News Disney removing plastic straws and more by mid-2019

ThatMouse

On my last visit to Electric Umbrella all straw dispensers were empty except for one. On purpose or bad service?

In my mind it's bad service. For my $4, I want a straw. It can be the paper kind like they use at AK/AKL. I'll just deal with the flimsy lidless cup. It's just irritating when it's half-a$$. Water still comes in plastic bottles, $1 billion spent on this Magic Band wastefulness, but I can't enjoy an occasional $4 fizzy drink with a straw.

Last edited:

mimitchi33

I'm fine drinking without a straw at home, but at restaurants where other people could be drinking from the same cups, even with people washing them? I'm not so sure...
When I don’t feel as bad about paying for a jersey that will only last a few months.. ;)

View attachment 336153

Made from recycled ocean plastics.
I didn't know that about those shirts! I've seen a few people at my college wear them...

21stamps

I'm fine drinking without a straw at home, but at restaurants where other people could be drinking from the same cups, even with people washing them? I'm not so sure...

I didn't know that about those shirts! I've seen a few people at my college wear them...

Adidas did a whole line with it! I think it’s a neat thing to do.

5113802F-0344-4F02-95C5-3DBE6A64CE82.jpeg
05A8A52D-9199-4CA6-8E73-458938A8EF7D.jpeg

C9F91197-ED20-4C1F-828C-6130C74BD880.jpeg

...but this mindset is only unique to Disney, an evil plan, trying to be cheap. ;)

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

I am happy to report that the demise of plastic straws and free plastic shopping bags were greatly exaggerated. I was at the Magic Kingdom a couple of days ago, and straws were freely accessible in the typical guest accessible plastic straw dispensers. Also present was the beautiful, glorious, free plastic shopping bags..

I also notice that the larger plastic shopping bags now have an additional handle instead of the oval holes it the top like the smaller bags have. Very nice.

Alice a

I am happy to report that the demise of plastic straws and free plastic shopping bags were greatly exaggerated. I was at the Magic Kingdom a couple of days ago, and straws were freely accessible in the typical guest accessible plastic straw dispensers. Also present was the beautiful, glorious, free plastic shopping bags..

I also notice that the larger plastic shopping bags now have an additional handle instead of the oval holes it the top like the smaller bags have. Very nice.

The larger bags have had handles for years.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

TeriofTerror

Ok, I really shouldn't laugh because this could have been way worse.

But to get a beat down over a plastic straw??

Evidently St. Petersburgh has banned plastic straws and a csutomer got upset. Unfortunately for this jerk the worker was a former boxer.

https://www.tampabay.com/business/v...ttack-workers-dont-have-many-rights-20190104/

Between this and discussion of the Buzzy thief, I can't get "Cell Block Tango" out of my head.
🎵He had it coming.
He only had himself to blame.🎵

wendyphant

When we were there in May we purchased a hard plastic mickey straw and took it everywhere with us. We had some odd looks when we declined a straw with our drinks but when we worked it out a party of 5 used 25 straws a day on a 14 night holiday 375 straws that cannot be recycled - or a 59c reusable straw we brought home with us as a souveniere

For me it is a no brainer - if they won't recycle them either replace with paper or get rid

aladdin2007

Oh goodie. Because getting rid of those plastic straws will counteract the massive pollution that their Diesel fueled busses and jet engine trams expel, massive electricity carbon footprint used by the monorails and the daily park usage and the pollutants thrown into the air nightly by the numerous fireworks shows.... but at least there are no straws to pollute the oceans that are no where near Walt Disney World.

Its just another way for corporate management to save a buck, yet keep taking away from the guest. No more straws (though some have been changed to a different kind I know), no more lids etc...the lid thing is a real issue when your trying to find a table with a drink in hordes of people, ridiculous. Same with the bags, they ask if you want one like its a crime to take,,,, your either in business or your not.... And its not just Disney of course but certainly prevalent there.

BalooChicago

I thought this was already in effect - when I was there early March it was no straws and no lids. I have a hand tremor and it made getting our food through the crowds incredibly difficult.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom