News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

UNCgolf

I missed this, but the competitor that Disney seems to be finally waking up to and Universal is pretending doesn’t exist has announced another Perfect Day destination (Costa Maya /Perfect Day Mexico). This one is twice the size of their former one and sounds to be leaning even more into a realized water park this time.

Don’t forget they are also developing a beach club in Cozumel. Which is more boutique. Look for an explosion in this type of itinerary.

View attachment 820541

I still think this is far more relevant than a children’s park in Texas or even Universal GB to going after the golden goose. Simply because their floating theme parks can leave from Port Canaveral.

I don't know -- while there's obviously overlap in terms of people who enjoy both, I don't think a cruise and going to a theme park are similar experiences. I like going to theme parks (although I don't go very often, certainly not compared to many of the people who post here); I have absolutely zero interest whatsoever in a cruise.

I don't think cruises are going to have any noticeable affect on attendance at Disney or Universal.

Unless you're arguing they can potentially cause a hit to Disney cruises specifically -- then yeah, of course.

Andrew25

I don't think cruises are going to have any noticeable affect on attendance at Disney or Universal.

Unless you're arguing they can potentially cause a hit to Disney cruises specifically -- then yeah, of course.
Won't be too noticeable, but certainly affect some demand. A 4-day theme park ticket for a family of four can be the same price as a week long cruise that includes dining.

etc98

I don't know -- while there's obviously overlap in terms of people who enjoy both, I don't think a cruise and going to a theme park are similar experiences. I like going to theme parks (although I don't go very often, certainly not compared to many of the people who post here); I have absolutely zero interest whatsoever in a cruise.

I don’t know, Royal Caribbean certainly seems to think they can compete with the theme park market.

“We feel like we’ve started this transition from being a traditional cruise vacation to being a world-class multi-generational family option that stands shoulder to shoulder with Orlando and Las Vegas and any land-based destination experience that you could mention.”

From this article.

I think with cruises being all inclusive, compared to the increasing complexity and stress of planning a Disney vacation, plus the increasingly theme park like private islands/resorts, I definitely could see people picking a cruise over a theme park vacation.

Bocabear

And when you go on a cruise, the planning is more minimal, meals and snacks are generally included, no having to download a pay app in order to book a restaurant or tour, no getting up at 6:30 am to try and get in a boarding group for the water slide...and ultimately it is way cheaper.....and you are really going someplace......

Jrb1979

And when you go on a cruise, the planning is more minimal, meals and snacks are generally included, no having to download a pay app in order to book a restaurant or tour, no getting up at 6:30 am to try and get in a boarding group for the water slide...and ultimately it is way cheaper.....and you are really going someplace......
While all of that is true, if you're a family like mine, none of that makes a cruise better. The one thing we go to Disney for is attractions and rides.

UNCgolf

My point is that a theme park vacation and a cruise are not close to being the same thing to many people.

Personally, you'd have to pay me to go on a cruise. I don't like anything about them and don't find them remotely similar to visiting a theme park.

They're not exactly a one to one swap even for many people who do enjoy both.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

It’s been argued that it already has affected attendance, which seems to accord with record-high FL tourism but lower Orlando-area tourism.

Do cruises count as part of Florida tourism? People headed there solely to board a cruise aren't really spending money in Florida. I guess there is still a benefit to Florida so it would count, but certainly a much smaller benefit/impact than from someone actually being in Florida for a week or whatever.

I'm sure Florida tourism would prefer other types of visits over people coming in just for a cruise.

Last edited:

Bocabear

Do cruises count as part of Florida tourism? That would feel a little off to me, considering people headed there solely to board a cruise aren't really spending money in Florida.
Well....usually there are flights to Florida, hotel stay before and/or after the cruise... Most people do not fly in the day of the cruise and fly out the day they arrive...Some cruises even stop in Key West (Florida) where they do tours, walk the streets, buy drinks and spend money... so, yeah...it does add to the bottom line of Florida tourism...

LSLS

While all of that is true, if you're a family like mine, none of that makes a cruise better. The one thing we go to Disney for is attractions and rides.
But that's the question. If Royal Carribean is building some sort of a full on Water Park to include with their cruises, does that change things for people? If you get a 5 night cruise, where you get all the rides around the ship, plus a full on park, could that start cutting into the theme parks in Orlando even more (especially once you price out the cruise as a cheaper alternative to the Orlando parks)?

Jrb1979

But that's the question. If Royal Carribean is building some sort of a full on Water Park to include with their cruises, does that change things for people? If you get a 5 night cruise, where you get all the rides around the ship, plus a full on park, could that start cutting into the theme parks in Orlando even more (especially once you price out the cruise as a cheaper alternative to the Orlando parks)?
I don't see it. A water park is not the same as a regular park for one. Two iMO cruising is a niche vacation. A very popular one but there is still many that don't like them.

I feel those Disney fans that love cruising are those who loved Disney for the food, atmosphere and immersiveness.

James Alucobond

I feel those Disney fans that love cruising are those who loved Disney for the food, atmosphere and immersiveness.
Those who love cruising are those who love cruising. Simple as that; it’s a specific audience. I have many friends who are constantly on cruises. It has nothing to do with whether or not people prefer food and atmosphere to attractions. I prefer those to attractions but would still rather not be confined to a boat.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I get the sense you may not have cruised in a while. I’ve been on two Royal Caribbean cruises this year and it feels like you have to live in their app. You need to reserve nearly all entertainment, there are countless restaurants, all of which are an up-charge and have to be reserved and paid for in advance in the app. Make sure you look carefully at that snack menu because not everything is included, many are upcharges. That water park they have a CoCo Cay is an extra charge. Want a cabana at the beach-upcharge. Adults-only area - upcharge. And Royal will tell you they intend to do more of that. They use customization of your experience to describe it. But the days of all inclusive are pretty much gone in the cruise industry. the only place you might find the 'traditional' all-inclusive cruise experience is on the ultra luxury lines.

Last edited:

BrianLo

I’m not talking about 100 percent of the market shifting over. I’m talking about that 10-15% top line.

Even Universal isn’t even close to 1-to-1 for WDW. Making closed loop circuits where the destinations are also curated beach/water parks is certainly a large toe in the Orlando operator land-based market. It also is snow balling a lot quicker than people realize. It’s easy to fart out a ship that can handle 2 million passenger nights annually and sprinkle them all around Orlando. And that’s just Royal!

But beyond that, DCL is part and parcel of experiences and it’s again not that I think RCL is sucking up all the air out of the room, it’s more a hyper fixation from folks about how Disney is going to respond to Epic. When truly the opportunity they’ve been letting get away up until now has been a bigger piece of the cruise market. I think that’s exactly why we’ve gone the way we are. A massive fleet expansion rather than any true whispers of another gate.

There’s tons of money here. Which is why I’m surprised Comcast isn’t even playing.

I don't see it. A water park is not the same as a regular park for one. Two iMO cruising is a niche vacation. A very popular one but there is still many that don't like them.

No one said it’s the same. It’s whether it’s a competitor. They are hardly niche, unless Universal is niche. There’s more passenger cruise nights out of Florida than clicks through Universal. It’s also growing faster than the land based operators.

For every poster that gets apoplectic about the concept of going on a cruise, I guarantee you there is another one that has actually forgone an Orlando theme park annual trip for a cruise, posting here.

Last edited:

etc98

I get the sense you may not have cruised in a while. I’ve been on two Royal this year and it feels like you have to live in their app. You need to reserve nearly all entertainment, there are countless restaurants, all of which are an up-charge and have to be reserved and paid for in advance in the app. Make sure you look carefully at that snack menu because not everything is included, many are upcharges. That water park they have a CoCo Cay is an extra charge. Want a cabana at the beach-upcharge. Adults only area - upcharge. And Royal will tell you they will trend to do more of that. They use customization of your experience to describe it. But the days of all inclusive are pretty much gone in the cruise industry.
That is true. The upcharges are there, and can certainly be tempting, but they’re not required. There’s still plenty you can do for free, and you could absolutely get through a whole cruise without paying for any upcharges.

The app is a different story though, it’s somehow buggier than Disney’s sometimes haha

BrianLo

It's surprising at least to me that Comcast doesn't have any investment in the current cruise market

They are going day trip regional children’s market, which I will lodge my prognostication here, I think this is a mistake.

There isn’t the same money there and the regional market is full of corpses. Not that they’ll be one, per say. But I wish them luck.

doctornick

I missed this, but the competitor that Disney seems to be finally waking up to and Universal is pretending doesn’t exist has announced another Perfect Day destination (Costa Maya /Perfect Day Mexico). This one is twice the size of their former one and sounds to be leaning even more into a realized water park this time.

Don’t forget they are also developing a beach club in Cozumel. Which is more boutique. Look for an explosion in this type of itinerary.

View attachment 820541

I still think this is far more relevant than a children’s park in Texas or even Universal GB to going after the golden goose. Simply because their floating theme parks can leave from Port Canaveral.

I don't know the dynamics that well for some of this stuff but when they announced Lighthouse Point I thought they might make that into a more substantial offering including perhaps a more robust water park and maybe even an actual resort (DVC?) on the island. Since it is actually located on a populated island with airports and such.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom