Disney Officially Confirms Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Underperformed

TROR

Honestly, we're not as far apart on this as you might think. The only difference is I'm not advocating that they spend the money and time to demolish and replace a brand new attraction (even if it has substantial unrealized potential) before starting with a new one. (And we both know they won't do that.) There's room for a third attraction/phase 2 without doing anything to Falcon. Roll with that currently.
Personally I'd like to see the expansion space used for a new Star Tours.

mickEblu

Personally I'd like to see the expansion space used for a new Star Tours.

A ha! I knew that’s where you were going with this. A line up of ROTR/ Star Tours/ and the thrill ride would be great. It ll never happen though after the gazillion dollars they just spent to give us this mediocre experience. You re talking about the cost rebuilding Star Tours (a 30+ year old ride) in a new land in addition to the 250 million for a new ride plus them admitting defeat and abandoning a new ride they just spent God knows how much money on.

I do like that @wdwpro said the more likely scenario was a new thrill ride. I don’t need a new damn story for the land. I don’t care.

britain

EDIT: Oops! Didn't realize I had said "Thor" instead of @TROR . Dang Marvel, it's everywhere!

Last edited:

TROR

A ha! I knew that’s where you were going with this. A line up of ROTR/ Star Tours/ and the thrill ride would be great. It ll never happen though after the gazillion dollars they just spent to give us this mediocre experience. You re talking about the cost rebuilding Star Tours (a 30+ year old ride) in a new land in addition to the 250 million for a new ride plus them admitting defeat and abandoning a new ride they just spent God knows how much money on.

I do like that @wdwpro said the more likely scenario was a new thrill ride. I don’t need a new damn story for the land. I don’t care.
Star Tours does have the luxury of already having the ride vehicles which is where most of the money goes to. Threepio and Artoo can easily be transferred, same for the G2 droids. Of course the building will have to be reconstructed, but that's how much at most at most - $5m? $10m? How expensive can a building actually be? Moving Star Tours, in my mind, seems like the cheapest and easiest route possible to help the land.

Look how ridiculously large that Falcon building is. Such a waste of a footprint.

mickEblu

Star Tours does have the luxury of already having the ride vehicles which is where most of the money goes to. Threepio and Artoo can easily be transferred, same for the G2 droids. Of course the building will have to be reconstructed, but that's how much at most at most - $5m? $10m? How expensive can a building actually be? Moving Star Tours, in my mind, seems like the cheapest and easiest route possible to help the land.

Considering what their overlays cost or rides like TLM cost it can be a lot! With that said I’d be completely on board.

TROR

Pfft - The Falcon was great, my favorite simulator ever, and the favorite of any kind of ride for a few of my kids.
What is it your kids like about the ride? I imagine it's a combination of being in the Falcon and pushing buttons. If they had just built the Falcon has a walkthrough, that could still be accomplished. Adds capacity to the land, satisfies everyone who wants to be in the Falcon, gives Haunt his ramp, doesn't take a massive footprint in the landlocked Disneyland. It's a win all around to just have the Falcon be a walkthrough.

britain

What is it your kids like about the ride? I imagine it's a combination of being in the Falcon and pushing buttons. If they had just built the Falcon has a walkthrough, that could still be accomplished. Adds capacity to the land, satisfies everyone who wants to be in the Falcon, gives Haunt his ramp, doesn't take a massive footprint in the landlocked Disneyland. It's a win all around to just have the Falcon be a walkthrough.

The thrill of jumping to lightspeed! The competition! The grief they give each other if one of them crashes! The satisfaction of knowing we succeeded because of what we individually did, not because Threepio & R2 were steering the whole time. I can't see any inherent downside to this ride, especially since it has flexibility for more missions in the future.

mickEblu

The thrill of jumping to lightspeed! The competition! The grief they give each other if one of them crashes! The satisfaction of knowing we succeeded because of what we individually did, not because Threepio & R2 were steering the whole time. I can't see any inherent downside to this ride, especially since it has flexibility for more missions in the future.

I agree with you on paper but in reality I’ve been on the Falcon 4x and I’m one ride away from writing it off until a new mission is introduced. I didn’t even walk into SWL yesterday.

I just think any ride where only 2 of the 6 riders are having fun is fundamentally flawed.

TROR

I can definitely see how a large family or group of friends can have fun on this attraction, but not everyone is a large family or group of friends. It's too small of a target audience for an attraction of this size.

britain

I do personally feel that any simulator is always going to be at a disadvantage compared to a real ride. I just think that as soon as multiple random missions get added to MF, then there will be no reason spare Star Tours the wrecking ball.

TROR

I do personally feel that any simulator is always going to be at a disadvantage compared to a real ride. I just think that as soon as multiple random missions get added to MF, then there will be no reason spare Star Tours the wrecking ball.
I don't know how much more missions can really save, though, if the ride still only lets 2/6 riders pilot the Falcon. If they increase the movement of the simulation, then maybe it'd be more fun.
@wdwpro said $250 million. That's about the cost of the Slinky Dog coaster so don't get your hopes up.
How do they manage to waste so much money?

LanceQ

What is remotely fun about a walk-through? Smuggler's Run HAS a walk-through. You get to see, what, 90% of the parts of the Falcon we actually saw in the films? It's a very thorough walk-through that ALSO has a ride and a narrative.

LanceQ

Also are they going to add some more entertainment and life to the land before they make their assessment? Seems like the timing of their assessment is off with ROTR barely opening at the end of January. Unless of course they plan on adding a lot of entertainment / streetmosphere to the land between now and then? I’m pretty sure they ll see what they want out of ROTR.

These really are the elements the land needs more of and fast. What they have is great, but they need to massively increase the character presence, show elements, etc. A FO parade would be great, droids would be great, vehicles would be great, the Moradi stunt show is a must, the bounty hunter, etc.

Many of these are already planned, so they need to get on it, asap.

mickEblu

@wdwpro said $250 million. That's about the cost of the Slinky Dog coaster so don't get your hopes up.

What would a modern Space Mountain with a launch cost? That’s more or less what it would be with maybe a big Death Star Prop or star destroyer in there. The rest would be projections, lighting, music etc.

TROR

What is remotely fun about a walk-through? Smuggler's Run HAS a walk-through. You get to see, what, 90% of the parts of the Falcon we actually saw in the films? It's a very thorough walk-through that ALSO has a ride and a narrative.
What’s fun about sitting in the back of a vibrating room while two other strangers pilot? People’s biggest praise, from what I’ve seen, is that it feels like you’re on the Falcon. If that’s all it has going for it, it doesn’t need so much land. The narrative is weak and so is the ride. They’re not worth the amount of land the ride takes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom