As a side note, and in case it hasn't been mentioned yet, the reservation system is going down again at 6:00pm ET on Tuesday, October 19 and will re-open Wednesday morning, October 20.
I stress to everyone though... whether it is ready or not... don't try and do anything Wednesday morning. Either do what you need before Tuesday night, or just wait until Thursday morning.

This will happen again on November 16, and then two other undetermined nights in November and December.
It's already determined. :animwink:

Also, I believe the estimate is early afternoon... so don't be checking at 9am on Wednesday. :)

Tom

Beta Return
I stress to everyone though... whether it is ready or not... don't try and do anything Wednesday morning. Either do what you need before Tuesday night, or just wait until Thursday morning.

It's already determined. :animwink:

Also, I believe the estimate is early afternoon... so don't be checking at 9am on Wednesday. :)

Heh. I'm sure disney knows the dates, but they're not releasing them to the public yet :p

And you're right. I'm sure wednesday will be terrible. Best to just be patient and give the system- and guests and CMs- time to recover.

Tom

Beta Return
DVC Members, and I believe travel agents, have been told of the probable future dates.

According to the Disney Travel Agent I know, they were issued a memo listing Oct 19/20 and Nov 16/17 with "additional nights in November and December."

However, I just logged into our DVC account and it does indeed list October 19/20, November 16/17, Nov 30/Dec 1 and Dec 14/15.

Amused to Death

Should the website be working today (10/16)?

I've got over 60 dining reservations that aren't showing up at all right now:

You currently do not have any dining reservations. Book a dining reservation now.

Even when I try to pull them up by individual reservation numbers:

Sorry, we are unable to retrieve your reservation. Please call the Disney Reservation Center at (407) 939-3463. If you are under 18 years of age, you must have your parent or guardians permission to dial this number.

I called Disney Dining, and the woman I spoke with was able to see all of my reservations, so I was quickly relieved, but she also said she was still on the old system.

Tom

Beta Return

I've got over 60 dining reservations that aren't showing up at all right now:

Even when I try to pull them up by individual reservation numbers:

I called Disney Dining, and the woman I spoke with was able to see all of my reservations, so I was quickly relieved, but she also said she was still on the old system.

You have over 60 dining reservations?!?!? How many trips are you taking this year?

Dining Reservations are all in tact, but not completely accessible via the web. It sounds as if they might be after the 20th.

Best bet right now - call...and sit on hold for a while. But always be nice to the CM, of course :)

askmike1

It should be working, but again, bugs happen with any new system and it will take time to stabilize.

Dining Reservations are all in tact, but not completely accessible via the web. It sounds as if they might be after the 20th.
There is no correlation.

Best bet right now - call...and sit on hold for a while. But always be nice to the CM, of course :)
Yep... and even better... if you are able to wait a while... just wait until the system stabilizes. Your reservations aren't going anywhere. :)

Impressive. Thanks for the info. Are you allowed to give us any other examples of what the upgraded system will allow guests/CMs to do?
Let me speak on behalf of the other person for just a minute.... no. :) And I caution that cast members are not supposed to give out any specific information that is not publicly available (or common sense)... remember those forms you filled out when you got hired.

Bluejay

To be honest, this is the kind of comment that I find ridiculous. Your DECEMBER trip, and you are up in arms about not being able to make the payment RIGHT NOW, IMMEDIATELY? Really?

It is one thing to be curious (like many of us are) about their upgrade, and yet even another if you have a current reservation or need for this week. But I find it obnoxious that you would be disturbed about not being able to make final payment for a December trip right now, when you know that the upgrade is happening and will likely be complete within days.

I hope you were only doing this out of curiosity.

I personally would wait until the system was clearly up and running and stable (especially if am making a real payment). I am sure that it would be OK if it went through, but I see this as a time to wait (especially to prevent double payments or, even worse, money is taken but not properly connected to the reservation if problems occur). Personally, I would like the extra days of interest on my money.

Paul

Wow, I was just sharing my experience. When in my post did I talk about being disturbed, or annoyed or anything like that at all? All I said was what time it was and that I was having a difficult time making a payment. Also, my trip is December 4th, so final payment is due by October 20th. With all of the talk about system issues I wanted to get it taken care of as soon as I had the chance. You REALLY read a lot into what I actually typed.

JCtheparrothead

HMMMM. Just checked on my reservations online for the end of November and about 1/3 of my reservations are in there. Also looked by numbers and not there. Hopefully they will return before i leave. I understand the upgrade and migration process but in my book losing data should not be a part of that. We will see.

Tom

Beta Return
HMMMM. Just checked on my reservations online for the end of November and about 1/3 of my reservations are in there. Also looked by numbers and not there. Hopefully they will return before i leave. I understand the upgrade and migration process but in my book losing data should not be a part of that. We will see.

I guess you didn't read all of this thread before you posted, eh? :p

Data is 100% in tact. If you want to verify dining reservations, it's best just to call. However, it's even better to just know they're OK and to let the CMs deal with the 500,000 other guests who are calling to at them right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom