News Disney offers to pay union members at least $15 by 2021

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Those are annual raises. Not merit raises.
With all due respect, you don't know what you're talking about. Take a look at one of those annual raise statements some time. It says "merit increase" right there on the page.

Not to mention that it's very easy for even entry-level people to get promoted to trainers, which comes with a wage increase and is another form of career advancement.

tissandtully

If I slammed your profession you wouldn't take it personal?
I wouldn't, only because I know that I'm not part of the problem, and they are just simple jokes. You should really hear the things some of these bus drivers do/say. Just take solace that you are one of the good ones. That's all I'm sayin.

peter11435

With all due respect, you don't know what you're talking about. Take a look at one of those annual raise statements some time. It says "merit increase" right there on the page.

Not to mention that it's very easy for even entry-level people to get promoted to trainers, which comes with a wage increase and is another form of career advancement.
I’m not denying that it’s easy to get promoted to increase your pay.

But will all due respect. You don’t know what you are talking about. An annual raise that every employee gets is not the same thing as a merit raise. There are no raises for these cast members based on merit, only time work. Their performance is irrelevant.

Driver

I wouldn't, only because I know that I'm not part of the problem, and they are just simple jokes. You should really hear the things some of these bus drivers do/say. Just take solace that you are one of the good ones. That's all I'm sayin.
Thank you for the compliment, and I know some may say things that are a guess on their part, However much info comes from higher ups and is then changed making the person in contact with the public look awful silly as if they fabricated the information.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
But will all due respect. You don’t know what you are talking about. An annual raise that every employee gets is not the same thing as a merit raise. There are no raises for these cast members based on merit, only time work. Their performance is irrelevant.
Wrong again. There is a baseline increase but you can get more or less based on performance. For example, the baseline in a given year might be 3% but top employees might get 4% and weak employees might get 2% (I have no idea what the actual ranges are). If managers or departments are giving flat increases to their entire departments, then they're being negligent in their responsibilities and they're ignoring policy.

peter11435

Wrong again. There is a baseline increase but you can get more or less based on performance. For example, the baseline in a given year might be 3% but top employees might get 4% and weak employees might get 2% (I have no idea what the actual ranges are). If managers or departments are giving flat increases to their entire departments, then they're being negligent in their responsibilities and they're ignoring policy.
Wrong.

The cast members covered by this contract do not receive more or less based on performance. There are no performance based raises. The standard raise applies to all equally except those that are topped out who receive there own standard increase.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Wrong.

The cast members covered by this contract do not receive more or less based on performance. There are no performance based raises. The standard raise applies to all equally except those that are topped out who receive there own standard increase.
I see where we're missing. You're talking specifically about cast members covered by the CBA. I'm talking about cast members more broadly.

beachlover4444

Personally, I wouldn't mind people making $15 an hour IF they got no OT. I'd rather Disney hire more people and have no need for OT. People working OT on a regular basis are likely to have a negative impact on guest experience. I view that (limited to no OT) as a good thing. Even if they replace the OT hours with technology, instead of additional employees, having well rested employees is a win for guests.
Guests dont realize this but people are forced to work a 6th or 7th day overtime at disney. I have a relative who is at a high end disney resort and she worked for months 6 days a week often more than 8 hours a day and often out late and back early the next day. of course her disney happy side was gone. she's counting the months down to retirement. she's not gonna like this contract because anyone who is later on in their disney career like her with 4 years left, she would only get top pay her last year.

beachlover4444

That's the problem "merit raises " for most CM's they don't exist, competent or not.
they keep pushing raises back or delaying them. my relative has been there 8 years next month. she has gone from 8.50 an hour to 11 during that 8 years. but 1 dollar of that was because she moved up a job classification. guests also dont realize that different jobs make different pay scale and when you switch jobs your pay can go up or down and that not everyone there is union.

beachlover4444

true the best way to increase your wages is to move up. a know someone who went from rides to hotel to get a pay bump

beachlover4444

From Local6:
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. - They've been negotiating for almost a year, but Disney and the unions that represent 38,000 of its workers could be making serious progress toward striking a deal on a wage increase.

The unions have been demanding a minimum wage of $15 an hour, and Disney is now offering to meet that demand by 2021.

But the unions said it's not a done deal yet, because Disney wants to re-negotiate other terms in their contract, such as overtime pay.

Unionized Disney employees huddled around a table into the evening, discussing the latest offer Disney presented Tuesday.

"The company has given us a proposal. They've given an offer today," said Angie McKinnon of Unite Here Local 737. "Our bargaining committee is reviewing it. At this time, we have no further comment."

Disney confirmed that it offered to pay the employees at least $15 per hour by 2021 and said it wants to re-negotiate certain terms in the contract as part of that offer.

"It's on the table, but we have to give certain things back to the company to enable us to get that money," said Bob Harris, a Walt Disney World bus driver.

Since last summer, unions have staged a number of boisterous demonstrations.

In December, members rejected Disney's offer of an annual 3 percent raise with a minimum of 50 cents per hour and a $200 ratification bonus.

Even though the company has upped the offer, union members aren't all ready to jump on the deal.

"The tax breaks are permanent. The company now knows the tax structure, the tax liability they have into the future," said Shawn Britton of Teamsters Local 385. "There's no reason why they cannot offer a really good raise."

The unions said no date has been set to return to the bargaining table to try to iron out their differences, and it's unknown if the unions will present the offer to their members for a vote.

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/disney-offers-to-pay-union-members-at-least-15-by-2021/742337642
Does anyone know what they planned to give each year? like a buck a year or is it more end loaded? and what else are they wanting to take away besides overtime?

disneyflush

3% (which is standard merit raise) of $15.00 is 45 cents. Ohh boy, don't spend it all in one place.

A standard raise of 3% would be amazing for most everyone at my company. We have 28,000 employees, most are factory workers, and the standard annual raise is usually in the 1.7% range and people are happy to get anything. I realize 45 cents isn't much your first year but after being on the job for 10 years and having it compound it can add up to represent a sizable increase over the general starting wage.

RickyM

Guests dont realize this but people are forced to work a 6th or 7th day overtime at disney. I have a relative who is at a high end disney resort and she worked for months 6 days a week often more than 8 hours a day and often out late and back early the next day. of course her disney happy side was gone. she's counting the months down to retirement. she's not gonna like this contract because anyone who is later on in their disney career like her with 4 years left, she would only get top pay her last year.

That’s the way the real world works.. a lot of people in a lot of different industries do the same every week. I have been working 6 and 7 days a week for months now, and a lot of those days are 12hrs....

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
When I saw the title of this thread, my first thought was, "Great! But I wonder what they will have to give up to get it?" And that was confirmed in the article text. Very curious to see what will need to be given up to get $15/hr to start in 2021. This likely will not be a short negotiating process.

Driver

When I saw the title of this thread, my first thought was, "Great! But I wonder what they will have to give up to get it?" And that was confirmed in the article text. Very curious to see what will need to be given up to get $15/hr to start in 2021. This likely will not be a short negotiating process.
Right it hasn't been a short process to date, they just keep extending. By the time it gets settled they will owe CM's a lot of back wages.

Driver

Does anyone know what they planned to give each year? like a buck a year or is it more end loaded? and what else are they wanting to take away besides overtime?
Most CM's would be tap dancing in the streets if they took away overtime. What concerns me is they are talking about OT language which typically is code for ( how can we get out of paying it) but still have bodies here

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom