Disney Quest in Philly?

TyphoonLagoon

Original Poster
I was wondering if anyone heard about this project possibly being back on. My dad mentioned to me yesterday that he heard something about it.

Any thoughts? I was disappointed when they called the project off originally.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by TyphoonLagoon
I was wondering if anyone heard about this project possibly being back on. My dad mentioned to me yesterday that he heard something about it.

I believe it DQ Philly is a dead deal.... Chicago's has been shuttered and gutted for quite some time now. I don't think there are plans for any new ones in the near future.

Bdis86

Account Suspended
DisneyQuest has sadly gone down the drain. All new DQs have been cancelled, and all curent venues have been shut down, with the exception of the one in Downtown Disney at WDW.

Pioneer Hall

There was talk of it closing, but I doubt that will happen. It seems to do pretty well. There was also talk of Disneyland getting one, but I don't think that will happen due to the other failures.

Sheri

I think if they don't have one in Chicago, they wouldn't put one in philidelphia (ok...I stink at spelling that, lol)...I don't think it's that great of an idea having one anywhere but DW, I don't know why, but I think that, lol :hammer: :rolleyes:

Luau Cove

Chicago's DQ was too big for something outside the WDW. I think they should have made it something not so emperious as the one in West Side.
It's a pity that this couldn't succeed, the idea was good...
-->LUAU

wishiwere@wdw

This is a very heated debate in Philly. Unfortunately, I have to go by a 30 ft. deep hole that is the length of 1 city block every single day. (I'll try to grab some digital photos one day) Construction began and then the city and Disney couldn't come to an agreement. This was loooonnggg before the failure of DQ became known. Now we have this disgusting hole from 9th&market to 8th&market with crappy construction fence around it. In fact, you can't even walk on that side of the street! (People still walk in the street) Philly's market street is beautiful and it is a real shame that people have to look at this everyday. Btw- I'm not blaming Disney one bit. From what I understand, our city was the ones not cooperating. At least now we would have a cool looking closed building which is much better than this hole!

TyphoonLagoon

Original Poster
I hear you about the unsightly hole... I used to work at 16th and Chestnut and would walk by the hole heading to the Gallery for lunch... I just wish they would put something there.....

wishiwere@wdw

I guess they do not want to fill it in because a new buyer might dig it back up. At this point however, it will probably never become anything at all. It seems they are more interested in developing the waterfront by D&B on Delaware Ave. The plans I saw in the paper show quite a complex going in down there (of course it is sponsored by Comcast :( ) . I don't see much point of a big corp filling that spot if they are trying to copy fisherman's wharf in SF or the Baltimore harbor area on Delaware Ave. It is really a shame because Philly is missing the New York style excessiveness of WB store, Disney Store, ESPN Zone, Virgin Records, etc. Even our Hard Rock is small in comparison to others. And they wonder why we can't attract any tourists:hammer: Anyway, it gives my wife and I all the more reason to go to Orlando. I will be happy if they fill it in with dirt and put in some trees and benches.

tmp

I not sure how much I really remember, but I thought that the developers involved with building up Penn's landing were not to happy with disneyquest's location. They thought it would draw to much attention away from the waterfront. If I recall correctly the city was forced to throw out disneyquest or possibly lose whatever in the heck is supposed to be built down by the waterfront. They have been talking for years of building that area up to be like Baltimore's Inner Harbor and nothing except a new hotel and relocation of the skating rink. Philadelphia should have worked with Disney better, but it was also during the switch of mayors and when that happen so did the project!

wishiwere@wdw

Including the Atlantic City Boardwalk in NJ? All of them? I had no idea! I guess I'm paying more close attention to Disney in the news than WB:lol: Well, there goes one of three places that are worth taking your kids to in AC. (Steel Pier, WBSS, and Ripley's Believe it or not) I don't think Ripley's is doing to well either so soon it will only be the unsafe SP.

wdwmaniac

Originally posted by tmp
I not sure how much I really remember, but I thought that the developers involved with building up Penn's landing were not to happy with disneyquest's location. They thought it would draw to much attention away from the waterfront. If I recall correctly the city was forced to throw out disneyquest or possibly lose whatever in the heck is supposed to be built down by the waterfront. They have been talking for years of building that area up to be like Baltimore's Inner Harbor and nothing except a new hotel and relocation of the skating rink. Philadelphia should have worked with Disney better, but it was also during the switch of mayors and when that happen so did the project!

I think Disney Imagineers made the Discovery Center in Baltimore I not sure if that the name or not but It sounds like I heard it before.

tmp

Originally posted by TyphoonLagoon

I know by know everybody knows the project is dead, but just to reconfirm it - I was watching the 6 o'clock news(Philadelphia) and they mentioned the area where disneyquest was supoosed to go is being bought for 12 million dollars so they could put a parking lot there. Funny thing about this is that it was a parking lot. Now it is a big ditch - soon to be a parking lot again!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom