News Disney removing plastic straws and more by mid-2019

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
If I have to run back out to my car, I'm inconveniencing myself, so I just buy online instead. It's not that I don't care, its not like I'd take the bags then throw them away immediately. ...
All I was pointing out was that Disney Store's bag policy has simply pushed me to buy from their website instead as the alternative, an option which exists anywhere that they'll ship to.
Interesting that they'll probably use more plastic in the air pillows and peanuts surrounding your online purchase than they would in the same number of bags your purchase would have encumbered had you bought in the parks.

LittleBuford

Whereas in the UK it was a bit of a change when the German supermarkets brought it in. We had generally packed straight into bags so the cashier scanned slow enough to allow me to pack my own bags.

They pack your groceries for you here. I have to remind myself when I’m back in the UK not to just stand there looking gormless after my items have been scanned!

LittleBuford

The only thing i want to know out of this thread is why do some of y'all drink tea ?
Do they not have coffee where you are from ?

Because tea is infinitely tastier than coffee. What’s wrong with you Channel Islanders? Has being that close to the continent blinded you to the incomparability of a cuppa? ;)

flynnibus

Premium Member
What i don't understand is how is it any different to mass produce the Disney reusable bag (that Disney stores charge $1.00 for) over mass producing the regular bag. In the end both bags end up in the trash. Perfect example taken from a friend who works at the Disney store. They stated that 90% of returning Guests don't bring back the bag. So i fail to see the green part. I'm also in the Disney stores quite a bit and I personally have never seen anyone bring the bag back. To me it looks like a quick way for Disney to make an extra buck on purchases while proclaiming to be green.

It encourages reduced usage. If you are paying PER bag.. you'll likely use less. So even if a reusable bag is never reused.. it will still trend usage down.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Interesting that they'll probably use more plastic in the air pillows and peanuts surrounding your online purchase than they would in the same number of bags your purchase would have encumbered had you bought in the parks.

I'm pretty sure the couple of times I purchased off of Shop Parks, they wrapped the items in plastic bags and then packed them in the box. So, unless they've changed this (or it just so happened to be something they do for the specific items I purchased), you'd probably still get the plastic bags in addition to the air pillows and peanuts!

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I'm pretty sure the couple of times I purchased off of Shop Parks, they wrapped the items in plastic bags and then packed them in the box. So, unless they've changed this (or it just so happened to be something they do for the specific items I purchased), you'd probably still get the plastic bags in addition to the air pillows and peanuts!
But what if i'm allergic to peanuts ?

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
I’ve personally decreased the suffering of plastic-addicted crackheadesque sea life by two lids and a straw. This was through no choice of my own, except for the straw the second time.

*pats self on back*
*arms hurts now*

In other news, plastic bags abound. Almost no reusable bags seen on property, and none offered.

Starlight67

I have a fear that Disney will start selling cloth shopping bags for about 15 bucks a pop. The more you buy in store, means the more you have to carry. Thus, you have to purchase more cloth shopping bags...
You would think they would go paper, but at my local Disney store it's a $.69 tote bag or nothing. (They stopped giving plastic bags at the begining ov July, saying "Disney is going Green") It just comes off as a money grab and not an environmental help. Other stores that dont use plastic at least use paper and dont make you buy something to take your PURCHASE home.

Dont get me wrong I am cool with limiting plastics and having paperstraws, but let me ask this, if we take all the plastic out and start consuming more paper products wont we have a bigger deforestation/death of the rain forest issues...

Agree-at least you have a 'discount' haha at your local Disney store, at mine it's a 99 cent reusable tote bag. I had the same mindset as you, I wasn't going to buy an additional item just to get the items I just bought home. Ended up carrying my stuff around like a shoplifter for a while. Then bought something from a reasonable store (as in one that provides bags for purchases)-stuffed everything in there.

This is as bad as airlines removing peanuts. If you have a peanut allergy you need to find other accommodations!

I don't know that the comparison is the same, but I do agree with the latter statement. If you have a special need, it's your responsibility to accommodate that need. Everyone else should not have to do without or be inconvenienced.

Don't eat peanuts, wear gloves and a mask if you are unsure of the area, check ingredients and then double check.

I am allergic to onion juice, but I don't demand that Taco Bell stop serving onions, I order my food without onions and then I check it before I eat it.

It's not the responsibility of the rest of the world to make sure you are taken care of.

justintheharris

I don't know that the comparison is the same, but I do agree with the latter statement. If you have a special need, it's your responsibility to accommodate that need. Everyone else should not have to do without or be inconvenienced.

Don't eat peanuts, wear gloves and a mask if you are unsure of the area, check ingredients and then double check.

I am allergic to onion juice, but I don't demand that Taco Bell stop serving onions, I order my food without onions and then I check it before I eat it.

It's not the responsibility of the rest of the world to make sure you are taken care of.
I think it's a little absurd to suggest people with peanut allergies should wear masks though. Peanuts could be... really about anywhere.

Obobru

I always see selfish entitled adults at Disney and wonder where they all hung out, turns out it's this thread.

Your straws are going and you will have to pay for reusable bags, if you decide to reuse them or just throw them away it's your option but you are still going to pay for them and no amount of moaning like a baby or throwing entitled tantrums is going to change that. Stuff your bags with straws, you could then use those bags to carry your purchases but that would mean using your brains. The straws the few mindless morons carry will be nothing compared to the amount Disney will be cutting.

I look forward to my next trip so I can see the deranged morons kicking off at counter service or guest services about how they can't get what they want, after all if it wasn't straws or bags these same people would be moaning about something else their self entitled attitude felt they should be getting.

HeadMouse

I think it's a little absurd to suggest people with peanut allergies should wear masks though. Peanuts could be... really about anywhere.

Why? They are the ones with the special need and considering your comment, "Peanuts could be... really about anywhere." I wouldn't want to take the chance, I'd wear a mask.

I look forward to my next trip so I can see the deranged morons kicking off at counter service or guest services about how they can't get what they want, after all if it wasn't straws or bags these same people would be moaning about something else their self entitled attitude felt they should be getting.

With the cost to visit the parks now in days, I don't think it's too much to expect a straw with your $15, watered down soda, even if it's a paper straw, or to expect a "free" bag when you buy a $40 t-shirt and a $20 autograph book.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Why? They are the ones with the special need and considering your comment, "Peanuts could be... really about anywhere." I wouldn't want to take the chance, I'd wear a mask.

With the cost to visit the parks now in days, I don't think it's too much to expect a straw with your $15, watered down soda, even if it's a paper straw, or to expect a "free" bag when you buy a $40 t-shirt and a $20 autograph book.
So reducing recyclables is only good for cheap places and items ? :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom