News Disney Park Pass System announced for Walt Disney World theme park reservations

ToTBellHop

As an avid pixie duster, even I would not spend today's prices at those crowd levels. It started getting bonkers.
Exactly. It will already cost more to stay on site, to get into the park, to get Genie+, to eat at a buffet…and it is one thing to pay that for special fireworks. But with dangerous crowds, many complain or request refunds.

Don’t get me wrong. It’ll be crowded. But there won’t be hour-long queues for the PeopleMover.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"A pair of Florida residents are suing Disney, claiming the company is unfairly treating its annual passholders who cannot get reservations into the park.

Annual passholders must make advance reservations, even if their passes have no blockout dates. But the lawsuit filed anonymously by an Orange County resident “M.P.” and Palm Beach County resident “E.K.” says on some days, reservation slots are full for passholders while Disney continues to sell single-day tickets to welcome in other guests.

“Disney’s conduct is a predatory business practice, aimed at exploiting the customers who support it the most, its annual pass holders. Disney abused a global pandemic to take advantage of its own loyal customers and increase its revenue,” said the lawsuit filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court’s Orlando division.

According to the lawsuit, M.P. paid $633 per pass for her and her family, while E.K.’s pass was on a monthly installment plan of about $68 per month. Both had been going to Disney World for years and bought their passes with the expectation they could get access 365 days a year and not have to plan their trips in advance.

Disney was sued in similar fashion by unhappy Disneyland annual passholders in 2021. The lawsuit is still ongoing.

Neither Disney nor the attorneys representing M.P. and E.K. responded to a request for comment Wednesday.

Disney has lifted the majority of its COVID-19 restrictions as Disney World, but the reservation system remains one of the measures born out of 2020.

Disney has indicated the reservation system isn’t likely to end anytime soon.

In March 2022, Walt Disney Company’s chief financial officer Christine McCarthy made it clear the reservation system was an important part of park operations.

“Now, we needed that (reservation system) when we were limited — severely limited in capacity, when the government restrictions were such that you could only allow 10%, 20%, 25%,” McCarthy said at a financial conference.

“But then we saw that we could actually use this, even when the restrictions were lifted, that we know how many people are going to the park on a given day. And if they filled up a certain amount or how many reservations would be left for people just walking up at the last minute, but it allows us to better balance load throughout the year, throughout the week, throughout the month.”

Some Disney fans have felt slighted over the company’s attitude toward their annual passes.

“Typically, someone who travels and stays for five days to seven days is marginally more valuable to the business than someone who comes in on an annual pass and stays a day or two and consumes less merchandise and food and beverage,” Disney CEO Bob Chapek said in 2020.

However, Disney’s strategy is pleasing Wall Street. The parks are big moneymakers coming out of the pandemic despite limiting attendance and not selling new annual passes."

DisneyDebRob

"A pair of Florida residents are suing Disney, claiming the company is unfairly treating its annual passholders who cannot get reservations into the park.

Annual passholders must make advance reservations, even if their passes have no blockout dates. But the lawsuit filed anonymously by an Orange County resident “M.P.” and Palm Beach County resident “E.K.” says on some days, reservation slots are full for passholders while Disney continues to sell single-day tickets to welcome in other guests.

“Disney’s conduct is a predatory business practice, aimed at exploiting the customers who support it the most, its annual pass holders. Disney abused a global pandemic to take advantage of its own loyal customers and increase its revenue,” said the lawsuit filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court’s Orlando division.

According to the lawsuit, M.P. paid $633 per pass for her and her family, while E.K.’s pass was on a monthly installment plan of about $68 per month. Both had been going to Disney World for years and bought their passes with the expectation they could get access 365 days a year and not have to plan their trips in advance.

Disney was sued in similar fashion by unhappy Disneyland annual passholders in 2021. The lawsuit is still ongoing.

Neither Disney nor the attorneys representing M.P. and E.K. responded to a request for comment Wednesday.

Disney has lifted the majority of its COVID-19 restrictions as Disney World, but the reservation system remains one of the measures born out of 2020.

In March 2022, Walt Disney Company’s chief financial officer Christine McCarthy made it clear the reservation system was an important part of park operations.

“Now, we needed that (reservation system) when we were limited — severely limited in capacity, when the government restrictions were such that you could only allow 10%, 20%, 25%,” McCarthy said at a financial conference.

“But then we saw that we could actually use this, even when the restrictions were lifted, that we know how many people are going to the park on a given day. And if they filled up a certain amount or how many reservations would be left for people just walking up at the last minute, but it allows us to better balance load throughout the year, throughout the week, throughout the month.”

Some Disney fans have felt slighted over the company’s attitude toward their annual passes.

“Typically, someone who travels and stays for five days to seven days is marginally more valuable to the business than someone who comes in on an annual pass and stays a day or two and consumes less merchandise and food and beverage,” Disney CEO Bob Chapek said in 2020.

However, Disney’s strategy is pleasing Wall Street. The parks are big moneymakers coming out of the pandemic despite limiting attendance and not selling new annual passes."

I think they have a case. Ever since the lawsuit in Disneyland was filed I’ve tried to keep up with it. I think Disney needed to somehow change the wording on the AP tickets and website which they didn’t. I think it’s actually a strong case. We will see if big corporation wins again.

JoeCamel

And that folks is how you do the mouse's work for him and kill the APs

Disstevefan1

And that folks is how you do the mouse's work for him and kill the APs
Agreed.

Just like how DLR solved the “no blackout” issue by adding blackouts to their top tier APs they will do the same for the top tier APs at WDW but first, they will totally halt the current WDW AP program for everyone, even those who kept renewing in order to keep the top tier, and create a “new” top tier WDW AP available only to those who kept renewing.

I am guessing the new top tier WDW AP will for sure have blackouts, probably from Dec. 21 thru after the new year.

Don’t say they won’t because they did it at DLR and APs were far more important over there.

Gringrinngghost

Last edited:

Disney Glimpses

To control staffing so they don’t have to increase it by so much at the holidays (but it will still increase). There’s really no overall benefit to allowing bonkers crowds. It costs a lot to hire those workers (if they could even find them) and guest ratings plummet. No one wants a situation where people are peeing in the bushes.

They do not ever plan to return to NYE 2019 crowd levels. If a person wants in, book ahead.
Yep, they've finally figured out that when they limit attendance, people just visit during another time. It's really hard to move product (merchandise, food) when the lines are six miles long.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agreed.

Just like how DLR solved the “no blackout” issue by adding blackouts to their top tier APs they will do the same for the top tier APs at WDW but first, they will totally halt the current WDW AP program for everyone, even those who kept renewing in order to keep the top tier, and create a “new” top tier WDW AP available only to those who kept renewing.

I am guessing the new top tier WDW AP will for sure have blackouts, probably from Dec. 21 thru after the new year.

Don’t say they won’t because they did it at DLR and APs were far more important over there.
That’s not what’s gonna happen. There won’t be a “grandfathered in” tier. That would be financially stupid. They would sell prices designed for the highest bidder.

Disstevefan1

That’s not what’s gonna happen. There won’t be a “grandfathered in” tier. That would be financially stupid. They would sell prices designed for the highest bidder.
True. I was being too optimistic.

All WDW APs will be cancelled.
A totally new WDW AP program introduced all tiers will be higher cost, various perks removed, all tiers will have blackout days.
Right now, all levels of WDW APs had free parking.
I truly think that will be going away for all tiers except the top, very expensive tier, AND park pass reservations are here to stay.

And this new top tier WDW AP, oh boy is this going to cost you!

This was going to happen at WDW anyway, this lawsuit will just speed it up.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member

A totally new WDW AP program introduced all tiers will be higher cost, various perks removed.
I truly think that will be going away for all tiers except the top, very expensive tier, AND park pass reservations are here to stay.

Can they cancel existing APs?

SingleRider

A totally new WDW AP program introduced all tiers will be higher cost, various perks removed.

I can't see them removing parking as a benefit. Many AP holders visit often and would know how to get free parking by various methods, including parking at Disney Springs.

Disstevefan1

I can't see them removing parking as a benefit. Many AP holders visit often and would know how to get free parking by various methods, including parking at Disney Springs.
I totally see them taking that away for all tiers except the top tier.
I was very surprised (when they existed for purchase) that all tiers of WDW APs had free parking.

The one that remains for purchase I call a parking pass not an AP , LOL

ToTBellHop

Wasn't that during the shutdown though? Not sure they could get away with that now without a riot on their hands.
They would not. If they need to update the wording of the AP contract, they will. I’m surprised they didn’t already. They did at DLR.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom