News Disney offering its Walt Disney World Cast Members a complimentary one-night resort stay ahead of the 50th celebrations

Zipadeelady

In a tourism point of view, give them something free, and they will spend their money elsewhere to help improve profits.
True. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. Plus they also have to use payroll on housekeeping to clean all those rooms so is it really going to be much of a profit? I'm assuming they'll get into the parks for free. If I was a CM i may spend money on a fancy drink but then also bring my own drinks from home to enjoy while sitting by the pool to keep my costs down.

I think its a great thing.

peter11435

Also let’s say 35000 cast members take them up on this offer. That results in 35,000 rooms that will need cleaned that otherwise may have sat empty those nights. At an average of 16 rooms per housekeeper this equates to over 2,000 additional needed shifts to be covered. This helps get people back to work and helps give hours.

Lilofan

True. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. Plus they also have to use payroll on housekeeping to clean all those rooms so is it really going to be much of a profit. I'm assuming they'll get into the parks for free. If I was a CM i may spend money on a fancy drink but then also bring my own drinks from home to enjoy while sitting by the pool to keep my costs down.

I think its a great thing.
It would be interesting if cast members would stay free in the deluxe resorts or get housed in the value resorts like All Star and Pop Century. The allowance of how many in their park passes can go for free will make for cramped quarters when rooms just have two double beds and a very small bathroom.

Zipadeelady

It would be interesting if cast members would stay free in the deluxe resorts or get housed in the value resorts like All Star and Pop Century. The allowance of how many in their park passes can go for free will make for cramped quarters when rooms just have two double beds and a very small bathroom.
I'd go by myself so that I could have a stress free, relaxing day. :happy: Well, and maybe my husband.

peter11435

It will likely me a random mix distributed between all resorts at all levels. Much like was done when certain cast were given complimentary stays during the my magic plus rollout.

zombiebbq

It wasn't expected. Others here are saying it's not enough or that Disney is being cheap, like they expect Disney should do more.
A major part of my negative opinion is that I find Disney is cheap with their employees. I know they could do better, because I worked for a company just as large. Which provided: competitive pay, unlimited vacation and sick days, yearly bonus, parties and treats for free throughout the year, affordable subsidized healthcare, free dental check ups on site through a mobile dentist office, and the ability for new dads to take several months paternity leave and new mothers to take up to a year (amongst other things). All while making record profits. But, I digress.

Again I hope the CMs enjoy their night!

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
It is a requirement that any "respectable" member of WDW Magic hate everything that happens at WDW. It's one of the reasons I take the forums in small doses.
Ehhh..I don't think that's fair.

I think there is just a lot less of the full on pixie dusters here (than other sites) and the ones that are here, have thick enough skin to understand that even the members that are considered "doom & gloomers" love the place too.
I mean why are we all "here" in the first place? ;)

peter11435

You just answered your own question.

This is nice, but it doesn't pay the bills...or take much effort on the part of Disney. And it's only the 1 night.
It’s not really their responsibility to pay your bills though. They have opened things back up and brought people back to work as soon as they reasonably could and there was work available. And they did pay their employees health insurance while they were furloughed and not working in addition to paying them their full wages for the first five weeks.

No, It’s not paying billions of dollars in back wages that they don’t really owe anyone, but it is something. And it’s an exaggeration to say that it takes no effort on their part, and it overlooks the jobs just this action will create while things get back on track.

as for it being only one night, That reeks of the typical nothing is ever good enough entitlement.

TrojanUSC

Exactly. If I was a CM, give me a bonus for all the hard work and additional hazards I've taken on. Or give me extra vacation days. This is completely empty, and its even allowing Disney to make money off their CMs on their day off (which I know can happen anyway).

Par for the course. This is the company that in lieu of holiday bonuses hands out 40% off merchandise and food discounts for their own restaurants/shops and cast members love it.

tpac24

It's not about entitlement, it's about practicality. How many fans scoff at visiting WDW for only a day? From check in to check out, it's less than 20 hours. Not much time to enjoy the resort facilities, or use the room as a break between park visits.

The attitude that "it's not their responsibility / don't owe anyone" is also a gross justification for a corporation's behavior and is another can of worms on to itself. Simply put, many are tired of the attitude that companies like Disney are treated like capitalist deities that should be absolved of any responsibility for their actions, despite their profits and political impact. Anyone that is upset/annoyed that some of us are not always thrilled with corporate Disney's decisions should seriously think about the difference between real, human beings like the front line CMs and an bureaucratic entity run by people with more money than most of us could only dream of.

There are other ways to support employees or show thanks besides what was ultimately chosen. Just as an example, giving everyone an extra paid vacation day would actually be both a more significant gesture and more useful to the average employee.
They work at Disney they aren't storming the beaches at Normandy. Also this isn't communist China so you are able to find other employment if you aren't loving your current situation.
People need to learn to be gracious when something is given to them not and complain because they don't like the gift or feel it's inadequate .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom