Disney Quest to close in July 2017

dhslxop

I just left a few minutes ago - I used the 50% off AP discount. It took about 20 minutes or so to get in. When I first got there the Cast Members were saying that it was at capacity and they weren't selling tickets, but shortly after they opened the ticket windows and the line went fairly fast - like the pictures above show, they were using an outdoor queue for the ticket windows. The place was fairly crowded, all of the major games had relatively long lines. I waited around 30 minutes or so for Cyber Space Mountain, and maybe 20 minutes for Aladdin. I didn't do any of the other major attractions, but they all looked to have 30+ minute waits.

There were a bunch of photopass photographers around, though I'm not sure if that's typical or if they were there because it was closing. As people left they were also handing out a nice photograph of the front of the building that had the opening and closing dates on it. That was a nice, unexpected touch. I had never been to Disney Quest before, so it was great to see it before it closed - I enjoyed it for what it is!

lazyboy97o

Went on Wednesday, it was very quiet. I'm almost a bit surprised that they didn't leave it open until after the 4th of July. With the CM auction and them clearing out fairly quickly there must be a time crunch for some reason.
The sooner it comes down, the sooner it become’s the NBA’s lot.

djkidkaz

Hopefully the contract with the NBA is very short cause this restaurant or whatever it is will be deadsville shortly after it opens. I still can't believe they decided to theme this huge building space entirely to NBA rather than just ESPN and have different floors of sports. We can surely expect a retheme not too much later after it opens when there is no profit from this.

Was anyone in the NBA restaurant that Universal had? What was in there that took up that much space? Surprised Disney would try something that failed at Uni.

lazyboy97o

Hopefully the contract with the NBA is very short cause this restaurant or whatever it is will be deadsville shortly after it opens. I still can't believe they decided to theme this huge building space entirely to NBA rather than just ESPN and have different floors of sports. We can surely expect a retheme not too much later after it opens when there is no profit from this.

Was anyone in the NBA restaurant that Universal had? What was in there that took up that much space? Surprised Disney would try something that failed at Uni.
It’s not a restaurant and it won’t be reusing the DisneyQuest building.

The NBA City Restaurant at Universal CityWalk did not fail. Universal kicked the NBA out because they wanted the space for themselves.

Biff215

You're certainly not alone, but I honestly don't understand predicting the failure of the NBA Experience before it even opens. For most it seems to be connected to their own distaste for the NBA, but it's certainly popular enough with others to draw a crowd. I can't guarantee that it will succeed, but comparing it against what they had at Universal is unfair. This is an entirely new concept that deserves a shot just like any other. It might not be for everyone, but how many places are? The fact is Disney wanted a tenant and the NBA was interested, so I'm looking forward to see what they come up with.

I'm sorry to see DQ go, but it's better than letting it continue to fall apart.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I could have gone today but after hearing about how much stuff was not working correctly, and watching Tim Tracker's video filmed a few days ago, I was like....meh.

I have nostalgia for the place to be sure, but it never lived up to its potential for me. The other thing that I forgot about until watching Tim's video is how claustrophic parts of it felt. There were some small dark spaces and maze-like interiors. As I've said many times before, if I built DisneyQuest, I would have made it bigger, more spread out (even in separate buildings, but joined in a "hub" in the middle that's all enclosed)

People were also saying that ironically the concept would probably work better if it was brand new today (And with all brand-new technology) as well.

WDWTank

I could have gone today but after hearing about how much stuff was not working correctly, and watching Tim Tracker's video filmed a few days ago, I was like....meh.

I have nostalgia for the place to be sure, but it never lived up to its potential for me. The other thing that I forgot about until watching Tim's video is how claustrophic parts of it felt. There were some small dark spaces and maze-like interiors. As I've said many times before, if I built DisneyQuest, I would have made it bigger, more spread out (even in separate buildings, but joined in a "hub" in the middle that's all enclosed)

People were also saying that ironically the concept would probably work better if it was brand new today (And with all brand-new technology) as well.
Had they upgraded the place it would be a success. Why NBA? Nobody asked for it. Plus, replacements should always better or as good as the original.

deeevo

You're certainly not alone, but I honestly don't understand predicting the failure of the NBA Experience before it even opens. For most it seems to be connected to their own distaste for the NBA, but it's certainly popular enough with others to draw a crowd. I can't guarantee that it will succeed, but comparing it against what they had at Universal is unfair. This is an entirely new concept that deserves a shot just like any other. It might not be for everyone, but how many places are? The fact is Disney wanted a tenant and the NBA was interested, so I'm looking forward to see what they come up with.

I'm sorry to see DQ go, but it's better than letting it continue to fall apart.
Watch ESPN for 30 mins and you will see why it is going to fail. It is now the 24hr NBA channel and one of the big reasons why ESPN is bleeding money. They have lost most of there legacy viewers for this reason. The NBA is not what it used to be and ESPN thinks it has the same appeal to all demographics and it does not. Now Disney thinks an 100K sq. ft.. NBA experience will be a success... ppttff... they need to do there homework.

Biff215

Watch ESPN for 30 mins and you will see why it is going to fail. It is now the 24hr NBA channel and one of the big reasons why ESPN is bleeding money. They have lost most of there legacy viewers for this reason. The NBA is not what it used to be and ESPN thinks it has the same appeal to all demographics and it does not. Now Disney thinks an 100K sq. ft.. NBA experience will be a success... ppttff... they need to do there homework.
I watch plenty of ESPN, and have for 30 years. They're bleeding money because they've overpaid for TV rights in several cases, not because the NBA is unpopular. If done right, the NBA Experience could be a hit, who knows. Bowling certainly isn't the most popular sport today but Splitsville seems to do fairly well. DS has changed, and some concepts will thrive there while others might fail. I just think it's too early to write this one off based upon our own opinions of a sport.

cindy_k

I almost used the 50% discount on Friday night to go in but then I remembered what shape it was in the last time I went, 6 years ago. I decided it can't be in better shape if they are closing it, and that it would just make me sad I spent $20 and would ruin my happy memories of playing in there.
RIP Disney Quest, I wish you had been better loved.

Gringrinngghost

All I can say for what I saw when I was there. Sad to have seen it partially abandoned.
Screen Shot 2017-07-02 at 8.04.36 AM.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom