News Disney removing plastic straws and more by mid-2019

Goofyernmost

I personally think this is one of the better subjects to post about, because it actually does make a difference in this world.

Better than constant whining over a restaurant being named after a character, or Frozen being the death of education.
Well, that part is true, but, really it has taken us over 1100 posts to say, yup, they are doing right, or I think the world is going to hell because they switched to paper or who gives a damn. I certainly wouldn't be against them doing that for environmental purposes or the health of critters that roam free, so not being all concerned is fine because the right thing is happening. It just strikes me funny that we can conjure up this much dialog for a decision that has already been made. Pro or con, it doesn't change the reality. Sorry, even though I think it is a good thing, it just cannot, does not, will not fire up a lot of passion in me. It's just paper straws which were all we had until they started making plastic ones. We will all survive. Another one of the good things that can come out of this, we may be able to get a Milk Shake that isn't actually a cup of soft ice cream and you have to break every blood vessel in your mouth trying to suck that stuff up through a straw. Paper will just collapse. Hooray, we get real milk shakes back again.
I haven't jumped in to this convo yet - I'm typically on the "straws and lids need to be available for accessibility, they should be out and not need to be requested to respect personal privacy" end of the debate.
Sorry, where in blue blazes does it state anywhere that this comes under personal privacy. I would ask just so I don't accidentally spill it. In fact, more then once in recent years I've had to ask for a cover and/or straw. No one has ever asked me why I wanted it. It seems like it is an obvious answer, not medically connected at all. (which is what I think you are getting at) Leaving them out in the open where anyone can get them would defeat the entire purpose. If you want it bad enough you just ask. Besides why has everyone jumped to the conclusion that because they are switching over to paper straws that they are also eliminating covers. Why, are they necessarily hand in hand. Small animals can get straws caught in their throats, lids on the other hand would require a much larger orifice to be a problem.

Last edited:
I am so glad they are doing away with the plastic straws!!!! The new paper straws they are using at Animal Kingdom are biodegradable, so they are not harmful to the environment. As for the lids for children. If a child needs a cup with a lid, and it isn't going to be provided, bring a child's cup with a lid - it's reusable, small and shouldn't be an issue to fit in with the other things children need when they go to a park. There really is no sense adding to the waste and destroying our environment any further. We need to look out for our earth and our wildlife. Every little bit helps, and I am glad to know that Disney is aware and doing their part. Getting rid of plastic straws is just a small step, and it not only to reduce the use of plastic, it is for the safety of the animals which share the land with those visiting Disney World. Many of the those areas have deer, rabbits, birds and many other forms of wildlife which can be harmed by careless use of straws, lids, and the plastic rings that hold together six packs of sodas and beer. It's as much an aspect of safety as it is an environmental issue.

Last edited:

Rodan75

So. Most importantly what are they doing for all of those large shareable alcoholic beverages they’ve added with boba balls?

I had assumed the thick paper boba straws. But folks act like they are gone too?

DisneyGigi

So, has anyone gone shopping in the parks lately to find out about the Plastic bag side of this? I had mentioned in a previous post that Disney Stores has started this move only to ask if you'd like a re-usable bag for 99 cents more?
Plastic bags are still at every stand and in every store. Nowhere did anyone ask if we wanted a reusable bag. Lids are gone at most places but straws are still available at all counter services we went to and still handed out at table service. We did not have to ask for one anywhere. The only exception was some of the food and wine booths, which was crazy because how are you going to drink a frozen bevarage without one, other than waiting until it melts. I brought my own anyway though just in case.

Cmdr_Crimson

Plastic bags are still at every stand and in every store. Nowhere did anyone ask if we wanted a reusable bag. Lids are gone at most places but straws are still available at all counter services we went to and still handed out at table service. We did not have to ask for one anywhere. The only exception was some of the food and wine booths, which was crazy because how are you going to drink a frozen bevarage without one, other than waiting until it melts. I brought my own anyway though just in case.
If they do away with the plastic shopping bags, I wonder how they are going to handle resort package delivery.
It says so in the initial post...
"Plans also call for Disney to reduce the number of plastic shopping bags in owned and operated parks and on Disney cruise line, offering guests the option to purchase reusable bags at a nominal price."

jaklgreen

It says so in the initial post...
"Plans also call for Disney to reduce the number of plastic shopping bags in owned and operated parks and on Disney cruise line, offering guests the option to purchase reusable bags at a nominal price."

That does not say how they are going to handle your items if you have them sent to the resort. Are you saying that in order to use this free service, that is supposed to be one of the perks for staying at a WDW hotel, that you will now need to PAY for it by buying a shopping bag?

Cmdr_Crimson

That does not say how they are going to handle your items if you have them sent to the resort. Are you saying that in order to use this free service, that is supposed to be one of the perks for staying at a WDW hotel, that you will now need to PAY for it by buying a shopping bag?
I doubt that would ever happen for that service. But, there are guests who stay off property and can't use it except parcel pickup at Front Gate..

atjimfromdisney

It's a good strategy, one they use a lot already in Europe, sell reusable bags, charge for the plastic bags, and the plastic bags sold are usually made of recycled material of some sort already.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom