News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

Advisable Joseph

At the moment, Disney does not plan to build parks in new countries or cities. (In the past, the company looked at building a park in India, for instance, and expanding beyond Hong Kong and Shanghai in China.) .​
Emphasis mine. This doesn't apply to existing resorts, so new parks may be built if necessary for the projects.

Disstevefan1

Seriously, people. Where are they going to put a 5th park? And how much money would they need to invest in the actual land to make it suitable, because there isn't a ton of contiguous acreage for an entire new gate. Not to mention the additional infrastructure that would be needed, additional staff, the timelines these days...
WDW is not going to get a 5th park. WDW won’t even get any meaningful updates as part of this 10 year 60 billion dollar lie.

SteveAZee

Premium Member
I know it's been mentioned before, but I'll bring it up again. CoP and IASW need to be moved to EPCOT. It fits the theme of the park so much better. That would open up so much space for them to do new things that are thematically more appropriate for those areas of the parks.
I think it would be great to see both attractions reimagined and updated for a modern audience. A new version of CoP could be built with a bit more flexibility as it ages, still a carousel, still a family through the ages, plus throw in an homage to Horizons too since (to me) the themes overlapped. Put it in the Play pavilion. :)

Tony the Tigger

I think it would be great to see both attractions reimagined and updated for a modern audience. A new version of CoP could be built with a bit more flexibility as it ages, still a carousel, still a family through the ages, plus throw in an homage to Horizons too since (to me) the themes overlapped. Put it in the Play pavilion. :)
CoP is an attraction unto itself because of the history.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
All of which are on the RCID 2020 CP. They aren't putting in a new park south of WL. Western Way? Don't make me laugh. I know who put out that video and it's balderdash. It serves only the narrow-minded who think Disney would build something which would cannibalize their existing parks, not to mention increase their operating costs dramatically. Please - Move on from the 5th gate delusions.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I think you are misunderstanding my point. In a securities filing today, DIS made a commitment to invest a substantial amount of money into WDW and their other resorts. The amount of money they have committed to an a securities filing is not some cheap marketing ploy, it is a commitment with legal consequences. The amount they committed to invest is over and above building out their existing parks at WDW. My point is $16 billion dollars solely to WDW is an enormous amount of money to simply make Animal Kingdom (for example) a full day park. $8 billion of that investment could make around 6-8 galaxy edge style/size expansions in the parks. I find it less likely they will make even 8 of those expansions at their existing parks without even considering making a 5th gate.

Operationally a 5th park situated near magic kingdom could make use of some of its existing infrastructure or the other option was to convert the Wide World of Sports into a 5th gate as well. With respect to staffing you are looking at the current labor market, not the labor market 10 years from now. Staffing such a park is a concern but you cannot rely on current labor market conditions to decide if you can staff something that will take 5 years at least to complete. If this 5th park was more geared towards a night crowd (with hours of operation from like 2pm-12am for instance) the staffing could be shuffled around a bit as well and help alleviate Magic Kingdom overcrowding.
Company priorities can and do change. There was nothing done today that forces Disney to follow through on anything. Disney likely will be a totally different entity in 2 years.

With regards to the “billions” headed to WDW, you vastly underestimate the cost and bloat associated with Disney projects. Everything is over budget and gets scaled back. Galaxies Edge and the SW hotel cost almost $2B to build….and it was scaled back. Pandora cost $1B and it was scaled back. Epcot was a multibillion project and it was scaled back. In each case it was the operational cost that was the reason. There is simply not enough money available not only to build a new park but to operate it profitably.

TheIceBaron

WDW is not going to get a 5th park. WDW won’t even get any meaningful updates as part of this 10 year 60 billion dollar lie.

Lying in a securities filing is a big no no. I would suggest you look at the document (DIS's 8k filed today) I will link it here for you. Even if there is no 5th park its simply false to say WDW won't get any meaningful updates based on today's securities filing and that the $60 billion investment would be a lie.

https://www.sec.gov/edgar/browse/?CIK=1744489

ppete1975

just give me a walle attraction, an elvis stitch meet and greet, or a new stitch ride that shows the cute side not the evil side ending with elvis stitch, imagination redone, return of dreamfinder, a muppet land, and a fox and the hound ride. also a donald duck ride, a pluto ride
and a duck tales ride with the showbuilding being disguised as scrooge mcducks money bin.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I think you are misunderstanding my point. In a securities filing today, DIS made a commitment to invest a substantial amount of money into WDW and their other resorts. The amount of money they have committed to an a securities filing is not some cheap marketing ploy, it is a commitment with legal consequences. The amount they committed to invest is over and above building out their existing parks at WDW. My point is $16 billion dollars solely to WDW is an enormous amount of money to simply make Animal Kingdom (for example) a full day park. $8 billion of that investment could make around 6-8 galaxy edge style/size expansions in the parks. I find it less likely they will make even 8 of those expansions at their existing parks without even considering making a 5th gate.

Operationally a 5th park situated near magic kingdom could make use of some of its existing infrastructure or the other option was to convert the Wide World of Sports into a 5th gate as well. With respect to staffing you are looking at the current labor market, not the labor market 10 years from now. Staffing such a park is a concern but you cannot rely on current labor market conditions to decide if you can staff something that will take 5 years at least to complete. If this 5th park was more geared towards a night crowd (with hours of operation from like 2pm-12am for instance) the staffing could be shuffled around a bit as well and help alleviate Magic Kingdom overcrowding.

Commitment? There is zero commitment on Disney's part to spend a single dime, particularly in Florida. They don't file SEC documents on where they are going to be spending money.

I have no idea where you are getting your delusions, but they are whoppers.

I'm sure the labor market in Orlando will be flooded with workers who Disney can pick up. Yep. I'm winning the Powerball jackpot this year, too!

ppete1975

I know it's been mentioned before, but I'll bring it up again. CoP and IASW need to be moved to EPCOT. It fits the theme of the park so much better. That would open up so much space for them to do new things that are thematically more appropriate for those areas of the parks.
this isnt roller coaster tycoon where you can point and click or wave a wand and they magically get moved, the cost of moving those attractions has no roi. The cost, time and energy isnt worth it. Let alone not having a iasw for 3-5 years while it is being moved.

And its a small world fits the age group, demographic of the magic kingdom, remember there is a subset that only does magic kingdom and for them and their children iasw is a must have.

Cop would be shuttered before its moved. Its already half empty at times and people have been known to get up half performance and walk out. It only survives due to nostalgia and the fear of the outrage that would happen if they removed it. And thats from a COP fan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom