Disney plus Imagineering

Nirya

Does Defunctland even count as a Disney parks history channel anymore? DefuncTV seems to be the main focus of the channel now.

It really hasn’t been a Disney parks history channel for awhile now. They still do some Disney stuff (and the new season seems to be using Walt as a through line which I thought was interesting considering the first episode was about the Ferris Wheel) but they’ve branched out into other parks as well.

As for the DefuncTV stuff, I think they said it was mostly filler between seasons because they’re easier and quicker to make, with the Henson series being an obvious exception. The third season did just start, so I imagine the DefuncTVs will ramp down a bunch in response.

RobWDW1971

This, or a theater designed for multi media shows showing highly reconizable shorts anyone can watch on home video, next to one of the most ill recieved dark rides Disney has ever produced.

And I enjoyed listening to the Imagineers list off all of the fundamental concepts of land design and how SWGE violates all of them.

Music? Nope. Full of kinetic motion? Nope. Happy and optimistic architecture? Nope.

Hence why 60+ year old Main Street USA still feels like a kinetic, magical place filled with music, charm, and incredible placemaking and SWGE feels like a depressing abandoned movie set.

Last edited:

Phroobar

And I enjoyed listening to the Imagineers list off all of the fundamental concepts of land design and how SWGE violates all of them.

Music? Nope. Full of kinetic motion? Nope. Happy and optimistic architecture? Nope.

Hence why 60+ year old Main Street USA still feels like a kinetic, magical place filled with music, charm, and incredible placemaking and SWGE feels like a depressing abandoned movie set.
All of those things were planned and built in but Disney decided to save pennies instead. It will be the same thing for the Avengers Campus.

planodisney

All of those things were planned and built in but Disney decided to save pennies instead. It will be the same thing for the Avengers Campus.
Is this your gut feeling or do you have some inside info that Disney has already cut the rooftop stunt shows and streetmosphere?

Phroobar

Is this your gut feeling or do you have some inside info that Disney has already cut the rooftop stunt shows and streetmosphere?
There is a big thread about all of that. Not going to recap it for you. They always planned to have roaming droids. They even did the stunt show for press previews. There are speakers throughout the land that should be playing music composed for the land by John Williams. They even released a small selection of it months before.

Phroobar

Based on what we saw for GE, do you seriously think there will be a rooftop stunt show for the Avengers campus? All we are going to get is a cheesy Doctor Strange show and a couple of static meet & greets and maybe two walk around characters. It's not like we are getting an elaborate M&G like the BatB thing in MK's new Fantasyland. Disneyland's entertainment can't even put Chewbacca in a red robe for Sunday's Life Day.

RobWDW1971

Watching that episode just made me sad.

Look at the WDI genius of Tomorrowland 1967. Just walking through the land you see all of this kinetic motion:

- Monorails soaring overhead
- Peoplemovers constantly gliding throughout the land
- Rocket Jets above you spinning
- Carousel of Progress entire building magically spinning
- Autopia cars at ground level puttering around the land
- Skyway buckets flying above you
- Submarines floating by
- The Tomorrowland stage magically rising out of the ground
- Even the steam train pulling into and out of the station.

WDI 2019 SWGE:

- Static rusted droids in a planter.

it is to weep.

lazyboy97o

Live entertainment that isn’t a specific attraction is always going to have a target on its back. Even if it makes it to opening day, it will be an easy target for operations to cut when Disney goes through one of their routine panics.

PiratesMansion

It really hasn’t been a Disney parks history channel for awhile now. They still do some Disney stuff (and the new season seems to be using Walt as a through line which I thought was interesting considering the first episode was about the Ferris Wheel) but they’ve branched out into other parks as well.

As for the DefuncTV stuff, I think they said it was mostly filler between seasons because they’re easier and quicker to make, with the Henson series being an obvious exception. The third season did just start, so I imagine the DefuncTVs will ramp down a bunch in response.

Let's be honest, Defunctland's theme park videos weren't really much more in depth than any other theme park YouTube channel and often contained errors that even basic research would have spotted.

He also, at times, would let his personal opinion cloud whatever he was talking about, ex. Cedar Fair is a terrible company because Worlds of Fun hasn't gotten a coaster in ten years.

He was no more credentialed than any other theme park YouTuber, he just had a shinier presentation.

mickEblu

Why doesn’t Disney + let you continue from the episode you last stopped watching? I’ve been playing Mickey Mouse Clubhouse for my son and every time we go back it starts at episode 1 again. I didn’t notice any “resume play” option when watching the Mandalorian either.

kind of annoying. I imagine that functionality is coming.

Last edited:

MK-fan

Im disappointed that the second episode didn’t have Tony Baxter, they didn’t talk about any of his projects, no Big Thunder, no New Fantasyland and they spent like 30 seconds talking about Journey into Imagination and only specified that he was Epcot’s mascot. Tony has played a vital role in Disney Imagineering and deserves some spotlight like Rolly, Marty and Gurr did in the last episode.

SuddenStorm

Im disappointed that the second episode didn’t have Tony Baxter, they didn’t talk about any of his projects, no Big Thunder, no New Fantasyland and they spent like 30 seconds talking about Journey into Imagination and only specified that he was Epcot’s mascot. Tony has played a vital role in Disney Imagineering and deserves some spotlight like Rolly, Marty and Gurr did in the last episode.

Wait, what?

Is Tony really that unpopular within the company now?

Animaniac93-98

My Guess is New Fantasyland will be talked about during episode 3.

TrainsOfDisney

Based on the description, I think he will be a big part of episode 3.

Stevek

Why doesn’t Disney + let you continue from the episode you last stopped watching? I’ve been playing Mickey Mouse Clubhouse for my son and every time we go back it starts at episode 1 again. I didn’t notice any “resume play” option when watching the Mandalorian either.

kind of annoying. I imagine that functionality is coming.

I believe they just added that today. I saw someone post a pick of a "resume" button on Twitter earlier.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom