News Disney removing plastic straws and more by mid-2019

21stamps

The other day I went to Cosmic Rays for lunch and as I want to open the door I thought to myself “what is that sound? It almost sounds like the waves of the ocean coming crashing to the shore, how odd” and as I pulled open the door a giant tidal wave of Coca Cola came crashing over top of me, toddlers bobbing up in down in it, frantic parents treading water in the mixture of coke, diet, and sprite, trying to stay a float. People grabbing onto chairs and tables as flotation devices as the sea of fizzy drinks came flooding out into the the Tomorrowland concourse, lemon wedges and ice cubes floating along the top. I yelled to one passer by holding onto a BBQ sauce dispenser for dear life “what’s happened?!” And as he drifted away into the carbonated abyss he yelled back “everyone keeps spilling their drinks because they took away or lidsssssss”

This is what I picture everytime someone says that people are spilling drinks everywhere because no lid/straw. People have survived just fine at zoos/waterparks/concerts/multiple other venues, we will all be fine!
😂😂

This is the most fantastic post in this thread. 👏👏👏👏

dizda

They weren't allowed at AK because of the animals..
Yes, and the broader environmental push (outside WDW) to ban plastic straws is because straws that are not properly disposed harm wildlife (particularly marine wildlife)--the reason for the ban at DAK. Wildlife at WDW is not limited to DAK and its animal exhibits, though. Logically, then, if Disney were really motivated by environmental concerns, it would have extended the ban to all the parks long ago. Instead, it seems Disney is just jumping on a bandwagon to get positive P.R. while saving money.

Last edited:

righttrack

Yes, and the broader environmental push (outside WDW) to ban plastic straws is because straws that are not Propay disposed harm wildlife (particularly marine wildlife)--the reason for the ban at DAK. Wildlife at WDW is not limited to DAK and its animal exhibits, though. Logically, then, if Disney were really motivated by environmental concerns, it would have extended the ban to all the parks long ago. Instead, it seems Disney is just jumping on a bandwagon to get positive P.R. while saving money.

Yeah this. It's pretty standard. It's not necessarily backed by science, but in such a big place with so many drinks, it may be a good thing from a waste management standpoint. When I say it's not backed by science, I'm saying that yes, ecologically, it is a lot of non-degradable waste, but as for harm to the animals, there are a lot worse things that aren't banned that probably should be. The worst offenders are six pack plastic and large bags (like ponchos) for example. Animals and especially sea life can get tangled up in those.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

dizda

I’m still in shock over the amount of people who apparently can’t drink a beverage without a straw.

Had no idea that this was an epidemic plaguing America. We might need more occupational therapists? 🤷‍♀️
First, no one is forcing anyone to use a straw and lid. If you do not want or need them, you can refuse them. In fact, why not forgo the cup as well and just have them squirt the beverage of your choice directly into your mouth?

However, there are people who legitimately need a cup with a lid and straw to drink. It is not all about avoiding a mess. Unfortunately, occupational therapy is not the answer, and mocking them will not change that. The lids and straws do not need to be made from plastic; alternatives exist that could be supplied in place of plastic but the alternatives are more expensive.

Also, before you respond with "people should not rely on Disney to supply straws and lids," it is nice to have one less thing to worry about bringing on your vacation. Hence, my comment about eliminating a convenience for guests. If that is really the case, though, and guests should be expected to look out for themselves, then why not have people bring their own plates, forks, napkins, etc., to eat at Disney's restaurants? Just because people expect any other dining place to supply these items, why should Disney? But I should not give them ideas. The fact that Disney apparently intends to sell re-usable straws should tell you where their actual mind set is.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
The other day I went to Cosmic Rays for lunch and as I want to open the door I thought to myself “what is that sound? It almost sounds like the waves of the ocean coming crashing to the shore, how odd” and as I pulled open the door a giant tidal wave of Coca Cola came crashing over top of me, toddlers bobbing up in down in it, frantic parents treading water in the mixture of coke, diet, and sprite, trying to stay a float. People grabbing onto chairs and tables as flotation devices as the sea of fizzy drinks came flooding out into the the Tomorrowland concourse, lemon wedges and ice cubes floating along the top. I yelled to one passer by holding onto a BBQ sauce dispenser for dear life “what’s happened?!” And as he drifted away into the carbonated abyss he yelled back “everyone keeps spilling their drinks because they took away or lidsssssss”

This is what I picture everytime someone says that people are spilling drinks everywhere because no lid/straw. People have survived just fine at zoos/waterparks/concerts/multiple other venues, we will all be fine!
And what I take from this is that people who drink Minute Maid lemonade are able to cope without straws.

Chi84

Premium Member
So if i read this thread right Disney is evil and money grabbing because it removed straws and lids and bags.
But removing straws and lids and bags does have a positive effect.
But Disney is Evil.
Is it possible that even a good decision if made for the wrong reasons can be a wrong decision?

Lensman

If this were a democracy... here's an Ipsos/Buzzfeed poll on straws:
https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default...s_buzzfeed_news_straw_poll_topline_082418.pdf

It's remarkable how many questions they've asked. And even more so that they didn't ask any questions about businesses eliminating straws, only about businesses making straws "on request" or local governments banning straws. Anyway, there's strong bipartisan support for straws being optional and for biodegradable straws. And there's neither strong support nor strong opposition to local government bans on straws.

LSLS

Is it possible that even a good decision if made for the wrong reasons can be a wrong decision?

I think it's more a good decision was made because it had an added good benefit. Making money is not a wrong reason. If what you are saying is true, then nearly all philanthropic activity would be eliminated in our country. It helps the environment, it helps Disney's bottom line. Accept the good.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Expect to see these in the stores (if they're not there already)...
Disney drink helmets.jpg

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
I think it's more a good decision was made because it had an added good benefit. Making money is not a wrong reason. If what you are saying is true, then nearly all philanthropic activity would be eliminated in our country. It helps the environment, it helps Disney's bottom line. Accept the good.
That was Governor Swann's advice to Elizabeth when she agreed to marry Commodore Norrington in Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl. I thought people would either recognize the line from the movie or just think it was a goofy post and ignore it. :)

Goofyernmost

What amazes me more is that 1114 posts (including mine) on the idea that they will be replacing plastic straws with paper straws. Seriously, it is about freaking straws (sometimes referred to as sissy sippers.) How sad are we?

21stamps

Exactly. No one says “omg soandso is evil for donating to a charity!”

FWIW, some zoos have actually lost money from beverage sales because of their conservation efforts.
Yet they still do it.

21stamps

What amazes me more is that 1114 posts (including mine) on the idea that they will be replacing plastic straws with paper straws. Seriously, it is about freaking straws (sometimes referred to as sissy sippers.) How sad are we?

I personally think this is one of the better subjects to post about, because it actually does make a difference in this world.

Better than constant whining over a restaurant being named after a character, or Frozen being the death of education.

Only issue I have with paper straws is that once the kids get hold of them and they start chewing then it becomes a soggy mess and you need another just to finish the drink. Maybe someone could develop a bottle topper for fountain drink cups so that you can drink them like bottles and not worry about spilling the contents everywhere.

TJJohn12

I haven't jumped in to this convo yet - I'm typically on the "straws and lids need to be available for accessibility, they should be out and not need to be requested to respect personal privacy" end of the debate.

I'm surprised, though, that there's not more discussion of bioplastics or other biodegradable solutions other than paper. If the chief worry is downstream impacts, then a 6-month degrading solution that still operates exactly like the non-degradable solution seems like the way to go (outside of AK, that is). Seems like the ultimate happy medium, and would work for not just straws and lids, but cutlery, cups, champagne flutes at dessert parties, plates, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom