News Disney Park Pass System announced for Walt Disney World theme park reservations

Krandor

So if this is truly a lack of attendance thing why would they wait until 2024?
Most likely because packages for 2024 don't go on sale until end of this month I believe so this gives time for people to know what the deal is going to be for next year before booking packages.

It is also interesting that they are not starting this until after marathon weekend I guess because they figure people who have already registered for the races are already "locked in" on rooms even if they can't officially reserve them yet. (though my TA already kinda has and I am sure is not alone).

Krandor

I've tried to explain to people before. If I buy the dining plan and pay for it in the cost of my package, then I don't think at all about food choices while I'm there. (Except for anything separate from the dining plan, of course.) I just get what I want and don't worry about it. But if I pay cash, even if I've budgeted a set amount ahead of time, even if I've put that amount on a gift card for food, I will be thinking about the amount every time I make a purchase. I'll be paying attention to the prices instead of the rest of the menu. And my experience won't be the same.

Maybe that's illogical. Maybe that's a failing on my part. But that's the way my mind works. Guaranteed.

Nothing wrong with that. My opinion on the dining plan has ways been it has been a "budgeting tool" since you pay in advance moreso then a "save you money tool"

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
I mean, not really.

Making a resort reservation and buying tickets *is* committing to certain dates.

Buying date-specific tickets *is* commiting to certain dates.

Passholders have to make reservations because they're the only ones who don't have to commit to specific dates at the time they purchase their admission entitlement.
But even with date-specific tickets Disney doesn't know exactly what days someone will use the ticket. As an example, on a 4 day ticket Disney doesn't know what 4 days of a 7 day period you'll use that ticket. But it’s okay to not know exactly because Disney knows there are historical trends when those tickets will be used.

So Disney *should* extend similar knowledge to AP holders on reservatioms. While not all passholders are in a park on a day with a resort reservation, Disney *should* know what percentage of annual passholders onnresoet reservations visit a park on any particular day. It seems reasonable to just bake that number into calculations to have a very good idea how many resort reservation passholders are likely to be in a park on a given day. But of course this requires data from two systems, ticketing and resorts, to be married and it wouldn't surprise me if Disney actually doesn't have the data available.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
But even with date-specific tickets Disney doesn't know exactly what days someone will use the ticket. As an example, on a 4 day ticket Disney doesn't know what 4 days of a 7 day period you'll use that ticket. But it’s okay to not know exactly because Disney knows there are historical trends when those tickets will be used.

So Disney *should* extend similar knowledge to AP holders on reservatioms. While not all passholders are in a park on a day with a resort reservation, Disney *should* know what percentage of annual passholders onnresoet reservations visit a park on any particular day. It seems reasonable to just bake that number into calculations to have a very good idea how many resort reservation passholders are likely to be in a park on a given day. But of course this requires data from two systems, ticketing and resorts, to be married and it wouldn't surprise me if Disney actually doesn't have the data available.
There's already a separate inventory of park reservations for APs with resort reservations, and they basically never sell out.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Will they have enough cast members to handle this?
The only reason they’re doing this is to increase profits with fewer people…it’s a damage control move for sure.
Dining is down. I was there over Easter, it was not hard to get day-of reservations even at some of the really popular restaurants.
You can get anything at almost any point in the booking window right now. It’s massively down.

Maybe huge prices and less Covid spreading around cash hit home?

Nah…Bob is smarter than that 🤪

tanc

Best news I've heard in a long time. I was skeptical if it was here to stay forever. Hopefully park hopping is changed as well, but still a huge step forward

Disstevefan1

Somebody fact check me, but starting in 2024, only dated entry tickets will not require PPRs

APs will only get some "Good to Go" days on the calendar that do not require PPRs.

APs must still check the calendar and may need to get a PPR.

JD80

Curious how they are going to handle VQs. From the WDW website:

• Guests visiting from another theme park using an Annual Pass or the Park Hopper option may not be able to join the virtual queue in a park where they do not have a theme park reservation. In order to request access to a virtual queue during Park Hopper hours, a Guest must be inside the theme park where the virtual queue will be used.
If you do not need a theme park reservation anymore what will Disney do to stop people squatting on BGs? Wake up at 7AM get a BG then decide to go to another park later and that BG goes to waste.

I can also see them not caring and let anyone get one and if the lines are light, they can just drop more invites throughout the day and teach people to keep checking.

Jrb1979

Somebody fact check me, but starting in 2024, only dated entry tickets will not require PPRs

APs will only get some "Good to Go" days on the calendar that do not require PPRs.

APs must still check the calendar and may need to get a PPR.
AP holders will still have to make reservations even if they stay on-site.

gerarar

Premium Member
Curious how they are going to handle VQs. From the WDW website:

• Guests visiting from another theme park using an Annual Pass or the Park Hopper option may not be able to join the virtual queue in a park where they do not have a theme park reservation. In order to request access to a virtual queue during Park Hopper hours, a Guest must be inside the theme park where the virtual queue will be used.
If you do not need a theme park reservation anymore what will Disney do to stop people squatting on BGs? Wake up at 7AM get a BG then decide to go to another park later and that BG goes to waste.

I can also see them not caring and let anyone get one and if the lines are light, they can just drop more invites throughout the day and teach people to keep checking.
That's why I have a feeling they're (somewhat) going to revert back to the old VQ rules, where a guest must scan into a park first before joining the VQ to get a BG. And maybe the release of BGs happens at official park opening instead of the predefined 7am drop.

That or VQ is going away altogether by January 2024. I mean CR is about to turn 1 year old and Tron will also be 8 months old at that point.

But going forward for any new major attraction opening, the VQ system will need another overhaul once park reservations go away. Tiana's Bayou Adventure will be the first one on deck so we'll see by then.

Big T 1963

Some Dining Plans are returning.

And it sounds like pre-booking G+ rides will also return. But still paid for, not free.
I can't believe it !!! I heard the news and the Dining Plan is coming back yes!!!! We've been heard !!! I am saving my pennies for a 2024 return

JD80

I very much doubt VQs will go away. Either everything stays the same regardless of reservation or it's on park entry. Anything else seems convoluted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom