News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
7 lands across 12 parks doesn't sound that impressive.
Meanwhile at the Imagination Pavilion in Epcot....

1410828703.jpg

doctornick

Does the context of the "7 new lands" indicate any suggestion of which parks they are looking at for investment? I'm assuming Tokyo would not be part of the discussion given that TWDC does not own it, but they talking about ramped up investment in the partially owned Chinese locations? Or moreso in the US and European parks that they fully own?

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Don't think for a second that any of his comments were spontaneous and off the cuff. Everything about this town hall was carefully scripted and planned. Bob's only priority is to thwart Peltz. He'll say and promise anything to accomplish that. (even though Peltz has no shot in hell). This is just more of that strategy.

SplashJacket

7 lands across 12 parks doesn't sound that impressive.
Yeah seems like an odd number to me…

If I had to guess,

One at DCA, one at Disneyland, one at DisneySea, one at Animal Kingdom, two at Walt Disney Studios Paris, one at Shanghai?

That would make the most sense if they’re talking easy expansion pads and not replacements…

Or could mean they have 7 lands they want to . Like 7 different franchises..

Not sure

doctornick

Yeah seems like an odd number to me…

If I had to guess,

One at DCA, one at Disneyland, one at DisneySea, one at Animal Kingdom, two at Walt Disney Studios Paris, one at Shanghai?

That would make the most sense if they’re talking easy expansion pads and not replacements…

Or could mean they have 7 lands they want to . Like 7 different franchises..

Not sure

To be fair, I don't think that the statement by Iger was that they "would" be building 7 new lands, but that they "could". I take it to mean something more along the lines that they will be investing so much in the parks as they'd be able to build 7 full lands worth of "stuff" but some of those could easily just be additions to existing lands. It would more to put in into context of how much building he anticipates them doing.

Now whether it actually gets approved/finalized and happens is a different story....

SplashJacket

To be fair, I don't think that the statement by Iger was that they "would" be building 7 new lands, but that they "could". I take it to mean something more along the lines that they will be investing so much in the parks as they'd be able to build 7 full lands worth of "stuff" but some of those could easily just be additions to existing lands. It would more to put in into context of how much building he anticipates them doing.

Now whether it actually gets approved/finalized and happens is a different story....
Was this a WDW specific comment?

Assuming 7 full lands at 1.5 billion each, that’s 10.5 billion total, which could make sense for what they were saying for WDW investment.

Weird comment all arounf

EPCOT-O.G.

Knowing Iger, he is counting the newly opened World of Frozen in HKDL as one of those 7 lands. Probably even counting World Celebration as a new land in Epcot too. Hey! There's 2 of the 7 already built. We're ahead of schedule now. ;):banghead:
I’ve seen some indication the $60bn includes what’s being built now (EPCOT finishing, Tiana). So probably yes.

CJ2

Maybe someone said this, but can Disney start by building something instead of it all being blue sky. Feels like they have been working on EPCOT for 6 years now, and the only real thing they added was ways for people to spend more money. The parks being overcrowded is a real issue for people that spend a lot of money to visit. Rebuilding the same rides will not solve the issue for long wait times and since Disney will not ever cut the capacity on daily entry then please build new lands with more than 2 attractions.

neo999955

In the Parks
No
Did he mean lands as traditionally used to imply something like Galaxy's Edge, Tomorrowland, Cars or Harry Potter? Or, when he's talking about thousands of acres and doubling the size of Disneyland alone, does he really mean gates? I read it as they have the room for 7 more gates, if they wanted, even tho they won't really do that, but they might add 7 lands over the next ten years.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
"We Have So Much IP to Mine"

PRINT THE SHIRTS!

Maybe with the 7 dwarfs? Heighhh-Hoooo!

Iger singing:
We dig dig dig dig dig dig dig in our IP mine the whole day through
To dig dig dig dig dig IP dig is what we really like to do
It ain't no trick to get rich quick

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If they use 2024 and 2025 to revisit entertainment and get new shows, parades, characters, etc. up and running, that will give them plenty of time to have a new land opening for holidays 2026. I can't blame Disney for not wanting to invest the past couple years with the current interest rates on loans. They made a mistake not taking out a lot of money to build during Covid when rates were rock bottom. Universal didn't make that mistake and they're reaping rewards.

But they have to do something now, and to me, I'd rather them invest in something great for 2026 and give attention to entertainment (which is desperately needed) for 2025. It already seems they're taking steps in that direction bringing characters back to meet and greet status from distance encounters.

I agree with most of this

But not about 2026…they can’t build anything of note in 30 months. Nothing

And it’s not a “Problem” for them…it’s deliberate.

They’re gonna announce some things allegedly being built in late 24 or early 25 and say it will take till 28-30 in Orlando

That will be their response to Comcast.

Wait for it…

James Alucobond

I don't even really want them to build new lands, unless they mean "lands" like Fantasyland. The single IP stuff is really constraining and significantly limits what attractions they can build even beyond the general IP mandate.
Tropical Americas as a decent idea for Animal Kingdom at least gives me some hope.

Hopefully this doesn’t include recently opened or opening lands like World of Frozen and Fantasy Springs. If not, cool, and hopefully that means the focus will be a bit more on the western parks for a while.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom