Disney or the rest of the world?

TchaikovskyVCID

Account Suspended
colliera said:
As an art major and geography minor I know a lot about the other cultures, histories, etc. Some how I don't feel cheated by not going to the real locations. That's not to say there isn't a profound difference. There IS a difference is viewing an actual work of art vs. looking at a plate in an art history book. Like watching the videos of my Disney vacation and being in the park.

That's like saying you watched the movie so you know all there is to know about the book.

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path"
-Morpheus

TchaikovskyVCID

Account Suspended
Rotel1026 said:
Christina said:
You're nice, nationalistic people for the most parts, but your not perfect people. Perhaps I am generalizing.

Maybe the rest of the world will be better off with you staying.

I love Disney. But I go to Disneyworld to have FUN.

I just feel that many of you haven't had the experiences, and (the scariest thing is) you don't seem to WANT to experience these things, which seems to me ignorant. Sorry, there's no nice way to say it.
So I read your profile and you are only 18 and claim to be very opinionated. You should add that you apparently know what is best for everyone as well since you apparently feel you know what is best for people to do with their time and money.

Americans never have claimed to be perfect. If you do think Americans think they are perfect, then your perception is flawed and is not coming from your average everyday American citizen but rather what you might see of our politicians and CEO's. I've yet to see anyone on this board claim they are perfect.

If you're as self righteous as you are on these boards when you visit other countries, I'd venture to say that the world is better off with you staying home as well.

So now that's the smartest thing you've said so far but for some reason, you feel people on this board are going to Disney for some other reason than to just have fun. Why is that? Why is it if someone's made a statement about thier preference for how they spend their time and money, you are willign to judge them for it as being ignorant or stupid or some other ridiculous insult? Some people seem to have problems with the "what if" portion of this question. No one is ever going to be faced with an ultimatum of being able to travel only to Disney or to the rest of the world, it's a "what if" excercise. As it is, most of the people on this board travel to WDW much more than anywhere else, but that does not mean people on here have never traveled outside of the US and it does not mean they have no desire to or never will. It only means that they know what they enjoy, and have made a decision based on that to use their free time and disposable income to do it. Why do you feel that makes you superior? Why is it that there's been bashing from the people who feel it's stupid to choose Disney when none of the people who have chosen Disney are calling the people who have chosen to be world travelers names like ignorant, uneducated, pathetic, etc?

And as for your final point, you're just being judgmental. There are tons of people, not only Americans, who never travel outside of their own country. It sounds like you are fortunate to have parents with the means to allow you to travel the world and that's great for you. I never made it out of my homestate of Texas til I was 16 and the only other country I've visited is Mexico. I do hope to see more of the world someday and for me Disneyworld is a fun trip. It's not a vacation about fantasy, it's a vacation about relaxing and doing something I enjoy. I am not trying to escape reality by going there as it seems you might think people who chose Disney are.

One final thing, since are you so busy learning life lessons on all your worldly travels, I hope you manage to learn two major lessons. First off, I hope you learn to be less judgemental and more accepting of other peoples opinions. Secondly, I hope you figure out that you really don't know everything about the world, that one is usually inevitable for people your age. You've taken a topic that was meant to be all in fun and managed to insult most of the people on this board by calling us pathetic and managed to generalize most Americans as pretty ugly people. I hope you're proud of yourself.

Wow. Way to prove her freaking point.

TchaikovskyVCID

Account Suspended
pluto77 said:
That's all nice for you, but what you don't seem to understand is that for some people there's not a DAY that goes by that their not thinking about their next trip to Disney World, their kids faces when they enter the gates, and the whole magical atmosphere. You're pretty lucky to have been able to travel that much, especially at your age. Most people wouldn't be able to spend thousands of dollars on something that would compare to blowing bubbles on the back porch with their dog.

Well don't you just fit the cookiecutter stereotype. "The looks on my kid's faces" yada yada yada. I think it says something profound about her character that her decisions about what's important aren't swayed by monetary value.

TchaikovskyVCID

Account Suspended
TiggerRPh said:
You know...I'm more than twice your age...yes, old enough to be your father...in fact I have a 19 year old son in college, but he's certainly more polite than you.

We've gone to WDW/Disneyland 15 times since 1990...yes, we go every year to one of the parks....I remember every trip.

I have to wonder...as been stated...why you bother to go back at all if -

...it's one big trip
...you learn no life lessons

I also wonder why you've spent enough time here on these boards to have over 200 posts if you think the way you do about most of us...why associate with us.

By the way....how about spending some time paying attention in English class and learn how to spell...

...it's whether...not weather (weather is what's going on outside)
...it's diarrhea not direaeah (whatever that is)

On the boards how and what you write gives people an impression of yourself...and frankly, you're coming off as a self-centered, ignorant, brat.

Today children, we're going to learn the definition of the word politeness. Tomorrow's word will be hipocrisy.

TchaikovskyVCID

Account Suspended
garyhoov said:
Christina, just a few, quick points:

1. Canada is part of North America, therefore Canadians are Americans.

2. I find it ironic that you were doing a report on fascism since any good fascist system starts by dividing people along economic, political, ethnic, nationalistic etc. lines: "We are people Y. We have not only a right but an obligation to dominate people X, because people X are . . . " What you are doing here is exactly that kind of division and generalization.

3. People of the United States are not "boycotting" Cuba. There are federal restrictions on travel and trade with Cuba. A "boycott" would be an individual choice not to buy goods or services of a company or country that has policies that the individual disagrees with. The federal restrictions on travel and trade with Cuba come from a complex political situation. We have a number of people living in this country who used to live in Cuba - many of whom saw or heard about parents or other relatives who were killed or held captive by Fidel Castro for expressing dissent with his policies. Those people will strongly oppose any efforts to normalize relations with Cuba until Castro is dead or removed from power. Since those people feel strongly enough about the subject to vote out of office any politician who attempts to normalize relations with Cuba, you will likely not see normalization any time soon.

4. There is a difference between being "well traveled" and being "worldly". Being "well traveled" requires time and money. Being "worldly" requires wisdom.

:brick:

TchaikovskyVCID

Account Suspended
ogryn said:
I guess so! :lol: It may even induce....

"She's a witch, burn 'er"
villager.gif

:lol:

...and then children after hipocrisy we will study the word McCarthyism

Rotel1026

TchaikovskyVCID said:
...and then children after hipocrisy we will study the word McCarthyism

Wow, another teenager on the boards here to tell us all about the world and how all our own choices are wrong. And you learned everything in the world there is to know by living in Sewer, NJ?

By the way, did you really need to quote every single person instead of just making one post that addressed everyone's points? Then again, you're so eloquent..."must not feel good being owned", "way to prove her point", blah blah blah... Enlightening posts, all of them. :hammer:

TchaikovskyVCID

Account Suspended
Rotel1026 said:
Wow, another teenager on the boards here to tell us all about the world and how all our own choices are wrong. And you learned everything in the world there is to know by living in Sewer, NJ?

By the way, did you really need to quote every single person instead of just making one post that addressed everyone's points? Then again, you're so eloquent..."must not feel good being owned", "way to prove her point", blah blah blah... Enlightening posts, all of them. :hammer:

Because making a play on my hometown's name really makes you look superior.

I did it just to aggravate you. Is it working?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom