News Disney offers to pay union members at least $15 by 2021

Gringrinngghost

Original Poster
$15/hr in 2021 will be like minimum wage in relation to inflation. What a joke. The U.S. is seriously screwing with wage workers, costs go up, wages stay the same.
If it's worth anything, it's now 1hr of pay for an Attractions Attendant at Universal to park in the parking garage at the Premium Outlets. Secondly, it's about 2hrs just for lunch at Disney...

Gringrinngghost

Original Poster
Does anyone know what they planned to give each year? like a buck a year or is it more end loaded? and what else are they wanting to take away besides overtime?
If would be approved this year, It would be 2.50/yr to meet at 2021 - just doing simple math. I do worry about SeaWorld if this does happen... they'll need to be bought out at that point.

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

When I saw the title of this thread, my first thought was, "Great! But I wonder what they will have to give up to get it?" And that was confirmed in the article text. Very curious to see what will need to be given up to get $15/hr to start in 2021. This likely will not be a short negotiating process.
I believe Pete on DISUnplugged said there was talk of a strike around the opening of TSL.

Tom P.

If I slammed your profession you wouldn't take it personal?
No, I wouldn't. I am in the IT field. People make jokes about IT people all the time. I take them for what they are... jokes. I certainly don't think of them as a personal slam against me.

The "bus drivers spreading misinformation" thing is a common joke around Disney fan forums. And that's all it is. A joke. Based on a few instances of a few bus drivers saying outlandish things. No one thinks that's actually the norm or that there's anything wrong with the bus drivers at Disney. My family and I have ridden many, many Disney buses and always find the drivers to be pleasant and professional, as I am sure you are.

Bottom line: it was just a joke.

Tom P.

There is no such animal in CBA' s known as merit raises.
This is pretty standard for most union contracts. In general, union contracts require everyone to be treated the same. They are specifically designed to avoid individual salary variations based on performance or any other factor other than -- typically -- seniority. Some people see that as a good thing about union jobs, others see them as a bad thing. But it's certainly not something that's unique to Disney.

disneyflush

Businesses usually try like heck to avoid overtime situations. It puts undue stress on the general workforce and the additional pay for those hours puts the wage numbers way out of wack. Wind up burning out your best workers and not being able to replace them at anywhere near that level of competency.

Rumrunner

From Local6:
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. - They've been negotiating for almost a year, but Disney and the unions that represent 38,000 of its workers could be making serious progress toward striking a deal on a wage increase.

The unions have been demanding a minimum wage of $15 an hour, and Disney is now offering to meet that demand by 2021.

But the unions said it's not a done deal yet, because Disney wants to re-negotiate other terms in their contract, such as overtime pay.

Unionized Disney employees huddled around a table into the evening, discussing the latest offer Disney presented Tuesday.

"The company has given us a proposal. They've given an offer today," said Angie McKinnon of Unite Here Local 737. "Our bargaining committee is reviewing it. At this time, we have no further comment."

Disney confirmed that it offered to pay the employees at least $15 per hour by 2021 and said it wants to re-negotiate certain terms in the contract as part of that offer.

"It's on the table, but we have to give certain things back to the company to enable us to get that money," said Bob Harris, a Walt Disney World bus driver.

Since last summer, unions have staged a number of boisterous demonstrations.

In December, members rejected Disney's offer of an annual 3 percent raise with a minimum of 50 cents per hour and a $200 ratification bonus.

Even though the company has upped the offer, union members aren't all ready to jump on the deal.

"The tax breaks are permanent. The company now knows the tax structure, the tax liability they have into the future," said Shawn Britton of Teamsters Local 385. "There's no reason why they cannot offer a really good raise."

The unions said no date has been set to return to the bargaining table to try to iron out their differences, and it's unknown if the unions will present the offer to their members for a vote.

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/disney-offers-to-pay-union-members-at-least-15-by-2021/742337642
It seems Disney workers are worth more than the lower level employees at other companies. I have rarely seen anything but professionalism from my interactions with Disney CM, staff, and personnel. They are an important part of the Disney experience.

Rumrunner

With all due respect, you don't know what you're talking about. Take a look at one of those annual raise statements some time. It says "merit increase" right there on the page.

Not to mention that it's very easy for even entry-level people to get promoted to trainers, which comes with a wage increase and is another form of career advancement.
With all due respect who made you the expert. You are good at insulting people I will give you credit for that. Cut us some slack and respect others opinion for a change.

tribbleorlfl

$15/hr in 2021 will be like minimum wage in relation to inflation. What a joke. The U.S. is seriously screwing with wage workers, costs go up, wages stay the same.
That is demonstrably false. Assuming a conservative 4% annual inflation rate, $15 in 2021 would still be nearly double the Federal Minimum Wage, $4 more than the current starting WDW wage and almost $2 more than the "living wage" for the Orlando/Kissimmee metro area. If the union is telling you this, than you need to fire your finance guy and cut the hyperbole.

I think the workers were right to vote down the previous 3% offer, as @CaptainAmerica stated, that would essentially equal a COLA and would not represent any real wage growth for the CM's. However, on its face this revised offer is suprisingly generous and the union should take it seriously. Obviously, they will have to factor the takeaways (aside from the mentioned overtime rules, whatever that may entail, I wouldn't be surprised to see some medical and ancillary benefit concessions included) into the overall package, but on a wage basis alone, this seems more than fair.

mm52200

That is demonstrably false. Assuming a conservative 4% annual inflation rate, $15 in 2021 would still be nearly double the Federal Minimum Wage, $4 more than the current starting WDW wage and almost $2 more than the "living wage" for the Orlando/Kissimmee metro area. If the union is telling you this, than you need to fire your finance guy and cut the hyperbole.

I think the workers were right to vote down the previous 3% offer, as @CaptainAmerica stated, that would essentially equal a COLA and would not represent any real wage growth for the CM's. However, on its face this revised offer is suprisingly generous and the union should take it seriously. Obviously, they will have to factor the takeaways (aside from the mentioned overtime rules, whatever that may entail, I wouldn't be surprised to see some medical and ancillary benefit concessions included) into the overall package, but on a wage basis alone, this seems more than fair.
I hope the union votes it down because all of the other concessions and changes Disney is wanting to make are down right insulting to the cast honestly.

NearTheEars

If it's worth anything, it's now 1hr of pay for an Attractions Attendant at Universal to park in the parking garage at the Premium Outlets. Secondly, it's about 2hrs just for lunch at Disney...

Wait did they start charging for that garage? We go there about once a month. Never paid.

Gringrinngghost

Original Poster
Wait did they start charging for that garage? We go there about once a month. Never paid.
March 30th,
Paid Indoor Parking, $10: As the only parking garage in the area, Paid Indoor Parking offers a convenient, sheltered parking choice for guests. Paid Indoor Parking features elevator access to two covered walkways leading guests directly into the main center for hassle-free entry. Parking Garage is located closest to Nike entrance.

Tom P.

I hope the union votes it down because all of the other concessions and changes Disney is wanting to make are down right insulting to the cast honestly.
THIS. There a TON of concessions. They’re willing to give 15 for a TON of take.
I have yet to see anyone specify what those concessions are, though. I'm not doubting anyone. I'm just curious as to the specifics.

NearTheEars

March 30th,
Paid Indoor Parking, $10: As the only parking garage in the area, Paid Indoor Parking offers a convenient, sheltered parking choice for guests. Paid Indoor Parking features elevator access to two covered walkways leading guests directly into the main center for hassle-free entry. Parking Garage is located closest to Nike entrance.

I like that their press release said "Parking just got easier!" When absolutely nothing about parking availability changed except for the new $10 charge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom