Disney Reservation System Plans Outage

Tom

Beta Return
So, it seems as if they're finally going to allow a "one-click" sort of system, at least for the CM side of things. A global collaboration between Disney systems, if you will.

Captain Chaos

Even before the outage I was having issues with Disney Online Dining... No matter what browser I use, I cannot seem to be able to select the date or look for a table... I looked into all my settings, reinstalled Flash, deleted my cookies, and still nothing...

mp2bill

I have a friend that would know a bit about this system. It is extremely important this goes through... unless you want their system to still run on a basic DOS or worse, it needs serious upgrades. I cant wait to see the melt downs around these boards. :lol:

I would hate to be the engineer that has to implement the upgrade. I know they have a back up of a backup... but still. One wrong move. Yikes.

lol

Tom

Beta Return
An update on 10/18/2010...

WDW is announcing another outage - implying that the first one is over. It IS NOT - the online dining system is still broken.

While I hate to suggest this... if you hit the online dining system to verify reservations, and can not do so? Check by Reservation number. If this fails? FOLLOW WDW's PUBLISHED ADVICE. This would be:

"Sorry, we are unable to retrieve your reservation. Please call the Disney Reservation Center at (407) 939-3463. If you are under 18 years of age, you must have your parent or guardians permission to dial this number."

Yup - a real load on the system. But it is EXACTLY what WDW is asking you to do - look at their web page. :) Yes, this IS the only way (apparently) to motivate the WDW "Web Service" people to actually update their content to agree with WDW actions. I did so this evening - taking up a good 12 minutes of CM time, apologizing for the published advice at the official web site, then verifying ALL of my reservations.

What did you prove by doing this? All you did was waste 12 minutes of a Cast Member's time, and delayed another guest in making or changing reservations (something that would have actually been important).

It has been made extremely clear in this thread that not an ounce of data was lost during the system upgrade. If you didn't have an immediate need to change an existing reservation or make a new one, there was absolutely no reason for you to call.

They published this system outage as best they could (including listing all of the outage dates well in advance) and have been extremely forward with their voice mail recordings and website notices. Neither your call, nor the calls of anyone else who just wants to call to waste valuable call center time, are going to make the IT department work any faster.

Seriously.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
A very good question. As I said (see post) - FOLLOW WDW's POSTED ADVICE. You mention that the outages have been well reported here - yes, they have....

...but what makes you think that the majority of WDW customers come to this site? I challenge you - go to the official wdw reservations page: (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/reservations/dining/retrieve-reservations/) where is the "outage of the day" posted?

I'm following DISNEY'S published advice - check it for yourself - when the system fails, they say CALL. When DISNEY decides to post new advice? I'll follow it. In the mean time? I'll know my ressies are good, my methods are EXACTLY what WDW says to do, and perhaps I will help to motivate that sad-sack web team into HELPING the company they are supposed to be working for.

Had you forgotten to write your reservation information down?

Tom

Beta Return
A very good question. As I said (see post) - FOLLOW WDW's POSTED ADVICE. You mention that the outages have been well reported here - yes, they have....

...but what makes you think that the majority of WDW customers come to this site? I challenge you - go to the official wdw reservations page where is the "outage of the day" posted?

I'm following DISNEY'S published advice - check it for yourself - when the system fails, they say CALL. When DISNEY decides to post new advice? I'll follow it. In the mean time? I'll know my ressies are good, my methods are EXACTLY what WDW says to do, and perhaps I will help to motivate that sad-sack web team into HELPING the company they are supposed to be working for.

Ah, I see now.

You proved that people who know for certain that their reservations are perfectly in tact are able to call and waste the time of CMs and other guests just to "stick it" to the web department.

I imagine they have called in the entire web staff tonight to work 24 hours a day to make this global system upgrade go faster. We all owe you a debt of gratitude.

Touche.

askmike1

I challenge you - go to the official wdw reservations page: (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/reservations/dining/retrieve-reservations/) where is the "outage of the day" posted?
There is an outage announcement located on the Book your Vacation page.

Outage Notification: Please be advised that we will be updating our systems to serve you better. If you are considering making a reservation in the near future, we kindly ask that you please make that reservation prior to 5 p.m. ET - October 19, 2010. During this enhancement, beginning on October 19, 2010 at 5 p.m. ET, online bookings and bookings through the Disney Reservation Center will be unavailable. We do expect to return to full functionality by the morning of October 20, 2010 and apologize in advance for any inconvenience. Please note that these dates and times are subject to change

There is none on the dining page, but let's be honest... dining reservations aren't nearly as big as vacation rentals (in terms of needing to know in advance). In addition, the bulk of the outage occurs overnight when the reservation center is closed. If they try and make it online, they'll get a notice at that time telling them about the outage. If they get an error now (or after the next outage) telling them to call the number, they can do that to retrieve their reservations. Not to mention that if you already made a reservation online, you have the entire confirmation message in an email sent to you.

Furthermore, there is no "outage of the day"... the outage is done and there won't be another one until tomorrow night (which is significantly smaller and different than the last). There will be bugs which will cause the various systems to be on and off until the bugs are settled.

I'm following DISNEY'S published advice - check it for yourself - when the system fails, they say CALL. When DISNEY decides to post new advice? I'll follow it.
Oh boy... so I see Disney told you to do something, and therefore you did it. You know, there is a difference between being smart... and being a smart-alec (or something else I won't say). A bit of common sense is in need here. If you need to find your reservation right away, you call the reservation center and they will help you. If you are just doing this to be a smart-alec and waste both the cast member's time and a guest's time who actually needs to make that call.... that is just wrong and without any form of common sense.

perhaps I will help to motivate that sad-sack web team into HELPING the company they are supposed to be working for.
Wow.... you obviously have absolutely no clue of what is going on behind the scenes right now. :brick:

askmike1

Can I also just say that I love how the various IT groups are being referred to as "web service people", the "web team", the "web department" and "web staff."
:ROFLOL::lol:

Tom

Beta Return
Can I also just say that I love how the various IT groups are being referred to as "web service people", the "web team", the "web department" and "web staff."
:ROFLOL::lol:

For the record, when I used the term "web" I was mocking. I, personally, completely understand the major difference between the many isolated divisions of the IT world. ;)

And also for the record, based on the extremely limited information I have on what's been taking place, kudos to you (and everyone involved) for what appears to be a successful upgrade (phase). The fact that the bulk of the system was completely operational when Disney said it would be is amazing (and unique).

disneydata

FYI -

The IT team doesn't care at this point if the online dining system isn't working. They don't even care if the dining system itself isn't funny operational (I wouldn't totally say that, they're just REALLY low on their priority list). There are bigger fish to fry at this point until after the last upgrade like the thousands of reservations that are checking in over the next few weeks. Also the thousands of dollars in deposits that need to download to said reservations in the old and new systems and making sure everything integrates properly.

Once the systems have been upgraded and the kinks worked out, they will start to look at the dining system in general (there are problems with it after the first upgrade). THEN they will work on getting back full online fuctionality. Don't expect it to come back fully anytime soon.

Tom

Beta Return
But I still urge you to help out your phone staff and Marketing folks by tossing in a few simple "our system is currently undergoing maintenance" messages on WDW's Web.

Honestly, I think the Dining Reservations site is the only place Disney forgot to put up the "outage" message. It's definitely plastered anywhere else you try to make or modify reservations online.

For all we know, they may have actually programmed their Content Management System to display a notice on the dining pages during the "scheduled" outage, and had it stop displaying automatically when the system SHOULD have been back up.

I don't give the Online Dining Reservation "department" a lot of credit anyway, at least compared to the rest of Disney web and IT. Even the "new and improved" beta system can't handle some of the simplest tasks. I long for the day when it can actually recognize your Dining Plan and simply place a Credit Card hold for things like Dinner Shows without actually charging your card the full amount.

Tom

Beta Return
This enlightens me in MANY ways... Disney has departmentalized the Dining System? edwardtc - I'm starting to understand the issue... now that the Dining System is Customer Facing - it should be under the control of Disney IT. Dow Chemical's R&D department was on the web long before the rest of the Company - but when the day came that the corporation embraced the Internet? I knew that the right thing to do, for the sake of the ENTIRE Corporation, was to allow corporate IT to own the technology. The current situation with Dining must frustrate you to no end - and I understand why.

You are in the middle of a swamp full of alligators - but when this is over? I STRONGLY urge you to talk to management, and do all that you can to pull the entire WDW Web Presence under the control of your Central IT Division. Around 1998, we had 15 separate Departments controling 15 separate Customer Facing sites with ZERO integration. No - it wasn't working :) Oh - did I mention the rusting IBM mainframes that held all of the pertinent data? The damn things couldn't even run a TCP/IP stack, and were crippled with DB2. Yes - this seems like ancient history... why repeat it? I will tell you - the argument I used for unification at that time still works today: AUTHORITY simply MUST go with RESPONSABILITY - when IT is tagged with acountability, they MUST have the power to execute. And this came from someone outside of Corporate IT.

In the mean time - if you are dealing with a separate department? Consider a phone call... find that Department Manager. Tell him what you are doing, and why it's important to all of Disney to gain his departments help. If this man has any sense of Corporate Responsability, he will help you.

Hey, it could be worse... you could be doing the backend upgrade with a Chlorine Sphere 40 feet away.... :)

...and yeah, now I've said too much. Please don't forward my note to Dow - I really want to keep my Pension (and spend most of it at WDW)....

For the record, I don't work for Disney in any way, shape or form. My post about the Dining website was purely opinion-based, but comes from my frequent interaction with many of their sites. But I have a strong feeling that the "web" people for the different sites are probably sitting in offices in different states. Then there's the backend people who are probably in yet another state. I have no idea if this is true or not - just seems this way based on the lack of cohesion.

I code websites myself, and often find myself browsing their source code...for fun (sad, I know). The coding style is different between the main WDW site and the WDW Dining site. I've often found somewhat unprofessional comments left in the code on the main site (don't see any right now) like <!--This is broken. We'll fix it later--> or <!--IE Sucks-->. I often use IE hacks, but I take the "IE Sucks" part out of my public code :lol:

Interesting to note: they use Adobe's Analytics called SiteCatalyst.

Lastly, you might notice that when you go to the online dining page, it automatically re-directs you to a temporary "Down for Maintenance" page. This makes me think my hypothesis was true about them setting a "timer" for their temporary pages, and letting them go "live" even when the back-end wasn't quite ready to handle dining reservations again. Just one giant lack of communication. You are dead on about the need for more in-house collaboration.

Amused to Death

HMMMM. Just checked on my reservations online for the end of November and about 1/3 of my reservations are in there. Also looked by numbers and not there.

ALL of my Nov 11 - Nov 18 reservations are offline.

As of today, I still can't see any of the 66 dining reservations that I made before they started updating their software, but just now, I was able to make six new reservations for April, and I'm able to pull those up without any problems. Let's hope that adding a few new dining reservations doesn't permanently delete all of the old ones! :lol:

askmike1

The Corporation I worked for for 27 years tended to divide IT according to technical focus. I considered it silly as well - good coders need exposure to everything from Firewall Technology to Network Infrastructure.
Just speaking in general while small companies can do that, it just simply isn't feasible for companies as large as Disney to have a one-job-does-all approach. I definitely agree that in principal, it would be nice if people can have at least some knowledge of all the different areas, but it is most important for them when the divisions are split to have excellent knowledge in their area and some knowledge in the areas they interact with (as opposed to having "good" knowledge everywhere). But yeah, just not feasible with big companies. On the opposite end, Disney is well known for moving people around to different areas, so it is very likely that most people will have had experience in various areas of the company.

My point hasn't been to irritate ANYONE - with a vaction comming up in 15 days, I chose to verify that the data held by Disney still matched my data - and followed your posted process for doing so.
I believe I may have misinterpreted your previous post based on the wording. If you were calling to verify your reservations still existed, that is of course a perfectly reasonable thing to do (if on the other hand you were calling to be a smart alec and just tell them about the problem, my previous post holds :) ).

Just speaking personally, this is what I would recommend people do if their reservations don't show up. If you are already in the resort... just visit your hotel concierge. If your vacation is within the next 2-3 weeks, or you lost your confirmation emails... call the reservation center and ask for your confirmation numbers again (and let the CM know of the website problem). If your vacation isn't for at least a month and you still have your confirmation emails.... just chill. :) Give it time. If you want to be nice and let Disney know of the problem, just use their 'Contact Us' link. Again, just my personal opinion.

Tom

Beta Return
As of today (10-21-1010), the online dining system is still broken - it can't verify or retrieve reservations made before the WDW upgrades started.

WDW CAN retrieve your existing dining reservations... you can not. I know this, having contacted WDW, given them reservation numbers for our Nov11 trip, and had them retrieve these with success. At the same time? I can hit:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/store/retrieveReservation

...enter the SAME res by number, and have the system fail.

As of today - while I hate to say it? It's best to pretend that WDWs online dining system does not exist. When there are two sets of data that disagree, the safest thing to do is what Disney suggests...

CALL. (and if you get the mysterious "Error E02020305003" - that means CALL).

Who to call? Disney Dining - (407) 939-3463: WDW DINE.

I wonder if new ADRs can be made, and then retrieved - or is the entire online version of the dining system down?

I can't imagine the hold times right now. I wonder if they brought in some English-speaking back-ups to help absorb the overflow.

ToTBellHop

(Edit) Experiment run - YES, new reservations are being made, and are being retrieved. I just made one at 17:23 EST on 10-21-2010. Going to cancel this one now (sorry for the traffic WDW - but given a valid question, I had to get the data).... I DID notice one thing: the new res that I made, then canceled, had the format 402xxxxxxxxx. It was made for November 11 - the same date I have for an existing reservation that starts with format 401xxxxxxxxx. ALL of my existing Nov 2010 reservations that WDW has, but can not be retrieved online, have the 401xxxxxxxxx format. This MAY be significant: one of the tricks used when running an upgraded DB that has not yet been synched with an old DB is to "bump" all the new record keys in the new DB up beyond any possible key in the old DB - it eliminates the possibility of a record conflict when the old data is eventually merged in.

I have older reservations (made before the system upgrade) that begin in 402, so this wasn't done during the upgrade.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom