Disney plans hiring freeze, some jobs cut......

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Far from it, just saying front line roles at parks are usually the last to ever get cut (other than Covid)
You’re in my wheelhouse…

There’s ways around “cuts” that aren’t advertised in the sentinel.

Freeze is first…they lose employees by the day…Comcast will pounce on that weakness.

Eliminate part timers/CT if they still have them next.

Then it’s “rah rah cis boom bah!!!” With college program.

A “buyout” for frontline management is sure to follow. For about $10

There are ways to “cut” while hiding under cover.

Last edited:

yensid67

Well, who didn't see this coming!!?? Chapek comes up with GRAND IDEAS to increase Disney profits, shareholders are happy. Then the TRUE NUMBERS come in and now the Cast Members are going to suffer by the decisions of the executives...maybe if they want to save money, like always, start with the higher ups who are raking in millions of dollars while sitting behind their desks making decisions that hurt their front-line workers!

This is why I REORGANIZED/REPLANNED my next trip to be based around the other theme parks and attractions! Disney is not what it used to be!

CaptainAmerica

With more than 70k people working at WDW, 60 current front line job openings certainly isn't a hiring spree but more like a cutback. In fact, don't they lose more than that thru attrition?
This situation has absolutely nothing to do with frontline Parks. If you're a costumed cast member, you're not even going to notice that anything is happening.

CaptainAmerica

Well, who didn't see this coming!!?? Chapek comes up with GRAND IDEAS to increase Disney profits, shareholders are happy. Then the TRUE NUMBERS come in and now the Cast Members are going to suffer by the decisions of the executives...maybe if they want to save money, like always, start with the higher ups who are raking in millions of dollars while sitting behind their desks making decisions that hurt their front-line workers!
VPs and Directors in Burbank ought to be much more nervous today than ride operators at Space Mountain. They're doing exactly what you're accusing them of not doing.

"The reason why maintenance and park upkeep is so bad is due to a lack of employees. Our solution? Fire MORE employees!"

I find it terrifying that we're stuck with Chapek for years to come.
Swing and a miss.

CaptainAmerica

Chapek talked about 3 areas:

1. Content and marketing spending, i.e. stop spending a fortune on crappy shows that nobody wants and doesn't drive revenue.

2. Freeze on new headcount. This has nothing to do with frontline Parks.

3. SG&A costs. That's marketing, finance, accounting, HR, T&E, overhead, admin, miscellaneous supplies, IT. Again, NOT freaking ride maintenance and guest relations. Operational costs are the exact opposite of S&GA costs. We're talking about cubicle people, not costume people.

Lilofan

You’re in my wheelhouse…

There’s ways around “cuts” that aren’t advertised in the sentinel.

Freeze is first…they lose employees by the day…Comcast will pounce on that weakness.

Eliminate part timers/CT if they still have them next.

Then it’s “rah rah cis boom bah!!!” With college program.

A “buyout” for frontline management is sure to follow. For about $10

There are way to “cut” while hiding under cover.
Anywhere can be cut. The survivors may just have more on their plate to manage and just make it happen.

Lilofan

Chapek talked about 3 areas:

1. Content and marketing spending, i.e. stop spending a fortune on crappy shows that nobody wants and doesn't drive revenue.

2. Freeze on new headcount. This has nothing to do with frontline Parks.

3. SG&A costs. That's marketing, finance, accounting, HR, T&E, overhead, admin, miscellaneous supplies, IT. Again, NOT freaking ride maintenance and guest relations. Operational costs are the exact opposite of S&GA costs. We're talking about cubicle people, not costume people.
IT has been outsourced to overseas to third parties years ago unless one knows more.

Lilofan

A "lever" like dynamic staffing based on (falling) park attendance certainly does have something to do with frontline parks and costumed cast members.
So how much is the performance payout bonuses of execs to make the restructuring successfully happen ? Curious minds want to know.

TheMaxRebo

The main get in that entire deal is xmen and FF for MCU…and avatar but I don’t know what the Cameron partnership deal is?

That’s really it…the rest is unspectacular at best

Feels like the goal with the rest was quantity vs quality, but feels like a big overspend for what they got (especially compared to what they paid for Lucasfilm, etc)

Piebald

Lots of companies cutting jobs right now. I was recently laid off from a huge company with huge cuts but Twitter and Meta really stole the spotlight while some of these other (equally massive and well known) companies probably sighing a breath of relief the media hasn't picked up on it.

Unfortunately some of my coworkers are applying/interviewing at Disney now so hopefully theyll be ok

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom