News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

Disstevefan1

Sacrilege here I know... but maybe 60 billion is too much to invest?
Shut up and go away. ;)

Just kidding. Seriously Don't worry they are not going to actually do it, they just said the "plan" on doing it.

They need to get past next week, next month, next year before they can think about investing 60 billion on anything.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Original Poster
Please note...

No 5th Gate.​
Disneyland forward is not creating a 3rd gate.​
Parks with only one park are not creating a 2nd gate.​
No new Disneylands elsewhere in the world.​
For now.
Square that with "And while our scale is impressive, we have no shortage of space or regions of the world in which to tell new stories."

TheMaxRebo

I’ll play….

1. 1-2 new rides every other year. This can sometimes be a replacement but should mostly be new/additional builds.

2. A new land or at least a bunch of rides (3+) every other year. This is the “big splash” stuff

3. A new large show or parade every other year.

4. Regular changing out of shows, films, etc every 5 years or so (maybe 8 years at the longest)

This is roughly would I would expect to do. Every year should have “something” new and at least every other year should be something quite large. And stuff doesn’t have to be one individual park each year but if it is on average then each park would get something new at least every 4 years or so at minimum.

There should be walls up somewhere pretty much always. Constant state of improvement. If you are always building stuff, you won’t run into the “people holding off on vacations to see the new thing” concept because there is always something new.

I actually don’t think the last 10 years or so we’re off much from what I’m suggesting though it has been too much “replacement” and not enough “additions”

definitely wasn't, as your figures would mean in a 10 year period 3 new lands, 5+ new rides, 5 new shows/parades,

over the last 10 years we got:
- 3 new lands (Pandora, Galaxy's Edge, Toy Story Land)
- 6 new or redone attractions (Cosmic Rewind, Remy, Tron, MMRR, Frozen Ever After, Journey of Water)
- 7+ new shows (Festival of Fantasy, Harmonius, Happily Ever After, Enchantment, Rivers of Light, Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular, EPCOT Forever, plus the SSE Beacon of Magic shows)

Plus Disney Springs, Skyliner, new hotels/DVC, etc.

Maybe not the right stuff but about in line with the amount of stuff you would want

hopemax

I saw the news on Twitter before I saw it here. The main response was, "Pay your writers." Disney is going through some things between the strikes, the Florida situation and the geopolitical economic situation and decoupling regarding China. They need to get some positive buzz, and probably a lot of what they would prefer to do (more investment in Asia, build out streaming and Studio) is not necessarily wise at this point of time. But they have to say something to investors, so IMO, they throw this out there. Maybe there is legitimate DCL expansion planned, time to circle back to expansion at DLR... but I suspect that this is more puffed up, try to change the narrative, blue sky, wait for the ground situation to resolve than true ambition.

doctornick

I don't really want Walt Disney World to expand, per se. There's already enough to do where I'm fully entertained for the 8 nights at a time I visit. I know I'm in the minority, but I want replacements and upgrades, not new builds.
Eh. There’s “enough to do” because a lot of it takes too long because there’s not enough capacity for the crowd levels. Each of the non-MK parks needs a bunch more lower tier stuff (a few more headliners wouldn’t hurt too) so there’s things to do with short waits in between the bigger things. DHS is the worse for this as almost everything there either has a long line most of the day or is a show with a schedule that can’t be done spontaneously.

The parks are miserable a lot of the time because they are underbuilt.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
They need to use that money to refurbish and enhance, but I just know they're gonna continue to retheme and carry on the IP mandate.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Original Poster
I saw the news on Twitter before I saw it here. The main response was, "Pay your writers." Disney is going through some things between the strikes, the Florida situation and the geopolitical economic situation and decoupling regarding China. They need to get some positive buzz, and probably a lot of what they would prefer to do (more investment in Asia, build out streaming and Studio) is not necessarily wise at this point of time. But they have to say something to investors, so IMO, they throw this out there. Maybe there is legitimate DCL expansion planned, time to circle back to expansion at DLR... but I suspect that this is more puffed up, try to change the narrative, blue sky, wait for the ground situation to resolve than true ambition.
FFS you don't file 8-K statements just to create marketing spin.

You're describing a felony.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Original Poster
Each of the non-MK parks needs a bunch more lower tier stuff (a few more headliners wouldn’t hurt too) so there’s things to do with short waits in between the bigger things.
I agree with that.

People crap all over Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy but you know what? It has an awesome AA, it's air conditioned, little boys who are too short for RnRC love it, it was reasonably inexpensive to build and operate, and it kills 20 minutes.

Tha Realest

The optimist (and Disney theme park fan) in me is wildly encouraged by this news.

The cynic in me looks at what little is being done right now (during a flush time in the parks) and what little concrete news we have in terms of announcements, and what’s been cancelled (after having been announced - SSE, Mary Poppins- or even partially built - festival area and Play! pavilion) that I’m taking very much a wait and see approach on all of this.

Tha Realest

The optimist (and Disney theme park fan) in me is wildly encouraged by this news.

The cynic in me looks at what little is being done right now (during a flush time in the parks) and what little concrete news we have in terms of announcements, and what’s been cancelled (after having been announced - SSE, Mary Poppins- or even partially built - festival area and Play! pavilion) that I’m taking very much a wait and see approach on all of this.
To add more to the optimism pile: this was not a frivolous talking point. They committed to this in an SEC filing. That’s not to say plans won’t change, or that these numbers slightly move the needle over what’s being done now (as set out in the math dropped by @lentesta )

LSLS

Those skeptical of Disney spending $60B in capex over 10 years across all parks and cruiselines, I have a question for you:

Would it be more believable if they announced $30B?

Or would such a figure also invite scoffs of skepticism and lots of "I'll believe it when I see it!"

Because... that's what Disney spent in capex in the previous 10 years.

And in the past 10 years, Disney profits have been rising. And parks and cruise lines have increasingly larger Rates of Investment. Which makes them good things to invest in.

So... why is $60B so unbelievable?
Personally, the numbers aren't wildly unbelievable to me (especially after Len broke it down that it's about 25% above normal). BUT, I do remain skeptical it happens to those numbers due to stock pressures. I also think people are kind of putting their "Believe it when I see it" idea to what is being built as opposed to the money spent. It's more about questioning if this will be some grand expansion as opposed to money spent to refurb/redo current rides (and thus not expanding capacity). Who knows, maybe stuff gets greenlit soon, and we are going to see some great new expansions in 2030.

Disstevefan1

60 Billion in investment in the parks!!!
1695147372726.png
1695147437181.png
1695147553580.png

60 Billion does buy a lot of plywood and paint ;)

Tha Realest

you keep citing this guy.. and every post makes me find him less and less credible.

Anyone paying attention to the real news in the market today? (Psst.. F E D)

The second post is real Nostradamus kinda stuff. "Those that replace the shrinking revenue will end up on top" -- Fascinating!
Yeah, check out his feed sometime. Wildly reactive and emotionally too invested in DIS to be a reputable source.

If your financial advisor is an unapologetic pixie duster, find another advisor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom