News Disney removing plastic straws and more by mid-2019

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
I just think it's ironic that they are not allowing the standard type of plastic straw, but they are now selling character straws that are also plastic in all the parks, including AK where you can't even enter with straws. Sure, they are reusable, but I have seen them on the ground many times. At $4.00 each for one of these character straws, I'm beginning to wonder if this is a way to make more money.

Is this a sarcastic epiphany?

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Sadly collapsible straws (at the moment) are notorious for being difficult to clean due to typically having gaskets.

The biggest issues is how we dispose of Plastic straws at parks.. In Tokyo Disneyland your expect to pour your left over liquid/ice into the ice bin, the plastic lid and straw into another bin, and finally the paper cup into the 3rd bin. However something tells me it's too complicated of a system to work here.. though it makes sense.
Far too complicated...:rolleyes:

21stamps

We had just gotten off Steel Vengeance screaming, so yes, we earned the drinks and the smiles.

I’m just over here green with envy! Did you love it? We aren’t able to visit until next Spring. I’m not paying $150 pp for Fast Lane Plus next weekend. Actually would have gone this past Sunday (cheaper FL+) but thunderstorms were forecasted all day.

michmousefan

I’m just over here green with envy! Did you love it? We aren’t able to visit until next Spring. I’m not paying $150 pp for Fast Lane Plus next weekend. Actually would have gone this past Sunday (cheaper FL+) but thunderstorms were forecasted all day.
Yeah, SV is just amazing. Top five coaster easily. Maybe even top one... But do go when you have a chance to use FLP... it will be worth it.

21stamps

Yeah, SV is just amazing. Top five coaster easily. Maybe even top one... But do go when you have a chance to use FLP... it will be worth it.

Awesome! I would never go to CP without FLP.. I’d rather not go at all. I have to make it within first 2 opening weekends of 2019, promised kiddo we’d do it once he reached 54”...he reached that a few months ago.
I compromised and did FLP at KI this past Sunday...it was worth it, but I typically only buy it once or twice per year. We live 7 minutes from the park.
The only reason I did it this weekend was for Firehawk final rides.. and because our visit to Haunt Saturday was miserably packed.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Sadly collapsible straws (at the moment) are notorious for being difficult to clean due to typically having gaskets.

The biggest issues is how we dispose of Plastic straws at parks.. In Tokyo Disneyland your expect to pour your left over liquid/ice into the ice bin, the plastic lid and straw into another bin, and finally the paper cup into the 3rd bin. However something tells me it's too complicated of a system to work here.. though it makes sense.

Bing, bang, boom. 3 steps and done. But that's too difficult for WDW. :arghh:

Yeah, you'd hate to expect guests to need to engage more than 12 brain cells while on vacation, just "where's the next roller coaster?", "where can I eat", and "how much for all this overpriced cr... merchandise?".

LSLS

I've not heard anyone say it's not the best coaster in the world (at least top 3). Not sure what it's like in the fall, but get there in the early Summer. I'm telling you, we went over Father's Day Weekend, and it had the longest wait at 100 or less minutes (may have hit 120 a couple of hours at some point). Top Thrill was like 60 at most, and the next longest was Millenium at 25 (Iron Dragon did bump up to third place when the VR went in at 5 or 6). Everything else was between 20 minutes and walk on. Second early summer visit, and second time it has been like that.

21stamps

Bing, bang, boom. 3 steps and done. But that's too difficult for WDW. :arghh:

Yeah, you'd hate to expect guests to need to engage more than 12 brain cells while on vacation, just "where's the next roller coaster?", "where can I eat", and "how much for all this overpriced cr... merchandise?".

How many brain cells does it take to drink from a cup without spilling it? ;)

21stamps

I've not heard anyone say it's not the best coaster in the world (at least top 3). Not sure what it's like in the fall, but get there in the early Summer. I'm telling you, we went over Father's Day Weekend, and it had the longest wait at 100 or less minutes (may have hit 120 a couple of hours at some point). Top Thrill was like 60 at most, and the next longest was Millenium at 25 (Iron Dragon did bump up to third place when the VR went in at 5 or 6). Everything else was between 20 minutes and walk on. Second early summer visit, and second time it has been like that.

Wow thanks for that tip! Soccer and baseball schedules dominate our calendar in January-June..small break in July..then back to soccer crazy Aug-November. I always have to pick a rare weekend without games. Maybe we’ll get lucky and have a bye week in early June. I could always wait til we get there to see if FLP is needed.

LSLS

Wow thanks for that tip! Soccer and baseball schedules dominate our calendar in January-June..small break in July..then back to soccer crazy Aug-November. I always have to pick a rare weekend without games. Maybe we’ll get lucky and have a bye week in early June. I could always wait til we get there to see if FLP is needed.

Oh yeah, July it's going to be slammed most likely. My days of going over the summer all the time were limited to before the Fast Pass explosions, so no help with that. But if you get the end of May/first of June opening, you may get to save some money. With 2020 being the big anniversary year (and rumored new monster coaster and more), you may get a bit lucky next year as is. Funny enough, we actually debated heading up this weekend, but ended up heading for Columbus instead.

21stamps

Oh yeah, July it's going to be slammed most likely. My days of going over the summer all the time were limited to before the Fast Pass explosions, so no help with that. But if you get the end of May/first of June opening, you may get to save some money. With 2020 being the big anniversary year (and rumored new monster coaster and more), you may get a bit lucky next year as is. Funny enough, we actually debated heading up this weekend, but ended up heading for Columbus instead.

Probably the best choice. Weather forecast was ugly in Sandusky this past weekend.

RSoxNo1

Where are we at with this? Has the phase out been done? Did they replace them all with the DAK Aardvark straws? Is it only at Quick Service locations or at sit down restaurants as well? Are the Mickey Mouse harder plastic straws still a thing?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Bringing this one back from the dead.

Prices are in and it looks like the reusable shopping bags are $1 for small and medium and $2 for large. It’s actually a very fair price and almost shocking for Disney these days. They are still making a profit on them, but not absurd profit.

Are the straws and shampoo switched out yet or are they still phasing this in? Haven’t heard a lot of complaining so assuming it’s not done yet.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not sure if this was posted somewhere else but here are the bags from the new world of Disney store courtesy of the Disney Food Blog:
4BE2A5E0-7D73-46FC-B80F-0231F760A705.jpeg

4D1F7873-8710-496D-9D8B-7EA36EBAC1FE.jpeg

2B2A651A-BED9-485C-B1F3-014AECE45A55.jpeg

F51FC5D6-F6E8-4DD1-BF2D-311B3D2B5A76.jpeg

9948C965-EEDE-4946-8ED4-39F034B25CEB.jpeg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm not going to lie: I shall miss the plastic bags, but this is the right thing to do.
These bags seem to be specialized for World of Disney. I’m wondering how many different bags will be rolled out. Will it be park specific or go further like each ride gift shop or store gets their own specialized bags too. I’m not sure it will matter to most people but I could see these things becoming collectibles for fans.

LittleBuford

These bags seem to be specialized for World of Disney. I’m wondering how many different bags will be rolled out. Will it be park specific or go further like each ride gift shop or store gets their own specialized bags too. I’m not sure it will matter to most people but I could see these things becoming collectibles for fans.

This is an exciting prospect for those of us who are Disney collectors/hoarders!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom