Disney profit up 54 percent with Disney World attendance up 2 percent

MAF

The more incentive for the big wigs to not make any improvements at WDW. If the attendence is going up from them doing nothing and increasing prices, then why make any improvements...

TP2000

"Attendance at Disney World was also up by more than 2 percent, whereas attendance at Disneyland was slightly down."

Thats a little surprising, I guess all of the people going to see Worlds of Color are doing it at the expense of DL?

These percentage changes are compared to year-ago figures. Disneyland's attendance in October-December of '09 had jumped by 20% that year, after the new Halloween offerings debuted that year and building on the growing Annual Passholder program. Being "slightly down" in 2010 compared directly to 2009's unprecedented 20% jump in attendance is actually quite healthy.

And as others have mentioned, the historically huge rains that SoCal got bashed with for the whole month of December really hit attendance at Disneyland this Christmas. It didn't stop raining until December 26th, and then the crowds returned en masse. Southern Californians are notoriously wimpy when water is falling from the sky, and we all huddled in our homes for most of December ordering our Christmas gifts online in fear of driving to the mall in the rain. I'm not making that up. :lol:

PhilharMagician

These percentage changes are compared to year-ago figures. Disneyland's attendance in October-December of '09 had jumped by 20% that year, after the new Halloween offerings debuted that year and building on the growing Annual Passholder program. Being "slightly down" in 2010 compared directly to 2009's unprecedented 20% jump in attendance is actually quite healthy.

And as others have mentioned, the historically huge rains that SoCal got bashed with for the whole month of December really hit attendance at Disneyland this Christmas. It didn't stop raining until December 26th, and then the crowds returned en masse. Southern Californians are notoriously wimpy when water is falling from the sky, and we all huddled in our homes for most of December ordering our Christmas gifts online in fear of driving to the mall in the rain. I'm not making that up. :lol:

Orlando was colder than ussual this past December breaking quite a few records. That had to put a damper on locals visiting.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Doesn't this have more to do with how quarters were aligned?

I believe I read the same thing before. Still, good to know that there's still visitors in the parks even with all of the construction and refurbs taking place on each coast....

menamechris

Orlando was colder than ussual this past December breaking quite a few records. That had to put a damper on locals visiting.

This is a very good point as well! We had planned to go several times over the holiday season, but there were a few days that were just too cold to make it out there.

Ignohippo

Well, seems to me to be more of a result of coming out of a recession and people relaxing the grips on their wallets a bit. Retail is generally up a as well.

I would expect to see an even larger increase in attendance, etc. in 2011 just due to improvements in the global economy. This doesn't mean WDW is doing a great job at bringing people in the gate.

If Uni is up 30%, then WDW could and should be too. At some point, the higher ups would have to see that sustained double-didget gains are possible - rather than being excited at a 2% increase over a horrible economic year.

We also have to remember that adding attractions to the parks not only increases attendance at the parks, but also increases hotel revenue as well as merchandise. It's different for Uni whose 3 hotels are already at capacity. WDW has many, many resorts that are generally well under capacity. If TDO were to add attractions that increase park attendance by 30%, you would see the same types of gains at the resorts, Downtown Disney, and increased revenue in merchandise across the board.

PhilharMagician

Yeah, but that is more of an issue depending on which quarter Easter falls on. Easter is the only holiday that moves around and can fall between Q1 & Q2.

Doesn't Disney's Q1 start on October 1st instead of Jan 1st?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Yeah, but that is more of an issue depending on which quarter Easter falls on. Easter is the only holiday that moves around and can fall between Q1 & Q2.

Doesn't Disney's Q1 start on October 1st instead of Jan 1st?

I believe it does.....

ajt5027

I think this is really good news for parks. I was reading that in their comments to analysts, Iger and Rasulo claimed Parks will be the driver of growth. I like to think this is a solid formula:they revamped the studios, allowing new characters and broader exposure of the parks and now they've turned thier sights to the parks temselves.

loboftbl

Not to be "that guy".....but I could not find anywhere in the quartley report that attendance at DisneyWorld was up 2%. I found where it says both parks were up 2% combined. I have read other articles that suggest Disneyworld was actually down and Disney combined the numbers to hide it. Here is the actual quarterly report to read yourself...http://seekingalpha.com/article/251...sses-q1-2011-results-earnings-call-transcript

I could very well be wrong so do not shoot the messanger.

DisneyJoe

The Orlando Sentinel Article stated:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-daily-disney/os-disney-earnings-20110208,0,7426349.story

"But attendance also perked up, by 2 percent, between the two coasts, despite disruptive weather during the quarter that included heavy rains in Southern California and a post-Christmas blizzard that grounded air travel across the Northeast.

Although it did not provide specific figures, Disney said Disney World attendance was up "more than 2 percent" during the quarter while Disneyland, in Anaheim, Calif., was "slightly down" from last year."

duff527

Sooo..... once they're done with the fantasyland expansion...

replacing WOL, JIIWF, TETUNM, SGE, and refurbishing CBJ, and maaaany other attractions seems like nothing compared to the money Disney has!

I can usually decipher the acronyms, but what is TETUNM?

Edit: NM, got it. The enchanted tiki room under new management

lebeau

This is good news for them! Hopefully, this means that price increases will take rest so that this trend will continue. I feel like everytime I turn around, prices of food, rooms, and merchandise are going up...

They raise prices... attendence goes up. Why give the price hikes a rest?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

Doesn't look like it. Disney's reporting does provide the possibility for odd results due to quarter alignment because the company's quarters end on the Saturday closest to Dec 31, Mar 31, Jun 30, and Sep 30. That means that every now and then you get a 14 week quarter. But in the quarters being compared here, the quarters ran Oct 3, 2009 to Jan 2, 2010, and Oct 2, 2010 to Jan 1, 2011, so the length seems to be the same this time around.

TP2000

I'm sure it did. But the population of Central Florida - those living within a 2 hour drive of Walt Disney World property, is much smaller than the population of Southern California - those living within a 2 hour drive of Disneyland.

Central Florida (Greater Tampa Bay Metro, Cape Canaveral, Greater Orlando Metro, adjoining counties) = 4.9 Million People
Southern California (Los Angeles Metro, Inland Empire, Orange County, San Diego County) = 22.4 Million People

If the "locals" decide not to leave their homes in SoCal, it's a much bigger atttendance hit for Disneyland than it is for WDW if the "locals" decide not to leave their homes in Central Florida.

lightning509s

Cast members were given (4) extra sign-ins for themselves and their families this past year and will again receive (4) extra sign-ins this year.
Normally, cast members are allowed only (12) sign-ins per year.

This is a way for the company to disguise actual attendance figures...

Just saying...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom