News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

ToTBellHop

I mentioned this at the bottom of one of my characteristically overly-long posts somewhere else but I think it's worth repeating here:

I think Disney is waiting to see what the full impact of Epic Universe is going to be for them once it's fully up and running and past grand opening crowd levels.

Until then, I'd expect blue sky presentations and vague ideas of things to come while they stall, watching and trying to figure out what they're going to need to pour into their Florida property for the future.

Hopefully, EU opens big, has really great stuff AND has some meaningful lasting impact when it comes to people's vacation plans that gives Disney management cause for concern.

I think that's the only way we're going to see them really invest the way we'd all like to see them do it. I just wonder how long they'd need to sit and watch before realizing something needs to be done.
The Dinoland project gets under way before EU opens. I certainly view the scope of any MK expansion as a direct response to the EU impact, if any.

MrPromey

The Dinoland project gets under way before EU opens. I certainly view the scope of any MK expansion as a direct response to the EU impact, if any.
Will it?

Did they confirm this wasn't still blue sky?

You seemed pretty certain that Moana/Zootopia thing for the same spot was a done deal ready to be green-lit as a real project with shovels in the ground and happening right after it was announced as a blue sky thing last year and no offense but... here we are. 🤷‍♂️

ToTBellHop

Will it?

Did they confirm this wasn't still blue sky?

You seemed pretty certain that Moana/Zootopia thing for the same spot was a done deal ready to be green-lit as a real project with shovels in the ground and happening right after it was announced as a blue sky thing last year and no offense but... here we are. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah and I said I was surprised at the shift in theme. They kept that pretty well guarded which is why we hadn’t heard it here.

The theme doesn’t really impact the construction timeline though.

I also said when they brought Bruce back it was because they were going to begin several large-scale projects and that’s still the plan (obviously?). He seems to have updated all plans from last year. The one area I haven’t heard more on (and would love to…) is Villain Land. I’d love for that to be the entirety of the MK expansion.

Tha Realest

Yeah and I said I was surprised at the shift in theme. They kept that pretty well guarded which is why we hadn’t heard it here.

I also said when they brought Bruce back it was because they were going to begin several large-scale projects and that’s still the plan (obviously?). He seems to have updated all plans from last year. The one area I haven’t heard more on (and would love to…) is Villain Land. I’d love for that to be the entirety of the MK expansion.
Am I the only one worried that such an increase to the existing footprint of MK will strain the already iffy transport in and out of the park? Do they have the logistical capacity to handle that big of an expansion with the current fleet of monorails/boats/buses?

ToTBellHop

Am I the only one worried that such an increase to the existing footprint of MK will strain the already iffy transport in and out of the park? Do they have the logistical capacity to handle that big of an expansion with the current fleet of monorails/boats/buses?
They studied that awhile back and it shouldn’t be an issue. The work on the roads into and out of MK improves efficiency dramatically.

MrPromey

It's pretty easy to keep things under wraps when all you've got is concept art.

Considering the non-specific artwork they presented last year was for what appeared to be a flume style ride and what they're presenting which is even more vague this year doesn't, I think this change is a little more than just "theme" but if they haven't actually drafted anything for construction to go off of, you're right, it makes no difference.

I'm sorry if my skepticism seems misplaced but given that here we are a year later with no construction started and with that entire concept being scrapped and a totally new one being, in their words, "considered", I'll believe it when the shovels hit the ground.

We'll see.

If it starts within the next two years, great. If not, I won't be in need of a fainting chair.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

It's pretty easy to keep things under wraps when all you've got is concept art.

Considering the non-specific artwork they presented last year was for what appeared to be a flume style ride and what they're presenting which is even more vague this year doesn't, I think this change is a little more than just "theme".

I'm sorry if my skepticism seems misplaced but given that here we are a year later with no construction started and with that entire concept being scrapped and a totally new one being, in their words, "considered", I'll believe it when the shovels hit the ground.

We'll see.

If it starts within the next two years, great. If not, I won't be in need of a fainting chair.
I agree that the complete shift in concept after a year is strange (especially because it means Beyond Big Thunder changed, too). Josh insists on continuing these blue sky announcements to fans even though I think it’s actually damaging their reputation. But what do I know.

fgmnt

I agree that the complete shift in concept after a year is strange (especially because it means Beyond Big Thunder changed, too). Josh insists on continuing these blue sky announcements to fans even though I think it’s actually damaging their reputation. But what do I know.
The only reason I think you will see shovels in the ground at DAK in 2024 is because there's just no way Josh rolls out that same presentation of nothing a third time, right?

Right?

ToTBellHop

The only reason I think you will see shovels in the ground at DAK in 2024 is because there's just no way Josh rolls out that same presentation of nothing a third time, right?

Right?
One would hope the D23 2024 presentation would include a FORMAL announcement for DAK (i.e. This is what we are building and it opens in x year) with more concrete blue sky for MK that will nonetheless be completely changed in 2025 and 2026 before they actually start building.

MrPromey

I mean, even when they announce something is coming, we know from experience that doesn't really mean it's coming or that the visuals they show for what they have green-lit will actually end up as part of the final project but when they say something is happening, they're at least saying it's happening.

With these kinds of announcements though, they're not even pretending it's going to happen. They're just saying it crossed their minds and the internet explodes with chatter about what they are certain will be.

How many pages did that Moana/Zootopia thread get to? We on this forum probably collectively thought more about how that was going to work than people being paid by Disney actually did.

Anyway, they've probably got one or two more wacks they can take at this before the voggers finally stop trying to kick the ball and at that point, it'll be 2025 or pretty darn close to it, right? ;)

ToTBellHop

I mean, even when they announce something is coming, we know from experience that doesn't really mean it's coming or that the visuals they show for what they have green-lit will actually end up as part of the final project but when they say something is happening, they're at least saying it's happening.

With these kinds of announcements though, they're not even pretending it's going to happen. They're just saying it crossed their minds and the internet explodes with chatter about what they are certain will be.

How many pages did that Moana/Zootopia thread get to? We on this forum probably collectively thought more about how that was going to work than people being paid by Disney actually did.

Anyway, they've probably got one or two more wacks they can take at this before the voggers finally stop trying to kick the ball and at that point, it'll be 2025 or pretty darn close to it, right? ;)
Let’s hope they don’t believe they can wait another 2 years before starting anything of substance. They are running out of modest replacements as their actually announcements…as ready as I am for CBJ updates.

I do expect Indy to actually happen only because it’s VERY Iger. IP he bought, relatively cheap project, guaranteed to be popular. There’s no downside for Bob and his legacy. We should have expected changes with Iger and Bruce returning.

Meanwhile, I’m investing most of my theme park energy in Epic Universe, an actual, exciting project of impressive scale.

MrPromey

Let’s hope they don’t believe they can wait another 2 years before starting anything of substance. They are running out of modest replacements as their actually announcements…as ready as I am for CBJ updates.

I do expect Indy to actually happen only because it’s VERY Iger. IP he bought, relatively cheap project, guaranteed to be popular. There’s no downside for Bob and his legacy. We should have expected changes with Iger and Bruce returning.

Meanwhile, I’m investing most of my theme park energy in Epic Universe, an actual, exciting project of impressive scale.
Yeah, I will say that what looks, based on the concept art, to be nothing more than an Indy overlay for the buildings and ride already there, that seems like a much more scaled back and likely to happen thing than what they'd previously suggested... maybe they'll actually start on that half of things within the next two years but even still, it'll amount to a 1:1 replacement of the ride and facilities already there.

I suppose the announcement may help bookings but it's not like that project, itself, is going to increase attraction capacity in that park or, I think, do anything to change the reputation of it as a good half-day place to visit. :/

ToTBellHop

Yeah, I will say that what looks, based on the concept art to be nothing more than an Indy overlay for the buildings and ride already there, that seems like a much more scaled back and likely to happen thing than what they'd previously suggested... maybe they'll actually start on that half of things within the next two years but even still, it'll amount to a 1:1 replacement of the ride and facilities already there.

I suppose the announcement may help bookings but it's not like that project, itself, is going to increase attraction capacity in that park or, I think, do anything to change the reputation of it as a good half-day place to visit. :/
If it’s more popular and has longer lines, it increases the amount of time guests spend at DAK and relieves pressure on MK and DHS. They definitely need a more popular eastern side of DAK to pull guests away from the rest of the park, too. So, while MK expansion is an aspirational goal, Dinoland actually needs work so it can pull its own weight.

fgmnt

If it’s more popular and has longer lines, it increases the amount of time guests spend at DAK and relieves pressure on MK and DHS. They definitely need a more popular eastern side of DAK to pull guests away from the rest of the park, too. So, while MK expansion is an aspirational goal, Dinoland actually needs work so it can pull its own weight.
If they can squeeze in a third attraction and heavily upgrade the restaurant pad it probably does this very needed job. As important as filling in the Dinorama pad and updating Dinosaur would be building a more heat resilient play area and some family flats nestled around the play area.

Jrb1979

While true, IMO redoing an attraction does nothing. They need more new attractions not overlays. What they should be doing is taking that 60 billion and adding a bunch of C-ticket level attractions to DHS, AK and Epcot.

Advisable Joseph

I agree that the complete shift in concept after a year is strange (especially because it means Beyond Big Thunder changed, too).
I wonder if the Zootopia attraction was always supposed to be a theater show, and that no one actually heard what was replacing Dinosaur. The theater show certainly fits Jennifer Lee's description from last year better than Shanghai Disney's ride.

As for Moana, if they're thinking about adding Australia, as was rumored a few years ago, maybe they'll put Polynesia nearby?
Josh insists on continuing these blue sky announcements to fans even though I think it’s actually damaging their reputation. But what do I know.
I like the ability for Disney to get feedback.

ToTBellHop

I wonder if the Zootopia attraction was always supposed to be a theater show, and that no one actually heard what was replacing Dinosaur. The theater show certainly fits Jennifer Lee's description from last year better than Shanghai Disney's ride.

As for Moana, if they're thinking about adding Australia, as was rumored a few years ago, maybe they'll put Polynesia nearby?

I like the ability for Disney to get feedback.
I’d suggest focus groups.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom