Disney OCD - The Little Things That Bug You

PX57chevy

TiggerRPh said:
Oh come on....my kids have never been on a leash. They hold onto our hands and if they won't cooperate...they get a stroller.

Problem solved.

I agree, put your kid in the stroller. I have seen parents yank their kids by that leash as a form of discipline. You could severely hurt a child like that. That's why I have a problem with it.

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No
Yanking the child leash is definatly out of line. There are parents who do treat their children like a dog on a leash, but not all parents use the leash that way.

Again, not everyone can travel comfortably with strollers, and some children are too tall to fit in a stroller comfortably, but not big enough to be given the independence of a "walker".

bsummer

TiggerRPh said:
Oh come on....my kids have never been on a leash. They hold onto our hands and if they won't cooperate...they get a stroller.

Problem solved.

AMEN!!!!!! My grandpaernts put me on a leash one time when my sister and I went on a trip with them, and might I say that is the single most embarrassing thing as well as the worst thing you can do to a child. I was content holding anyone's hand. And if they are losing circulation...losen your grip! I know it may be easy to lose a child in the large masses of people, but I highly doubt anyone would kidnap your child in Disney. If they wanted to do that they would just take the leash from your hand and run away with the kid. And when a child is lost, it's called a lost parent because no child is ever lost, they tell all CM's in the area and have a group of people look for them as well as security gets involved. This happened twice while I was on the CP. Both times the child was found within 10 minutes.

To sum it all up.... Leash=BAD IDEA!!!!!

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No
Children don't lose circulation because of the grip, they lose it from having their hand held up for long periods of time.. Leashes aren't a bad idea it is how they are used that can be a bad thing. And, I never said my child was lost, I said I lost my child.

My homemade child leash isn't a harness system, not that I think they are bad. My child and I are connected to each other's belt loops. So, maybe I should say my comments apply to being connected to my child not having my child harnessed to me. Perhaps my daughter doesn't get embarrassed because she isn't harnessed to me and walked on a leash. I don't believe in child humilation, child leashes are definatly not for every child. But, they can be a good thing for some children. However, a leash should not be used at expense of humiliating a child. Maybe discussing with a child if they walk they hold a hand, if they walk and don't hold a hand, they get "connected to a parent", if they don't want to be connected, they get the stroller. This way, the child can partake in the decision knowing what will happen if they don't listen. But, for me and my children, having them connected to me is comforting to both my daughter and I. I will continue to do so until she is old enough to handle being in the crowd. If she shares with me that she is humiliated, than we will think of another solution together.

tracyandalex

my biggest pet peeve is when we are standing line and the person behind us thinks that if they stand more than 0.5 inches behind us they will miss something. i know it's crowded and everyone wants to see, but can i have a little personal space please!!
oh and parents please watch your kids, this is not a free for all!!

tracy

DisneySam

Oh I have a few too...

-People who don't do the "Disney Shuffle" and sit in the middle. This happened at Philharmagic, I was the 2nd one to go down our row and the man stopped and I pushed past him and went to the end [along with some others behind me.]

-The stupid questions/answers. I am not making this up...at Epcot when I was there on Jan 26 this man came up to a CM at the pin station and asked if there was an live fish/marine life at the Living Seas...and the CM had to think about it for a minute and conversed with another CM with her until finally I interjected yes there is a large aquarium there with marine life. [To be fair I think the CM was pretty new to EPCOT and just started but still.]

-I also overheard a family talking about the monorail on the bus and they said something about that they are going to expand the monorail to the rest of the resorts/parks. Take a second to giggle about that one.

I overheard lots of funny [incorrect] park facts and stuff when I was there, but I just laughed to myself and went on.

-Last but not least I cannot believe I actually witnessed this, but when I was at the Magic Kingdom in Tomorrowland where they have those round stone benches, I saw a mother changing her infant's diaper. It was pretty crowded too that day by the tomorrowland indy speedway I think.
Now I am not a parent so I can't speak from experience, but aren't there baby changing areas in the bathrooms and stuff? I am a bit of a germ freak so it was a little shocking.

DisneySam

tracyandalex said:
my biggest pet peeve is when we are standing line and the person behind us thinks that if they stand more than 0.5 inches behind us they will miss something. i know it's crowded and everyone wants to see, but can i have a little personal space please!!
oh and parents please watch your kids, this is not a free for all!!

tracy

Oh I agree Tracy! This happened to me waiting for Soarin. I am a 3ft of personal space girl [Disney is always an exception b/c of the crowds] but this group was right on top of me, and it made me nervous since I had a back pack on. Finally I just let them in front of me.

Mystic

This is not meant as an attack on anyone who may need/use a wheelchair to handle a day in the parks but if you're going to get an electric wheelchair for these people to use make sure they KNOW how to use it properly! My mother had a woman drive right into the backs of her legs one day with one of these machines. Luckily for her the woman wasn't going very fast and my mom had been wearing her running shoes at the time so they took the brunt of the impact but just imagine if she'd been in her sandals or something. We were also lucky because the horse drawn trolley was stopped right there, we were at the hub by the castle and Cinderella's Surprise Celebration was going on, and the driver was talking to what turned out to be a Main Street Manager. The minute it happened they were both right there making sure my mom was okay. The woman in the electric wheelchair barely spoke English and didn't know how to operate her chair. If you don't know how to operate it then get one of the old fashioned push chairs.:brick:

My two cents. I have more but most have already been covered.:lookaroun

olive10tails

I would like to give my 2 cents about the "leash" discussion. I am going to be having my first child in July. I have seen numerous child "leashes" at WDW and at my local malls, etc. I feel that parents these days do not pay enough attention to their children while at a large place such as WDW or the mall. If you are worried enough/ not paying enough attention, then perhaps one should not take their child to such a place. I will never put my child on a leash. I would much rather be bumped in the ankle 1000 times a day by a stroller at WDW than see a child on a leash. It's embarrassing for the child. Children belong in strollers at WDW until they are old enough to know to stick together.

Dwarful

People in the parks that feel it is completely appropriate to tell others how to deal with their children. You don't know their circumstances and they are probably doing the absolute best they can, rude or sarcastic comments don't help anyone.

People who loudly announce to anyone in ear shot that "boy, that kid is WAY to old for a stroller"...again, if you don't know the child, how do they know the age? My 3 year old nephew is bigger in size: height and weight than my 5 year old daughter, if your not paying for the stroller rental why get worked up about it?

"Curbstealers" as my husband calls them. Those people who think they have the right to squeeze their tush in that 3 inch space on the curb 5 minutes before parade time when you've been sitting there for 1-2 hours.

anyone who says "I'm bored" while at wdw :)

nyfrenchy

- "oh you're going to Disney World AGAIN?"
- standing in line with stinky people
- standing in line with farting people :cry:
- teenagers yelling their lungs out on the non-thrilling parts of a ride

somehow related to Disney World:
- people on those boards who can't spell DEFINITELY or RIDICULOUS or confuse THEN and THAN, THEIR and THERE...

Slosh

I really don't care how embarassing the leash may be, my only problem with it is fast kid on leash = instant tripwire

my biggest concern so far has been the electric wheelchairs. I was leaving LMA with my cousin when some lady in a chair stopped randomly in the middle of a large moving crowd. This caused an instant traffic jam, and by the time I finally made it around her she decided that was the time to start moving again. For some reason I had picked that day to not wear boots, and ended up yelling a few... non-Disney things before I regained my composure. I mean come on, wheres the sense in stopping in the middle of a huge moving crowd?

I have come up with a new game to play with people who insist on stopping in the middle of the row. I squeeze myself past and see which one doesn't yell when I bang into their knees or step on their sandal-clad feet. I think I'm gonna call it Survivor: The American Adventure, but thats not set in stone yet.

Sledge

Account Suspended
Original Poster
DisneySam said:
-Last but not least I cannot believe I actually witnessed this, but when I was at the Magic Kingdom in Tomorrowland where they have those round stone benches, I saw a mother changing her infant's diaper. It was pretty crowded too that day by the tomorrowland indy speedway I think.
Now I am not a parent so I can't speak from experience, but aren't there baby changing areas in the bathrooms and stuff? I am a bit of a germ freak so it was a little shocking.
I saw one ever worse. Y'all know how backed up it can get in the Peter Pan/iasw area and sure enough there was a lady and her husband changing her babies poopy diaper on top of a trash can! It was disgusting, got a lot of looks from people, and it was tempting not to say anything to them. Changing your baby anywhere other than the bathroom is pretty gross, but why would you do it on top of a trash can in an area that 200+ people are trying to squeeze through.

Sledge

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I also do not like the big obese people that are in the motorized wheelchairs and think they own the way. For some reason it bothers me when the only reason they are in the wheel chair is because they are too large to walk around all day, and then they get to go to the front of lines for having the wheelchair. A lot of times I'll see them going through a crowded area honking at people so they can get by. Most the time there isn't really any where to go but they'll continue to lay on the horn until people move out of their way. I'm not trying to be insensitive I just thing its strange that they get special privledges of going to the front of the line for being in a wheelchair because they are huge. :veryconfu

Slosh

I don't think wheelchair guests get to go to the front of the line anymore- they wait at the front of the line until the rest of their group goes through the line.

Sledge

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Slosh said:
I don't think wheelchair guests get to go to the front of the line anymore- they wait at the front of the line until the rest of their group goes through the line.
Are you sure about that? I was there for Christmas and I saw a few guest in wheel chairs go to the front of the line.

Raven66

moriah,
I applaud you.:sohappy:

The first time we took our daughter to WDW she was 5. I went back and forth with myself about getting a "leash" (your idea is much better, btw). We finally decided not to do it. She thought that she would be ok without it. She stayed between my husband and I almost the whole time. We held her hand and everything is fine. Thankfully. I couldn't even imagine losing her in a crowd and not being able to get to her. :eek: I do not think people that "lose" their children are uncaring parents. It irritates me when people say stuff like that. You could take a drink out of a bottle of water and they could be gone, that quick. So if we go with some people's theory, parents should never eat or drink. Ok enough ranting.

I can't stand those people who feel the need to do that high pitched scream when the lights go out in some rides or shows. HM for one. The room is too small and too crowded for that awful screaming. It's so annoying. So stop it!:D

Captain Hank

Sledge said:
Are you sure about that? I was there for Christmas and I saw a few guest in wheel chairs go to the front of the line.
It depends on the attraction. The newer attractions have queues large enough to accomodate wheelchairs, so wheelchair-bound guests wait in the regular line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom